Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wristguards

Poster: A snowHead
Following in the time honoured tradition of the Hemet Thread. Toofy Grin

Following my little 'kissing' of the snowflex and having now had the cast removed I have had to buy some wristguards. I have bought the Flexmeter type that come right up the arm. I have to say that they are very comfy and hopefully will stop me breaking the same bits again:

However:

Is it trendy to wear wristguards?

Should Wristguards be made mandatory for everybody based on my own very limited experience and observations?

Should I look down on those not wearing wristguards?

Now what about padded undershorts!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kevindonkleywood, My wife having broken both wrists (each on a seperate occasion) wears guards whilst skiing but these are the NHS issue ones which according to the man who re built her wrists offer the maximum protection to the parts of her wrist that require it.
She also has some wrist warming gloves that she wears when not skiing as cold weather tends to cause pain in the bones and warming lowers the pain.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boredsurfing, Interestingly (for me that is) the guy I work with bought guards after he broke his wrist and was raving about the flexmeter guards and urging me to get some. I thought it was a good idea, but never got round to it till afterwards... Embarassed

I know guards are mainly for boarders?? but it would be interesting to see how many people use them and how many people only bought/had them made after an accident.

Admittedly the rest of the post is just stirring... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A few years ago I had a pair of gloves with a built in wrist guard - really glad I did, tried boarding for an afternoon, resulting in big ouch. Pretty sure I'd have broken my wrist without it.

Saying that, I've never had a wrist guard since, and whilst skiing have never ever felt like I needed one.

I Imagine if you get some big burly ones (MTB style?) and wear them over your coat you'll look super-gnarly Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I use Level gloves with the 'biomex' wrist/thumb protector thingy.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999,

Quote:

super-gnarly

Excellent Very Happy

An effect surely only enhanced by the JLo effect of the padded shorts Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Combined with a full face helmet and you might be competing with Cuck Norris Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you have a wrist breaking fall but prevent the break in your wrist then is it not more likely that you will break your Humerus or collar bone instead. Which could be much worse.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The bigger bones further up your arm are more capable of absorbing the force though (especially if the force is spread over all the bones along the arm), and I guess it depends how you fall anyway.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a pair of Flexmeter gloves with the guard build in - like the wrist guard, but not now impressed with the quality of the gloves, which are starting to fall apart after not long enough considering the price tag. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clarky999, i suppose. I have seen alot of friends in slings from broken collar bone's. Depends which you consider to be the lesser of the two evils.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I generally wear wrist guards for boarding (dakine), and went through a phase where I would have worn them for skiing other than they make holding poles tricky. Prior, I managed break my wrist skiing on plastic.

I'm not sure about how much protection they give in a really big stack, but I reckon they have saved me a few times on those little toppling backwards type falls onto hard pack.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm a skier and have never worn them. For boarding or after breakage and possibly park for in the park I can see the point. I wear a fullface helmet (have done so all my life, from 7 years old onward) and a backprotector with neck support which have saved me on a couple of occasions including a massive wipe out, due to ski snappage, from which I was lucky to walk away with a torn neck muscle and a (hairline) crack in my 5th vertebra.
My Reusch gloves keep my hands safe with a steel plate over the knuckles.

kevindonkleywood, I'm against any form of mandatory wearing of protection, be it on-slope helmet law or whatever, it should be your own choice. Based on my experiences I think it pretty wise to wear a helmet, but if you don't want to it's hardly my problem. Same goed for any other protection you might want to wear.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have often wondered about a back protector. Since sustaining a compressive fracture of three vertebrae just below the small of my back when I was about 20 I've worn one on a horse (which was how I did the original injury - coming off and landing on a tree stump). My salopettes have a solid piece in that area, but I don't know if it would be wise to invest in something that gave extra local protection just there.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I wear wrist guards for skating but not for skiing.
snow report
kevindonkleywood, If you're a boarder or a park rat then fine, otherwise overkill...
snow report
Humerus/collar bone have better blood supply than some of the bones (and ligaments) in the wrist and heal better...

Scaphoid can be a bad one, so can the scapho-lunate ligament.

Not quite decided where I stand, as I've never upset my wrist skiing, and just wear a neoprene support under my gloves for warmth (better than undergloves IME) I have decided to avoid boarding though, but am better at falling in an organised way when doing sport than when walking along the street Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
Here in NZ, we don't have a NHS, but there's a government insurance scheme for accidents, injuries etc. If you bust your wrist boarding, and you're not wearing guards, they can refuse to cover you. Which gets expensive, especially if you can't work. So it's not compulsory, but it's not worth taking a chance with not wearing them IMO.

Anyway, I've tried the dakine and protec ones, with the metal bar that runs under the hand and up the wrist, and really don't like them. I've found the RED ones, which have flexible plastic strips that run over the back of the hand are way more comfortable, and seem to work just as well.

BTW, after a season, my wrist guards are the stinkiest thing ever, worse than my boots or helmet. Mad eh.
ski holidays
Quote:

BTW, after a season, my wrist guards are the stinkiest thing ever, worse than my boots or helmet. Mad eh

I am pleased that I am not the only one with stinky hands Smile, my gloves are as bad as the boots and even with antibac spray its only a couple of days before they revert to type Embarassed
ski holidays
lol

I had to chuck one set of wrist guards away this year - stopped to go fishing on the way home, still wearing them, caught a beauty salmon, cleaned it, still wearing the guards to keep my hands a bit warmer - it was minus 6, and they stank of fish so badly the next day. I had to stick with them for a few days, because the nearest ski shop was nearly 3 hours away, but the wife wouldn't come near me Very Happy
snow report
Randomsabreur,

Quote:

Scaphoid can be a bad one

yep done that one too.....you would think i was clumsy Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy