Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fat skis and rubbish lifts

Poster: A snowHead
I was thinking recently, my nice newish skis are quite wide (nordica enforcers). Not super wide but definitely wider than my old 1080s. I've had problems with fitting the old skis in slots on gondolas in a few places. They've always gone in but have needed a bit of force on the odd occasion. My new skis just wouldn't have fitted as they're wider and have a bigger twin tip. Apart from just avoiding gondolas is there anything that can be done? Anyone know of way of getting skis to sit securely in the board slots or will lifties let you take them inside sticking out of the door slightly. I've never seen anyone having the problem but i'm sure it must have happened somewhere.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I couldn't get my skis in the slots on the old Rendlbahn in St Anton last season, so I had to take them in with me. You shouldn't need to have them sticking out the door, and I doubt the lifties would let you! Never had a problem with any other gondola, and I guess the new Rendlbahn will be able to accommodate bigger skis too. Sometimes there seems to be more room for them if you put them in seperate slots, with the bindings towards the gondola, and bases facing out.

So yeah, if they don't fit in the slots, just take them inside with you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
twin tip isn't a problem usually - just slide one tip in first then the other. Wide on the other hand... Twisted Evil
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fair enough, the only reason i mentioned the sticking out thing was that i've seen people slide boards in behind where their feet are and the end was pocking out of the door slightly. The lifties were doing it at busy times when more than 4 boarders wanted to get on. But yeah skis are obviously going to cause more of an issue if they were allowed to stick out. Just wasn't sure if you'd be able to get a long set of skis completely inside.

As for the twin, i'm not totally sure. It's always been fine with the 1080s slotting them in one at a time but the enforcers have a weird tip. It's quite tall and goes up really steep. not sure if its going to make much difference though.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 7-12-09 20:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On most modern gondolas they are designed so that you take your skis in with you. On the old style gondalas some resorts are refitting wider slots.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have the same problem in Mayrhofen, dont think Austria in general is too friendly to 190cm, 128mm wide rockered planks! I just take 'em in, no one cares or gives any problem, the only worry is when it starts to get busy...it gets crowded in there!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ohh...and I have about the top 3rd poking out the lift door wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Twins can be a problem - mine are Big Troubles (which seem to have a more raised tip than normal in fairness) and didn't fit in the slots (On old Rbahn). At 176cm they fitted fine inside the old Rendlbahn, and I can't imagine gondolas getting much smaller/older than that. Admitedly I haven't skied in France though wink

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 7-12-09 21:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
just put one ski per holder....they should fit! main problem will be when very busy as it takes up 2 peoples spaces!!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
el nombre, I have the older twin tipped Enforcers. Lovely skis ain't they Cool I just stick one ski in each slot, haven't found one too narrow yet.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I once had to stick my 6'7" powder board out of the bubble's door gap because the board holder was too narrow (designed for alpine boards). The lifties recommended this approach when they saw me fail to put my board in the slot. Can't remember doing this in recent years though. I think they've all got wide board slots. However, this approach might be appropriate for wide skis.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I had an unpleasant experience in Meribel last year. I tended to put my Icelantic Pilgrims in two ski slots on the gondolas and as it wasn't busy it generally worked well. Until an over zealous liftie decided to take my skis out of their slots, whilst I was in the lift and jam them both into one slot, even though there was only two of us on the lift. Evil or Very Mad I thanked him for his efforts and only just managed to get them out of the slot at the top. rolling eyes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
el nombre, I've seen lifties tell people to take their skis in and have them sticking out the doors.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
what do you think the snowboard rack is for jongs wink
twin tips will usually fit if you un-clip the brakes first and offset them a little at an angle.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have fat Icelantics and put them in 2 slots instead of 1 ..............then watch them like a hawk
ski holidays
clarky999, I couldn't even get my pair of K2 Apache Crossfires into a single slot on the Rendlbahn last year.
snow conditions
Mostly i put them in individual ski slots. If they won't fit in these then i put them in the snowboard slot side by side instead. So far i haven't had a problem with them on any lifts. However i've only had the current particularly fat skis for the last 2 seasons so only used them in Les Arcs/Les Plagnes & Tignes/Val D'isere. Previous fat skis i've had, i've only skied in cham & never had a prob with any of the lifts there.
snow conditions
redrunmarcus wrote:
I have fat Icelantics and put them in 2 slots instead of 1 ..............then watch them like a hawk

How do you deal with the situation I had last year, when the liftie jammed them into one slot after the doors had closed. Shocked Ok, they weren't going to fall out but they were difficult to extract and they did suffer top sheet damage due to the lifties efforts. Sad
snow report
You're only really in trouble when your snowboard doesn't fit in the snowboard slot e.g. lift from Venosc back to L2A.
snow report
i have a pair of k2 fugitives, in soll last year it was one ski per slot, which when its going over the lift pylon bumps can be quite scary, i had my brother memorize the point they fell (in case they did) so he cloud ski down and get them, bu sure enough they were fine.
snow report
The one slot thing isn't an issue, a single will flap around a bit but they're never going to come out. It's just that i can see a distinct possibilty that the enforcers will at some point just no go in a ski slot at all. Snowboards slots however... well they'd go in easily enough but would they come out a bit too easily as well? I have tried them with my old skis but the just leant over sideways really far and i'm not sure that they'd have stayed up if for example they went over a particuarly bumpy pylon. The lifty guy did the honours and just rammed them in a ski slot.
snow conditions
I have never seen a ski fall out of a bubble slot. Isn't it a matter of physics and gravity? IMO as long as you put them in far enough they aren't coming out even from a wider board slot.
ski holidays
redrunmarcus wrote:

frank4short wrote:
Previous fat skis i've had, i've only skied in cham & never had a prob with any of the lifts there.

The liftie at the bottom of the Balme area bubble out of Le Tour split my Shamans into two ski slots, when we got to the top i couldn't get one out with the lift running, they had to stop the lift and then the liftie at the top still couldn't get it out using no little force. Once he started trying to have a go at me for jamming it in I 'politely' pointed out it was his collegue at the bottom who had taken the skis out of my hands and done it, this shut him up long enough for me to take over trying to remove the offending ski, with a lot less force and a bit of jiggling now the lift was standing idle i was able to pop it out. I've used that bubble many times with those skis and not had an issue before or since, though i do favour the board slot if possible.
ski holidays
Twins go securly into the board slot:
Look down into the slot and you will see a bar running accross the bottom.
Slide your ski in with the bindings towards the cabin and hook the tip under the bar and then let the ski lean back away from the cabin.
Totally secure.
ski holidays
midgetbiker, had problems with the same lift (perhaps the same liftie) who did similar with my LPs (hardly the fattest of fats). Fortunately I managed to prize them out at the top without having to stop the gondola but it was quite a close-run thing.
snow report
I hate it when the liftie jams them in. I am a weak and feeble woman and can never get the blooming things out again. If I'm not with my OH, though, usually some nice bloke comes to my aid Blush .
ski holidays
Thankfully my skis are too large to jam in together.

I have to say i find it amusing people complaining about scratching their top sheets on lifts. Skis are meant for skiing topsheets get scratched from pretty much everything you do. They're remarkably resilliant even on lesser quality skis & scratches are just that they won't affect your skis performance. If anything dinged up skis make you look more hardcore.
ski holidays
frank4short wrote:
Thankfully my skis are too large to jam in together.

I have to say i find it amusing people complaining about scratching their top sheets on lifts. Skis are meant for skiing topsheets get scratched from pretty much everything you do. They're remarkably resilliant even on lesser quality skis & scratches are just that they won't affect your skis performance. If anything dinged up skis make you look more hardcore.

Icelantics are v.prone to top sheet scratching, and i couldn't give a flying .........
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Had the same problem with my Icelantics in Solden last week, they wouldn't go in the ski slots so I put them in the board slot & they almost fell out of the slot on the way down.
Took them in the gondolas with me from then on, got asked lots of questions about them as no one seemed to have seen Icelantic skis before but I got no hassle from the lifties.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy