Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

K2: Recon or Crossfire???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone skiied both the Recon & Crrossfire? I have the opportunity to purchase K2's wholesale and have narrowed it down to these two. I've always wanted to get into a pair of mid-fats (Recons), but the Crossfires seem like they may be a bit more versitile. I'm a high advanced skiier who spends 33%/33%/33% of my time off-piste/groomers/ bumps,crud,other respectively. Obviously the Recons will float better (78mm vs. 69 mm waist) but is there a major drop off from the Recons to the Crossfires is poweder? In terms of versatility, is there a dropoff from the Crossfires to the Recon?
[/b]
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ok havent tested crossfires but skiied k2s for 3 days last week in variety of conditions ice powder etc. all great. these skis rock. seriously you should buy them. but beware they are very heavy.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
terribletowel, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

How many skis are you thinking of owning? Whilst I've skied neither, if I were going to look for a 1 ski does all (that sounds familiar!) I'd plumb for the Recon. But if you are thinking of owning both a piste ski and a powder ski then go for the Crossfire, or an even narrower ski.

Recent experiance leads me to believe that the on piste performance of mid-fats is pretty good, probably better than you'd think if you haven't tried one already.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tried the recons in St Anton, wasn't that impressed. Bought some B2s.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hmm see depends on personal preference i tested the B2 s as well and did not think they were as good as the K2. felt the edge grip was better on the K2 as well as edge hold and the general rebound out of turns felt sharper. anyway best thing to do is test them, im never buyin a pair of skis again without trying them.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I had a couple of runs on the recon, and a couple on the omni 5.5 which isfurther down the range

more details here
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not tried Crossfires but have used B2's and recently bought Recons
As an all rounder the Recons a great ski. 78mm implies it should be a bit of a barge on piste but its nothing of the kind. If you've got off piste aspirations don't worry about going mid fat and using them for everything.
The only thing I've not hit yet with them is moguls but don't expect problems even at 181 long.
The only issue I've got is the colour, why make a ski targeted at off piste use white, great camouflage.

Quality piece of hardware.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
these skis seem to get mixed reviews from alot of people.

i have spent quite a bit of time on the Recon's and i think they are a fantastic ski. Its a great all-mountain ski for a place like Whistler for example. I skied the bowls, trees, pistes and even hit a few kickers in the park with these things. What surprised me was how well they carved on piste with that 78mm waist. They have quite a "damp" feeling (seems like with most K2's) which in turn gave me no chatter when ploughing thru the crud (unlike the metron b5's) and kept the skis tracking thru the turn. I skied them quite short @ 167cm (probably should have skied the 174's) and i would agree with rich and say that i wouldn't have any problem with these in the bumps.

highly recommended.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I spent a week on my Recons on hard compact pistes in Italy in January - and they've got one hell of an edge grip and are quick edge-to-edge for a 'wide' ski.

Then spent two weeks in Canada in the soft and steep (and just a few bumps!) and they performed very well there too.

But sorry, haven't tried the Crossfires - but they are a little narrowed but more shaped that the Recon (109/68/99 v. 115/78/105) so I'd expect them to be better on piste, but not so good off-piste.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy