Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Yes or No to wearing a helmet for skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Last year in Kaprun I saw a boarder fall and his mate behind him hit the same bit and went flying too with his board clattering the helmet of the other guy...At the point I thought, that's it, I'm wearing a helmet next year.....I've been quite surprised at the increase in helmet wearing by 'locals' especially over the last 2/3 years in Europe!! So here we are, I'm heading away to ADH 5-6 weeks and I still haven't bought one....Typically I would wear as little as possible as in zero hattage if I can avoid it and I'm concerned I'll wear it on the first day and ditch it due to lack of comfort, too much heat etc....Have you guys any thoughts or pointers for me?

I thank you....

Bendy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I haven't seen a helmet thread for some time Laughing

Try on many models to ascertain fit, get vents, light colours reflect the sun in spring Cool
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Someone last season was showing everyone their funky 'smart' hat. This was apparently a flexible clothlike fabric beanie, but could withstand a falling ice axe, because upon contact the fabric would go "Oh oh. This looks like an undesirable impact. Time to harden up pronto" and simply bounce off, leaving the wearer under the assumption a small snail's parachute had failed to open.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ben Dover, I suspect a LARGE helmet would be most suiting to yourself....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Ben Dover,

I ride horses - big, powerful, fast thoroughbreds - over big jumps, at speed - for fun Toofy Grin

I ALWAYS wear a helmet - even when just messing about in the paddock at home. I've hurt myself lots doing this - including taking out the jump with my body! - but have never been in the situation where I've been worried about head injuries. Riding hats are pretty much all the same - black, ugly, very, very hot - but thank God they work

I've skiied for 2 weeks - very slowly - without a helmet - and have had at least one fall where I've been aware of my head hitting the floor with some force - and that's going as slowly as I could. I would hate to fall off my skis doing 40mph Shocked This winter, I'm getting a helmet. GET ONE! it's not worth the risk

Rant over.

P.S. riding horses is great summer exercise for winter skiing - everyone should try it!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

riding horses is great summer exercise for winter skiing - everyone should try it!

yes, I can imagine it would be. Terrific for the adductor muscles; must be a while since we've had a thread about those. wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes alannm, we have a shop in Dublin called The Great Outdoors where an assistant seemed very eager to measure me for said helmet....... wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Search Search Search...its an amazing function really wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ben Dover, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Has 'Helmet' reached sticky status yet?

I could suggest that the wearing of helmets is generally considered dangerous given ski collisions are so lethal no skier should be given the impression by a helmet that they are any less fragile.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
geoff10 wrote:
P.S. riding horses is great summer exercise for winter skiing - everyone should try it!
When I used to teach skiing, you could spot the horse riders a mile off. They were indeed mostly fit Toofy Grin but made crap skiers; all stiff and they simply couldn't flow with it. Generally a "good" riding posture is a poor skiing posture. Western style riders are a bit better.

Anyway, helmets. If you don't hit anything immoveable like a tree, rock wall, fence post, pylon, piste basher or person etc then there isn't much need for one in everyday recreational skiing. In simple falling situations it is rare to hit your head (I've managed it only once in over 3 decades and there's nothing wrong with me vicar). Ah, ah ha ha ha, but what if someone hits you? Just don't put yourself in that situation (kids don't yet think the same way so I'm all in favour of protecting them as much as poss, until they can demonstrate the necessary awareness). You do just have to think about where you ski and where you stop. The media hysteria and hype (eg Natasha Richardson) has been totally over played and few mention the 47 Tequilla Slammers washed down with a carafe of red and a dozen large beers that people habitually pour inside their heads.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bode Swiller, so do you or dont you? Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="Bode Swiller"][ When I used to teach skiing, you could spot the horse riders a mile off. They were indeed mostly fit Toofy Grin but made crap skiers; all stiff and they simply couldn't flow with it. Generally a "good" riding posture is a poor skiing posture. Western style riders are a bit better.

I hope that the riders you taught were amateurs who rode for fun. As a pro the 'ability to flow with it' is one of the most important skills you require to be good on a horse. And even more important is softness, both in the hands and your position. Most of my mates who also ride full time picked up skiing very quickly - when your turn starts to point down the slope and cause the skis to accelerate, they were all able to stay relaxed and go with the skis, knowing that they would slow once the turn was completed. Embarassed

End of rant! wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ford, I don't. (But, like a schmuck I bought one a few years ago - anyone want one?)
snow report
crosbie wrote:
Has 'Helmet' reached sticky status yet?

Haven't looked at the Susanna Reid thread for a while... Shocked
snow conditions
Jumper, I'm sure they were amateurs. Not a pro like yourself.
ski holidays
top 10 list of reasons not to wear a helmet...

1. I dont ski fast
2. my head will get hot
3. they look funny
4. they are heavy.
5. they cut you off from the mountain
6. they dont work anyway
7. they are expensive
8. They make ipod head phones tricky to put in
9. I never hit my head

And the top reason ...

My mates dont wear one.

NehNeh

Tux
ski holidays
My top 10 list of reasons why I've bought a helmet for the first time in 20+ years of skiing...

1. I do ski fast
2. my head won't get hot because it has adjustable vents
3. the one I've bought doesn't look funny
4. they are NOT heavy, they're made of polystyrene.
5. I can't see how they cut you off from the mountain
6. they do work
7. they are expensive. I'll grant you that one
8. They make ipod head phones tricky to put in. You can buy ones which allow you to wear headphones, but I never do anyway because I think it's dangerous
9. I never hit my head. YET.
10. It's safer, simple as that.

OK, so I've never had a serious head injury in all my years of skiing but I have had people ski into me more than once - I was taken out from behind by a stupid snowboarder only a year ago.

To my way of thinking, it's better safe than sorry.
snow report
Picadilly wrote:
1. I do ski fast
Then your hypothetical collision will hypothetically kill you with or without a lid.
ski holidays
Dam! forgot "They mess up my hair"

NehNeh

I have never ever worn a helmet sking.

but then again, Im a snowboarder NehNeh

Tux
snow report
tuxpoo wrote:

5. they cut you off from the mountain
8. They make ipod head phones tricky to put in

Laughing

The SCGB advocate wearing a helmet, therefore I'm out
ski holidays
Guvnor, They are also involved in distributing scary stats so that their commercial partner can sell more helmets (or so it might appear to anyone as cynical as me)... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/6461068/British-skiers-shun-helmets-despite-Natasha-Richardson-death.html

The survey, which was conducted by Ski Club of Great Britain and Ski Republic, a ski and snowboard equipment hire company, also found that of the 17,500 head injuries sustained last season, 7,700 injuries and 11 deaths could have been avoided if a helmet had been worn.

Sounds like carnage doesn't it. Why would anyone go skiing or boarding?
latest report
The problem is, the only good reason for wearing a helmet is if you expect to need it (are a beginner or racer), but to be seen as a beginner is the last thing you want people to think who see you wearing it, so we have this endless defensiveness on the part of helmet wearers that there are jolly good reasons why EVERYONE should wear one at ALL times.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 8-12-09 16:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Bode Swiller, Does it include a stat as to how many of the deaths and injuries could have been avoided by not skiing off piste with an SCGB 'host'?
snow conditions
Bode Swiller wrote:
Picadilly wrote:
1. I do ski fast
Then your hypothetical collision will hypothetically kill you with or without a lid.

Depends how hypothetically fast I'm skiing!

crosbie wrote:
The problem is, the only good reason for wearing a helmet is if you expect to need it (are a beginner or racer), but to be seen as a beginner is the last thing you want people to think who see you wearing it, so we have this endless defensiveness on the part of helmet wearers that there are jolly good reasons why EVERYONE should wear one at ALL times.

Pfff doesn't matter what people think - it'll be obvious whether you're a beginner or not.

I've made the decision to start wearing one. Each to their own I think.
latest report
Picadilly, careful, you might end this thread prematurely. wink
snow report
If ski helmets help reduce accidents can I get lower ski insurance for wearing one?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing, If the research often touted on here is correct and statistically you are more likely to be a statistic wearing one, then one could argue that helmet wearers should pay more snowHead
snow report
Excuse me interrupting, but has anyone actually got something new to say about helmets? rolling eyes
ski holidays
ccl, hope springs eternal. snowHead
snow report
I find wearing a helmet helps when low flying table tennis balls are in evidence..

ski holidays
ccl, yes, in an effort to prove what I'm saying, I'm going to have the majority of my skull removed. A fragile lattice work of skull material will be left to hold the brain in place. I will then ski non-stop for the remainder of the winter on the most crowded, tree-lined, icy pistes that I can find. I may also enjoy afternoons in the fun park chucking mystie flip 720s. If the weather is bad I'll do some bare knuckle boxing or full contact karate or amateur horse riding. Extreme I know but someone has to settle this argument.
latest report
What have I started....I mentioned the word 'helmet' - crosbie kicks in with 'prematurely' and then tuxpoo has his hair all messed......... Embarassed
ski holidays
Helmet or no Helmet?

No debate for me as I'd probably be dead without one -certainly I'd have been in a world of pain.

Catching a knurly bit of ice a copuple of years back wrenched/tripped me forward so my head literally went from vertivcal to horizontal in a 90 degree arc in a nano-second. It certainly knocked the wind out of me as I stopped more or less instantly with the worst impact on my head-it would have been really, really bad without my helmet.

Another time I went to do the ski club slalom run at the end of the day. I didn't., as promised catch my mates up ten minutes later but fractured my shoulder - my A frames were cracked in the middle of one eye ON BOTH SIDES, and apart from me being badly concussed, my eye was really swollen and red like a bruised beetroot. The Giro helmet critically kept my eye 30mm or so further away from more harm. I could have lost my eye or worse. Even then I lost conciousness in/out for a while. Critically I have no recollection +15 or -15 mins either side of the accident and have absolutely no idea what happened and never will. Apparently that's not that uncommon with trauma.

Do I like sex, skiing, drinking beer, driving fast cars?...you bet (but not all at the same time though!)

Do helmets look good -not really and that for me is the only downside. Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Ben Dover,

Trouble is - we have been this way before... a lot... Toofy Grin and I mean a lot....

FWIW -to answer your question - I wear a lid and have done for several years. the only time it is uncomfortable is in above zero temps with bright sun when standing still. I always wear it now when skiing because I do not want "and daddy had left his helmet in the hotel room" said at my funeral Wink (even if it would not have made any difference...). And you are right - more and more people are wearing them.

To summarise where we are with the whole issue:
1) There is evidence that helmets reduce the severity of non-fatal head injuries.
2) There is not evidence of compensating "adaptive" behaviour leading to people skiing faster or more dangerously when they wear one.
3) There is not evidence of a reduction in deaths - which may be because head injury deaths are quite rare - and it is a difficult thing statistically to prove - or it may be that they just cannot cope with the kind of impact which leads to death.
4) There are some people who are entrenched in anti-helmet views on the basis of bizarre views about fashion, nanny state interference and delusions about their own ability, or what level of skier needs a lid.
5) There are some people who have entrenched pro-helmet views based on "I saw a mate whose life was saved...." when they know no such thing.
6) Until someone does a prospective study where people are randomised to wearing a helmet or not - and are blind to what the study is for - we are unlikely to know the answer - not least because there have been changes in ski technique and ski design which might also have contributed to a change in patterns of injury.
7) Some of the most bizarrely weird and stupid posts on snowHeads about helmets seem to have been in the last week.
8} Fat blokes in bobble hats look sadder than fat blokes with lids.

So - if you want one - get one - try it in the shop and check it fits.

Now - you'll be wanting to know if you can pack it in your hand luggage.... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

If wearing a helmet is enough to make people think I'm a beginner, I should stop sucking.

Quote:

There actually are collisions that don't kill people but do harm your head. I've been in one. Someone smashed on to me at a speed he clearly didn't control and in the tumble, a ski hit my head very hard. That was all the damage I had though, so yeah, with a helmet I could maybe have walked away without a scratch. Then again, there's no predicting what the ski would have done after it bounced on a helmet.

Anyway, this year is going to be my first one with a helmet, feel free to recommend me something better than a giro G10 btw Smile
snow report
Oh and the advice I was given when looking to buy a helmet for racing Karts was simple: Buy the best helmet you can afford as you only get one head!

Felipe Massa is alive only because the FI helmets have developed to such an extent the same accident in even a good race helmet would have certainly killed him.

Admin...can we have some smileys with helmets pleeze???
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, so, basically you're saying "Inconclusive either way", but otherwise until it becomes conclusive, everyone gets to chip in with their own cod-psychology with respect to whether helmet wearers take on an 'Ok to crash now it's non-fatal' mentality.

Pedestrians and 2CV drivers now find themselves on roads dominated by drivers of 4x4 SUVs in a hurry. The driver of the armoured personnel carrier has apparently improved their own safety at the considerable loss of everyone else's, but in feeling less vulnerable is likely to drive more recklessly and thus end up where they were before, but now in jeopardy of umpteen other SUV drivers, especially as a pedestrian.

It's also a bit like American football vs rugby. Does the padding and protective armour in the former improve all players' safety or counter-intuitively, increase the number and severity of collisions?

"Because everyone else is wearing one" may become one of the most valid reasons for wearing a helmet (and other body armour), simply to retain vulnerability-parity.

I think we need some smileys with helmets on so people can indicate which side of the holy schism they dress on. Cool
ski holidays
The new smith's look really good, nice fit, stylish and well vented. There again if a ski hits your head that could be well "vented" too! Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy