Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yes or No to wearing a helmet for skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Why wait a few years. Satski is available now for GPS phones! Not only will it get you to the coffee stop by quickest/avoidblack/avoidred route but you can call up details of the coffee shop

http://www.satsportsgps.com/satski/default.html
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yup madmole, I know the technology's available now ( Toofy Grin ), but it will still take a couple of years before it becomes as common on the piste as mobile phones.

Perhaps there will then be a very good reason to wear helmets as everyone follows precisely the same lines?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd wear a helmet if I could pop my sim card into it and it had built-in iPod, head-up display, surround sound, wi-fi and satellite connectivity and maybe a Nespresso maker and a beer tap connected via tubes like wot them F1 blokes have. Some piped oxygen and air conditioning would also help. S'pose the satellite dish would need to track the satellite as I move so might need to work on that bit... would hate to miss Home & Away.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think that with the increase in Skier density on piste we have seen over the recent years and the increase in speed the newer ski's have allowed that Resorts will really have to revisit the ground rules of skiing and do more to enforce safe practice and educate folks thgat there are actually rules
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
madmole, I've noticed a lot more dense skiers about the place too.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
madmole, the best and easiest solution is to go where the crowds aren't.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bode Swiller wrote:
Axsman, do you wear one?

Sometimes. NehNeh

Here's a thought - why don't we ask the mods to put all the thousands of Helmet thread posts into one big thread labelled 'Helmets the (ongoing) great debate' and make it a sticky?

Then whenever newbies, (or bored trolls) want to re-ask the same questions again, they can have an easily accessible, single place to do so.

Just a thought.

Here's another - only 44 sleeps until I going skiing in AUSTRIA! (with my helmet) Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
crosbie wrote:
stoatsbrother,

It's also a bit like American football vs rugby. Does the padding and protective armour in the former improve all players' safety or counter-intuitively, increase the number and severity of collisions?

"Because everyone else is wearing one" may become one of the most valid reasons for wearing a helmet (and other body armour), simply to retain vulnerability-parity.

I think we need some smileys with helmets on so people can indicate which side of the holy schism they dress on. Cool

the american football analogy is rather good, hence why they had to ban spearing, and the face mask foul in that sport.

to be honest dont see what the fuss is about, wear one if you want and dont if you dont.
i have one but i pay way more attention to my knees than anything else so..
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Here's another - only 44 sleeps until I going skiing in AUSTRIA! (with my helmet)
Axsman, and only 9 more sleeps until I go skiing in AUSTRIA! (without my helmet)

Quote:

Sometimes.
and that's probably about as close to the correct answer we'll get.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boredsurfing,
Quote:

(Btb Those piste patrols and first aid staff only wear helmets if riding a skidoo)
...and the moon is made of cheese? This comes comes from the same place (flat earth society?) where the unfortunate guy on the moguls received a ski. It fails the reality check, sorry.

Resort staff on skis/boards overwhelmingly wear helmets -the ski companies such as CDA simply cannot afford the insurance fallout from neg claims when accidents happen. Worth counting, and if you actually look the reality will perhaps come as a big surprise Shock Shock

I'm off to the alps tomorrow to sharpen my poles, wax my skis, and polish my helmet(s) - Ski demo in Avoriaz Saturday/Sunday beckons Cool

Our wits will be needed us to avoid being skiied into by the vainglorious magoo's out there that do not have the confidence to use a helmet. BTW: Has anybody whilst counting the imaginary piste staff without lids actually noticed how many skiiers without helmets carry a mirror to ensure their hair still looks good after a spill? Puzzled If anyone has done the survey, please can you start another topic?!

Bode Swiller, 1 SLEEP avec smiley helmets = (Very Happy ©8D (:þ ©Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for that reply stoatsbrother and to all other contributors - Decision made, I'm going to get one.....I typically have a sore enough head most mornings whilst away, so I see no reason why I should add to That! ....... Razz
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Resort staff on skis/boards overwhelmingly wear helmets

Where? I don't think I've ever seen any of ours in a helmet. They certainly aren't obliged to.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
had an interesting comment from the head of the ski school in kaprun, He wears one while teaching, mostly incase some idiot skis into him! thougt that was classic Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
primoz wrote:
But on skiing, where I'm most of time over 90km/h...

To be fair, that's not most of us, fasted I've ever done is 90ish.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For everyone who chooses not to wear a helmet on aesthetical grounds, what looks better?

or

CCL - at some point you must have suffered a severe blow to the head without a helmet. If any normaly functioning human was bored by a thread, they would have the common sense and intelligence to not click it, so they wouldn't have to read it/troll it/think about...
snow report
Neither:
ski holidays
I bought a Dainese Race helmet for indoor slalom and it is so light and comfortable I forget it's on, except when it gets too hot which is often indoor.
Having worn various different helmets in the mountains, most severely restrict your hearing which is a critical safety issue in my mind so for anything other than racing I would prefer to wear a helmet with no ear pieces such as the POC Skull Light.
Boeri make one of the few Carbon Fibre helmets as far as I know which is arguably superior to polycarbonate.

Some helmets don't appear to wrap the back of the head very well and allow the helmet to slide forwards thereby increasing the risk of a serious neck injury ( a bit like aerodynamic bicycle helmets which are positively lethal IMHO as many MTB users with broken necks can testify)
FIS endorsed helmets and others like them don't appear to have this problem.

For small but fast crashes I have found that my helmet increases the liklehood and force of my skull hitting the ground significantly where my own smaller helmetless head would never have touched or touched far more lightly.
Prior to wearing a helmet I have had big crashes on my head and never had a problem.
For me personally I don't like putting on a sweaty helmet after lunch (when the sweat is cold) but otherwise a least feel a little safer when offpiste that may have hidden rocks or perhaps at the end of the day when the crazy lift staff and snowboarders are all careering down out of control.

Lastly with the helmet on I'm constantly bumping my skis with it when stood in a lift line but then that's probably because of all the times I have hit my head without a helmet on wink
ski holidays
Forgot to mention... the magic material that reacts to knocks is called "D3O" and that is what I intend to wear freeskiing from now on. (Beanies and body armour)
The sooner they put this stuff in car interiors the safer we will all be.
latest report
Vorda, smith variant brim has lots of venting.mostly it will prevent sharp edges of skis or boards from cutting you if you get hit
snow report
Wow, I had to go back to see if I even posted in this topic Smile
I got the Variant (non brim, I dislike the brim version) a few weeks ago; mainly because of the fit & venting.

Thanks for the advice though, definitely a sweet helmet!
ski holidays
Quote:

5. they cut you off from the mountain
8. They make ipod head phones tricky to put in

er, are you aware of how contradictory and just plain idiotic these two statements are? Other than blindfolding yourself, they is no more sure way to cut yourself off from the mountain than listening to an iPod. Quite apart from the philistine element of listening to music while being in the most serene mountain environment, I sincerely hope you are not in an accident that involves the rozzers. They won't care too much about you not wearing a helmet, that's entirely your choice and your responsibility, but if you're listening to an iPod and found to be liable for the accident you may find yourself in a bit of a sticky situation, including potential insurance problems.

Ditch the tunes, listen to the sound your skis/board are making and "tune in" to the mountain. And if you find it impossible to ditch the tunes, please do me a favour and stay on the nursery slopes where you will cause the least damage.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 10-01-10 11:23; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Quote:

Wow, I had to go back to see if I even posted in this topic

Don't worry, once you get past the first 50 threads on helmets it all becomes a blur (not to mention a bore) anyway.
ski holidays
For me it was an easy choice, i ride mountainbikes alot...fast! I would never ever ride without my helmet but at the same time i don't feel like superman because i have one on, it just feels normal!
I use one for skiing and always will. My mates try and take the wee wee but are slowly coming around to the idea. I just ignore them. They think they look silly but one of them has just bought a d30 beanie and to be honest it doesnt look any better as it's so thick! I have a new poc helmet which is super comfy, keeps my ears warm and has adjustable venting etc. I don't even think about it when skiing and deffinately don't think it makes me invincible, it just feels normal to wear it!

Obdviously this is all persoanl preference and some people will never wear one. I would reccomend them if some one was to ask however!
ski holidays
Having sustained one hell of crack across the back of my head, from a chair lift of all things Embarassed , whilst wearing one last year, I can see a very good reason for continuing to wear one - I think it would have literally knocked me senseless had I been in a bobble hat.
snow report
Wear a helmet!

PSG
snow conditions
gilleski wrote:
Wear a helmet!
... especially if you like skiing on the roof

www.ribcap.ch - anyone got one?
latest report
I wore my ski lid whilst mountain biking yesterday. I did descend a steep slope at the back of the Gresford Ski Slope site (the one that keeps on being started and never finished) and took a good bail out as the bike started going sidways towards a very deep water rut. It was so slippy that when standing with the bike to walk down I just tended to slide on my feet.
snow conditions
I bought a POC and it looks so cool I wear it all the time, even when teaching beginners. Besides, it's always my clients who seem to crash into me Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy