Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Practical jokes in the chairlift, hot tub, etc.

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone have tales of practical jokes played on/by them or others in the chairlift - or anywhere else in a ski context?

In Courchevel last season I was accompanying a woman and her son (same chalet as me), and upon getting a chairlift a well weathered french ski instructor and his client joined us in a 6 man chair. Instructor/Client/Woman/Son/Me/Empty.

So in the chair the instructor remarks in a heavy french accent and poor english what brand the woman's ski poles are, how it's a very good brand, etc. generally being flattering as to her skill and his aspiration to have such excellent poles. In fact he asks if he can examine one of her poles more closely. I'm thinking he's flirting and she shouldn't humour him. Anyway she hands him a pole. The instructor studiously compares it against his poles, and then in a strangely incompetent and cavalier fashion moves to return the pole, but flunks it. Oops. he's dropped it!

Damn! rolling eyes

So we all lean forward to look down to spy its landing. It's happened so fast. Anyway, I start counting the pylons, thinking he's dropped it deliberately. Sure enough he says not to worry, he'll ski back for it. I also volunteer. So the rest of the chair he spends profusely apologising and claiming to be a buffoon and idiot. We're all in agreement.

And then as we get off the chair expecting to hang around for 20mins. He then produces the 'fallen' ski pole.

NehNeh

Evidently when he was pretending to compare the ski pole, he had passed its wrist strap round one of his poles, which had been linked. So he really did drop the pole, and it slipped down his poles, and as he leant forward to look at it fall (misdirection) he also swung his poles back under the chair, thus throwing the fallen pole too - which swinging back up behind the chair was caught and retrieved by his client (accomplice). So the instructor was thus able to appear clearly in possesson of only two poles, with the dropped pole obviously lost.

So, beware ebullient ESF instructors complimenting you on your very expensive carbon fibre ski poles, etc.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 8-12-09 9:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think it was Robert Heinlein who wrote something like

Practical jokers should be rewarded appropriately, the bastinado is about right.

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah, my absolute fave involves the hot tub. Mixture of men & women. Men get together on the quiet and agree to wear two pairs of shorts. All get in and someone suggests removing shorts. Girls scream (as they do). Blokes all whip off the spare pair of shorts and chuck them away from the hot tub. E V E N T U A L L Y, thinking the boys are in the buff and after much persuasion, the ladies whip theirs off too. Boys get out and run off with their cossies. Works a treat.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bode,

Now that would be even funnier on the chairlift.

latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thirty06, hard to hide without all the bubbles though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
cant remember if i heard this one here or tgr but i thought it was a goodun...so this guy's got one of those baby holders strapped on with a doll in it and he's throwing backflips off a kicker under a lift at rush hour....people having heart attacks and giving him dog's abuse!....i might have to try that one this winter!......

okbye
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That was on here last week.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I once saw an instructor ski naked down Cairngorm, but it wasn't Swiller.

Good yarn, Swiller!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Abominable snowHead, it was a bloke called Charlie "Somethingorother" - there is a famous pic (rear view going off a jump on the White Lady)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
been posted before I suspect - and not exactly a deliberate thing to do in a hot tub

....sorry
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bode Swiller wrote:
The Abominable snowHead, it was a bloke called Charlie "Somethingorother"

Yes, Charlie Godiva. His great grandmother rode through Coventry in the nude on a horse
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SZK told one about a complete pain in a cable car with a huge rucksack. He attached the guy's rucksack to a rail with a caribena (?). Everyone gets out, this guy tries frantically to follow but ends up going round for the ride. Hilarious.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One of my "friends" loves the old classic of sitting down on the chair next to the one you're lined up with so as to shift the whole waiting line one seat sideways. Obviously, the one on the oither end misses the seat! Best if you know everyone in the line! Apologies to everyone waiting in the queue while they sort the mess out.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
while waiting for your chairlift get the biggest hardest lump of snow you can find, smash it on the head of the person sitting on the chair in front of you. Oh how I laughed. Works better if you know the person but are all gangsta'd up in disguise with bandanas and what not, then you can give them more aggro at the top.

Or while the person in front is waiting for the chair to come around drop the bar on it and watch them get pushed down the ramp.

Or the golden oldie, ride straight at a ski school group, wave your arms around like a madman and start screaming. See how they like it for a change.

Or one I discovered today, pull every ski binding up that you can find outside a bar, then watch the monkeys trying to get their boots in.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowpatrol,
In a similar vein, saw this trick at the tow park at JB Waterski. Mr JB was observed going round the cable tow on skis, with what appeared to be a small child in his spare hand.
turns out, it _was_ his child - he timed the exit from the last pole to perfection, passing child to mother at the jetty as his skis sank into the water...
snow report
Jonny luv plums, Laughing
ski holidays
Old skibum no friends on a powder day trick. When one of the first up a newly opened lift on a powder day hit the return stop on the chairlift with your ski pole whilst skiing off. For those that don't know that's the bar that stops the chairlift automatically if someone's failed to get off at the top.

Then proceed to ski the powder down past your mates still stuck on the chairlift while the lifty resets it. If you're good & quick in somewhere like Grand Montets where it tracks out exceptionally quickly this can be the difference between an extra lap of freshies or not.
ski holidays
Similar to Jonny luv plums', school trick, we had thought of riding slowly, 5 or 6 in a train and then when a school line catches you up, head for the very edge of the piste... stuffing the school into the netting.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy