Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Keep death off the pages (of a ski magazine)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This one (not long) is worth reading in full, because the devil is in the small amount of detail reported:

Media Decoder: "Link to Fatality Article Disappears at Ski Magazine"

There's an apparent contradiction between ...

Quote:
In a note to the staff, a digital editor [of Ski Magazine] said that the post was pulled after executives at Vail Resorts, which owns several resorts, threatened to pull advertising. She advised the staff that they might want to avoid stories about fatal skiing accidents in the future.

... and ...

Quote:
Mike Federle, group publisher of the Bonnier Mountain Group, said that the post was not pulled because of advertising pressure.

Decoding required!

The latter comes across to me (if he's being accurately quoted) as rather disingenuous. He seems to be trying to imply that the terrible death of a child skier from an unusual cause, isn't noteworthy/newsworthy. The skiing community (his readership) may not agree and might want to be reasonably well informed about incidents like this.

Ski Magazine seems to have changed hands.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Ski Magazine seems to have changed hands
A number of times. Around 4 times since it was Times Mirror.

Anyhow, clearly their advertiser applied pressure and got their way. In days gone by, the article would appear in print and couldn't be undone. The advertiser might have been miffed enough to cancel future ads but would have also recognised that "today's news, tomorrow's chip paper" holds true. Today, with electronic media, the advertiser can get shirty much more effectively.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Only in America eh? The Greenback still rules Mad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Abominable snowHead wrote:
He seems to be trying to imply that the terrible death of a child skier from an unusual cause, isn't noteworthy/newsworthy.

Well in a copy of the story I could find - http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20091120/NEWS/911209965/1077&ParentProfile=1058 it says
Aspen Times wrote:
Haley Rose Gans, a homeschool student, was reportedly “skiing very fast and into a tree,” according to a press release from Summit County Coroner Joanne Richardson

Girl Skis Fast
Girl hits Tree
Girl Dies

V. Sad but not exactly a death from an unusual cause for someone on a ski slope.

As to the censorship I guess Vail haven't heard of The Streisand Effect
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here's a wonderful example of advertiser relations from a UK ski magazine http://www.goodskiguide.com/gsg/index.php/the-news/370-safety

And the offending article (which, allegedly your honour, has caused some to cancel ads) seems to have been pulled from the magazine's website but did appear in a printed version so I'm told.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If every American "person skis into tree and dies" story was published there wouldn't be much room for all the gear reviews that enabled them to ski so fast and out of control in the first place. Seriously, if you ski in America, take note of the sheer number of little "shrines" on the trees. And, before anyone mentions it, most will have been wearing helmets. Trees always win.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've gained a new respect for Nordica withtheir rep's honest assessment of the merits of the (not very) Good Ski Guide

"GSG is pish" says Nordica

Don't agree on the baseline story - better kit must make it easier to attain higher speeds at lower ability levels.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is absolute boll@@ks. Magazines are not newspapers. If you want news: Buy a newspaper. If you want to hear about good stuff you like, buy a snow sports magazine. The two should not be confused. Magazines, by there very nature are 3 weks out of date. Newspapers are transient and never need to back-up their headlines.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller wrote:
Here's a wonderful example of advertiser relations from a UK ski magazine http://www.goodskiguide.com/gsg/index.php/the-news/370-safety

Very funny, Swiller. That magazine's been having a bad hair day since about 1984. When I was involved on another ski magazine I used to read it and try and get myself inside the head of the publisher.

I was subsequently admitted to a local mental hospital.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy