Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fantastic flight deals with RYANAIR

Poster: A snowHead
The Ryanair website is showing prices of £5.00 per person each way for flights from Stansted into Lourdes which covers many of the resorts in the west and central Pyrenees. Flights must by booked by Thursday for travel in January and February. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is that £5 as in "prior to luggage, ski carriage, airport tax, wheelchair surcharge, credit card handling fee, check-in fee, use loo fee, etc."?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
crosbie wrote:
Is that £5 as in "prior to luggage, ski carriage, airport tax, wheelchair surcharge, credit card handling fee, check-in fee, use loo fee, etc."?

I'm guessing that for 99.9% of people planning on going skiing they're not going to have too much bother with a wheelchair surcharge.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dav wrote:
crosbie wrote:

I'm guessing that for 99.9% of people planning on going skiing they're not going to have too much bother with a wheelchair surcharge.

They might on the way back Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry Ski Guide, I'm not intending to get at you, but I'm not sure why people keep posting these. Ryanair have £5 or even £0 offers so frequently it hardly seems worth noting, unless the offers apply to luggage and/or ski carriage - those usually work out more expensive than the flights.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dav, it may have been EasyJet that had a non-discrimination policy re mobility surcharges.

Here's a sample breakdown of a £5 flight:
Flight: £5 out 7:20pm, £5 back 10:40pm. (sat/sat)
Checked bag: £30
Web check-in: £0
1 pair skis: £80
No insurance: £0
Visa Credit card: £10.

That comes to £130 for a return flight.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Use an elecrtron or prepaid mastercard and avoid the cr. card charge
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
crosbie wrote:

Buy a second hand pair of skis when you get to resort and chuck em away when you leave (shouldn't cost £80)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ryanair have added an explicit table of fees to the website. Here are those you probably won't be able to avoid on a ski trip. You can't check-in at the airport any more. It says "Online check-in is available from 15 days prior up to 4 hours before the scheduled times of flight departure. Please note - Online check-in closes 4 hours prior to flight departure". It doesn't say, but I assume the online check-in fee is per flight, not per return journey and it's not clear to me what you have to do regarding check-in for return flights, especially if you're away more than 15 days.

Each pair of prices relates online & call centre rate.

Online Check-In (not charged on some promotional fares) £5 £10 (this is a sneaky one, it used to be free online for ALL flights, not just some =.

Administration Fee - Per passenger/ Per One Way Flight This fee relates to costs associated with Ryanair's booking system and processing payments. £5 €5
Visa Electron & Mastercard Prepaid Debit Card: As a special offer to the above card holders, Ryanair, for a limited period only, will not apply an administration fee
does this mean they're going to start charging it for ALL cards?

Checked Baggage Fees - (Each passenger is permitted to check-in up to 2 bags with a maximum weight of 15kg per bag)

1st Bag - 15kg allowance -per bag/ per One Way Flight £15 £35
2nd Bag - 15kg allowance -per bag/ per One Way Flight £35 £70
Excess Baggage Fee - Per Kilo £20

Sports Equipment Fee charged per Item/ Per One Way Flight A maximum weight of 20kg per item £40 £50

That's

- £40 to add to the promo fares return flight for paying with anything except an Electron/Prepay card and taking a bag

- if you're taking your skis that's another £80 (nearly as much as hiring for a week Shocked)

- possibly another £5 or £10 for the online check-in

£120-130 return to add to the published ticket price rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
When you check-in on line make sure you print 2 copies of the check in ticket. A friend of mine printed his outbound and return check-in tickets and they both came out on the same page. He flew out and when he checked-in they took the paper off him. On the return he had no check-in ticket (they'd taken it) and he had to pay the check-in fee. He wasn't the only one on the flight to get caught.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I presume that 'check-in' now means "Consider it as if I have turned up at the airport - even though I haven't". No doubt this affects refunds (do they exist?) and insurance claims for missed flight, etc.

Is there a major disadvantage of not checking in at the earliest opportunity? It does seem most strange to check-in 15 days in advance. 15 hours perhaps, but not days.

Perhaps Ryan air is preparing for the un-utilised return ticket scam? This is where a return can be priced at £15, but the outbound single is priced at £150. So, if you fail to make the return trip your credit card is immediately charged £135.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I suppose we still have to look at the overall cost and decide if it's a reasonable charge for the journey compared with other options, even if the way it's promoted it distasteful.

If I wanted to fly to Geneva with skis, I'd be paying Ryanair something in the region of £140. With Easyjet it's £3.50 booking fee (if paying with debit card & I think it's per booking not per flight) £18 for a 20Kg hold bag & £37 for skis, so that's £58.50 plus the advertised fares which vary quite a lot - for flights at convenient times on a Sat the overall fare would end up about the same.

Comparing this with flying scheduled from my local airport (which goes via Schipol)

The scheduled fare is £249 return including 20Kg baggage & check-in etc, but it seems from the small print that if I want to take skis without extra charge they can be taken separately, but have to be part of my 20Kg, otherwise it's £40 per flight surcharge. It seems grossly unfair that they allow a 20kg set of golf clubs on top of the 20kg luggage without extra charge!

To make it a fair comparison, to fly from my local airport which is only 3 miles away, I would not be paying petrol or parking which usually costs me £60+ per trip away depending on which airport I use.

So, assuming I could get my total baggage inc skis/boots to under 20Kg, it'd cost me £249 to do this compared with £130+petrol/parking = £190 for a Ryanair flight and probably something similar for Easyjet, so the "budget" airlines would be something like £60 cheaper overall.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
crosbie, it's between 4 hrs and 15 days before the flights, so I think the idea is you do the check-in and print boarding cards for both outbound and return trips before leaving home. What happens if you're away more than 15 days I don't know - I guess if you have no internet/printer facility you have to do it on the phone or pay a surcharge at the airport.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
crosbie wrote:
Dav, it may have been EasyJet that had a non-discrimination policy re mobility surcharges.

Here's a sample breakdown of a £5 flight:
Flight: £5 out 7:20pm, £5 back 10:40pm. (sat/sat)
Checked bag: £30
Web check-in: £0
No insurance: £0

That comes to £130 for a return flight.

I agree that the extra charges would push the price up, however for anyone considering this flight anyway (or others like it) where there are not any direct alternatives it is better to pay less than you would normally if at all possible.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
crosbie wrote:

Perhaps Ryan air is preparing for the un-utilised return ticket scam? This is where a return can be priced at £15, but the outbound single is priced at £150. So, if you fail to make the return trip your credit card is immediately charged £135.

Ryanair only sell one way flights so they dont have to prepare for anything.
I checked in 18 days before departure in September this year so you can check in earlier than stated on the website.

Also each passenger is only allowed 15kgs no matter if you have paid extra for more bags your allowance stays the same. You can pay for 3 bags but dont expect to turn up with 3 bags at 15kgs each. You will be charged excess on anything over your 15kg allowance. Dont forget though you can take 10kgs hand baggage and although they are hot on checking your bag is the right size they dont seem to weigh them. I take at least 6 Ryanair flights per month and have yet to see them weigh your hand baggage.
latest report
Ski Guide, the pricing starts making the following scenario look attractive:

7 people get £10 return flights to Grenoble (sat/sat) on a debit card.
1 person drives an 8 seater people carrier around everyone's house on the Thursday night picking up ski equipment and 'hold luggage'.
The driver takes all the gear out to the resort for the Friday evening. Drops the skis and luggage off at the chalet on the Saturday morning. Spends Saturday skiing, then drives off to the airport to pick everyone up at 10pm.

Reverse on the way back. (begging the Saturday night hotel for a secure room to dry off everyone's skis and store 8 people's luggage, whilst everyone is driven to Grenoble)

Everyone gets to ski on the return Saturday.
The driver also gets the first Saturday skiing and 2 extra nights' accom. and that and the total travel cost is divided by 8.

Let's say £410 for fuel, tolls, channel, two single nights, +1 extra day on ski pass. That comes to £60 per head with no limit on luggage weight or number of skis carried.

BARGAIN!
snow report
jibber wrote:
crosbie wrote:

Ryanair only sell one way flights so they dont have to prepare for anything.
I checked in 18 days before departure in September this year so you can check in earlier than stated on the website.

Also each passenger is only allowed 15kgs no matter if you have paid extra for more bags your allowance stays the same. You can pay for 3 bags but dont expect to turn up with 3 bags at 15kgs each. You will be charged excess on anything over your 15kg allowance. Dont forget though you can take 10kgs hand baggage and although they are hot on checking your bag is the right size they dont seem to weigh them. I take at least 6 Ryanair flights per month and have yet to see them weigh your hand baggage.

they sometimes weigh them at prestwick. it's daft though, i just took the offending article out and put it in my pocket
ski holidays
I'd class myself as reasonably well-informed when it comes to booking flights and holidays yet I'd never consider flying by RyanAir. It's not that I don't believe that they're probably good value it's just that there's so much small print (charges for this, charges for that) that I know I'd get caught out by some clause that would mean I'd end up paying over the odds.

Also some of the attitude of some of their front-line customer service staff leave a lot to be desired, judging by some of the TV clips I've seen.
latest report
Crosbie Brilliant. Can you pick my kit up next Thursday evening please? See you at Grenoble.
snow conditions
Anyone run into problems with the 20kg ski bag limit yet? I carried skis last week but managed to get free ski carriage so had 4 ski bags booked free (two of us travelling)! So even if there was a weight concern could just put it in another bag but probably won't be the situation for the majority of snowheads this season.
ski holidays
Tiger2, I started a new thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1395067. If I had the time I'd be happy to do the drive.
snow report
Butterfly,
I've just spent a week in Verbier - return flights London-Geneva were £103 with Swiss Air (London city -GVA out, GVA-Zurich-LHR return)
ski carriage included.
flights booked approx 2 months in advance on Swiss air website...
snow report
I checked an EasyJet flight last week. Jan 14 East Mids to Geneva - £80 inc taxes and snowboard - Excludes checking in a suitcase. Thought that was pretty cheap. Shame
snow conditions
They weigh your hand luggage at Bergamo, 10kg max
snow report
[quote="jibber"]
crosbie wrote:

Dont forget though you can take 10kgs hand baggage and although they are hot on checking your bag is the right size they dont seem to weigh them. I take at least 6 Ryanair flights per month and have yet to see them weigh your hand baggage.

I took less Ryanair flight than you (only averaging 2 return trips per month)
However, I would say you have to be careful with the hand luggage. Yes, they check the size of the bag a lot more than the weight (what I don´t understand is that they allow all those day )backpacks and sport bags that is definitely over the 20cm thick limit through and yet keep asking to have my just-under-20cm trolley bag to do the ¨cage test¨).However, it seems they started checking the size and weight more frequently over the past month or so.

I was at Stansted last weekend and was asked to do the cage test and weight the bag (with my handbag). Then I was asked to put the handbag into my trolley bag (which is fair enough because of their one bag policy). What took me by surprise was that they asked me to weight the bag again after I did that in front of them, I was like, ¨Is it possible that my bags get magically heavier by putting everything into one bag?¨ Of course it still weighted the same.

But, yes, they do check the weight .... at least they did it twice on my bag within 3 minutes last week.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy