Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Desperate renter seeks advice.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

For the last few trips i have been looking to buy my own skis as at £130+ a week i figured that in the last 2 seasons (6 weeks hire) i could have bought a damn good pair of skis. However, like most people i read the reviews and try to hire them in the resort but all I get is 'well there not whet you asked for but they are basically the same'!!!!! So here i am about to start another season and i'm considering just buying a pair with the view that if i really don't like them i'll sell them at the end of the season and probably won't be any worse off than if i'd hired.

A quick bit about me, 40 year old bloke, 13 weeks skiing and basically intermediate (instructor in Whistler last year said i was level 5 canadian which i believe is out of 8?).

I am really looking to get more into bumps and generally spend less time on piste, based on reviews i'm looking at the Scott Punisher or Fischer Watea 84's. I know that in an ideal world i should try them but as i explained seem to have trouble in testing 1 pair let alone comparing 2?

Any thoughts? All views welcome,

Tony
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TEECEE, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
I have heard a lot of buzz for the last couple of seasons about the Scott Missions and the Dynastar Legends ... if that's any help
Blush I'm not really very techie but I'm sure it won't be long before someone who is drops in.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you're in Herts & can get over to Hemel then S+R have a pretty big demo fleet to try b4 you buy - best make it a weekday to avoid crowds now though I'd guess. For ideas - check out the skitest reviews threads.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
TEECEE, hello and welcome

I agree with you- you should test before you buy-

13 weeks could loads or hardly anything at all depending on the time scale.

At 40, 13 weeks skiing if you started in your early 20's would be minimal- but if you started 2 seasons ago masses!

Don't let anyone convince you into getting a super stiff ski at this point.

Where are you off to this season as it will make a difference as to what skis are about- that is if you dare buy in euros.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What I'd say is use the search function! They're tons of reviews out there (including mine from about 2 years ago when the punnishers first came out) and to get a balanced view you need to see what everyone's said...and you'll only get so much from a post.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My 13 weeks consists of 7 weeks between 1984 and 1990, then the remaining 6 in the last 2 seasons trying to catch up!!

I phoned Hemel today but they don't stock the Punishers, my view at the moment is that the Scotts and Fischers both have masses of good reviews (particularly the Punishers) that all those reviwers can't be wrong, most other skis seem to have a mixed bag of reviews. i also know a few people that have skied the Punishers and also give them a glowing report, I'm thinking of buying a pair of 2008/9 to save a few quid and as i said initially I can sell them at the end of the season if i really don't like them.

how can spending money be so tricky!!

I have 2 trips booked so far, unfortunately (cost wise) they are both to Val D'Isere, once in Jan and the other in April (Daily Mail trip) so not a resort to grab a bargain then!!

Tony
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Punishers are a fine all round ski IME (very limited - few runs indoors ) and if they're a reduced price you probably won't lose too much even if you hate them and punt them on.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I personally really like the Punishers - I think they are probably the closest thing to a genuine all mountain ski out there?

I know a few people who don't like them though - particularly the bigger people - as they're quite soft, and can flap around a bit when you really charge them.

Beware, the 08/09's are HIDEOUSLY ugly, perhaps the most ugly ski I've ever seen. Normally I wouldn't care too much about graphics, but seriously, they're ugly. The news look pretty sweet, but if you want to save money, see if you can find the 07/08 ones instead.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
TEECEE, don't overthink it. It won't be your last pair of skis. Go for a good deal online from someone like Conrad and save a heap of dosh. You are at a stage where you can learn from your skis and adapt to them a bit. Buy them cheap and sell em on. Snowtrax have the 172 punishers at £240, btw (guess that depends on your height and weight).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
TEECEE, alternatively, if you're not too fussed about going backwards, look at the scott missions, basically the same ski but without the twin-tip
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
TEECEE, how much instruction in the last 6 weeks skiing? Most British blokes in their late 30s-40s don't get instruction....but I'd suggest taht this would make ar more difference to your skiing than your own skis- and be better value for money.

How tall/ heavy / fit/ sporty are you generally?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BiG_tYrOnE wrote:
TEECEE, alternatively, if you're not too fussed about going backwards, look at the scott missions, basically the same ski but without the twin-tip
This is a good point well made. Let's have it again in bold.

look at the scott missions, basically the same ski but without the twin-tip
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
in the last 6 weeks skiing i have done the Warren Smith week in Verbier where despite being in the 3rd group down (out of 9 groups) i struggled a bit although this was only my second week back after 17 years off so in hindsight i'd have been better to have regained some experience before doing such a course, i also did 2 days lessons in Whistler last year (two students to one instructor) and i did a 2 hour bumps course in Val D'Isere this April, i definitely intend to keep having lessons whenever i can. I'd considered the warren Smith DVD's but i'm not sure how much you can improve just watching a DVD - the video session in Verbier was superb, there is nothing quite like seeing yourself ski to highlight what you are doing wrong.

I'm 5' 10" and 11 1/2 stone, i joined a gym in March as i felt my fitness wasn't great and i go 4 - 5 times a week including spinning - Pilates and a general fitness program which has resulted in losing about a stone since March so i hope to see some results when i get back on the slopes.

I'd considered the Missions but they seem to be more expensive and i've read many reviews that say they are a lot stiffer than the Punishers?? also the advertising blurb says thet are aimed at the 'Expert' skier which i know doesn't include me!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't know about instructing DVDs, but I've learnt a lot from watching top level ski and kayak films, watching how the pros deal with different types of slopes/drops/rapids/falls/whatever - definitely improved both my skiing and kayaking, whilst inspiring me to go bigger.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Teecee - we must have passed in Verbier.

Have you tried the Salomon Lords? I really liked them, not as stiff as the missions I reckon. I also tried the Movement Jams, which I loved, maybe more pistey than the Lords or Missions perhaps.
snow report
TEECEE, I think you are going about it exactly right in terms of fitness, frequency of skiing and instruction- you should have no problems- I haven't tried th eLords but if they are anything like 1080s, foils, th eold x-screams or any other salomon ski then I'd guess they would be very good for someone like you- keen but not huge amounts of skiing (yet)
ski holidays
I tried the Lords in Val this year but in April the lower slopes were so slushy you couldn't really get much of a feel for them. I'd have been better to have just rented them for a day or two to put some miles on them.

I guess i might try the DVD's as well, as although i didn't ski particularly well in Verbier i do feel that a lot of what i was taught stuck in my mind and i try to actually think about my skiing whilst on the slopes.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy