Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thule Ski/Snowboard Carrier

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all ive been looking into getting a ski and snowboard holder that sits on top of your existing thule roof rack and then clamps down onto the skis, I would like some advice,

firstly i have a standard thule roof rack i've been looking into these as roof boxes are expensive and have nowhere in my flat to store it,

i think also i have enough room in the boot for the ski gear so just need to place 2x snowboards and 1 x skis,

i think i;d have to go with the 60cm width ones.

my questions are:

do i need the taller one with extra binding space? or is this just a bit of a gimmick to add some price on, i would have though id have enough clearance once this is attached to my roof bars,

do the snowboards go on touching base to base like the skis and can you leave the bindings on or is it advisable to remove,

then generally are they any good or do ppl still recommend a roof box? and are they detrimental to mpg? cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
we have one of these: http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4.php?query=TU739&emulate=accgen They are excellent. I put snowboards right way up - so binding clearance is irrelevant for me. I haven't tried "base to base". The bottom of the carrier is about 55mm above the top of the Thule bar - so you could work out whether that was enough clearance, to carry them that way. I only carry them round the resort and for local trips and leave bindings on. But for a long journey I'd take them off, probably, to protect them. Depending on the size of the snowboard and your stance width you might find that they would foul the bars themselves - but you could test that by just putting an upside down snowboard on your roof bars. I guess it would be OK unless you were 7' tall.

Yes, definitely leave the extender bars on the roof bars - you'd have to get the roof bars off the car to take them off, and they're perfectly secure.

We bought ours because our car won't go in the garage with a roof box on - and it would be too high to use a box, too. I think they're easier to use than the roofbox, actually.

Strongly recommend the Roof Box Co. We have just managed to lose the little bag with the bits that attach the ski carrier to the roof bars and they are getting hold of them for me quickly - having emailed an expanded parts drawing so I could identify exactly what I wanted. Their service is exemplary. If in doubt, give them a ring for you advice on your particular set up.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cheers pam thats informative, it was just a pure if skis are fitted in there base to base,then surely snow boards can as if anything they will be alot thinner in the clamp??
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
aw-hicks, yes, no problem with snowboards base to base if they didn't have bindings on (or if the bottom one didn't, at any rate). with bindings, I guess you'd have to measure the clearance.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy