Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Would you still ski/board if there were no lifts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
queen bodecia, that's fine. More for the rest of us who like the off-piste snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
queen bodecia, Talking of injuries - you are far more likely to get your self injured on crowded slopes than on many of the off piste runs - food for thought rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jamesSKI, 10 years later it was the final destination of my first Heli-ski experrience. Up-lift to the 4200m Col du Lys, ski 20km of the glacier in to Zermat then lifts into cervinia and finally off piste into Champoluc! (still needed the lifts)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowbandit, no crowded slopes for me. I avoid these by going to Italy or Austria during non-peak weeks.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Like queen bodecia, it doesn't appeal to me but I guess if all the lifts in the world were banned, and I'm now addicted to skiing, I guess I'd bite the bullet, buy some touring gear and give it a go.

But like that's going to happen! rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
maggi, Exactly my thoughts. Although I can see when I want to keep my motivation to keep fit later in life, I may take up ski touring.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rasons I can think of to tour, especially when there're plenty of lifts running:

*) Peace and quiet (and SOMETIMES better snow)

*) Too cheap to buy lift pass Wink

*) Some people just plain love suffering! Very Happy (no, I'm not even joking)

others?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dave Horsley wrote:
I'm with beanie1, I probably do more days skiing without (or mostly without*) lifts than I do lift served. Mix of touring on my normal tele kit and xc in the forest.

* I have been known to start a tour with a trip on the train (though I always use at least one other lift before leaving the ski area so I don't break the VMP NehNeh )

[Pedantic Mode on] Using another lift after the Funicular is only strictly necessary to comply with the VMP if you are skiing into the EU protected sites (Northern Corries West of Coire Cas and the Plateau beyond the Summit), but not for East such as Laogh Mor and beyond, or indeed the Marquis Well which is nominally part of the Ski Area.

The VMP only requires non-skiing passengers to remain within the Ski Patrol Area, there is no such restriction on snowsports customers.[/Pedantic Mode off]
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
4 days of hiking in 10 days of skiing this season, hiking provides the exercise and the wonderful fresh snow. I've had fresh powder many days after the last snowfall, while others sit at the ski hill and complain about the lack of Powder. I'd be out this week if it wasn't brutally cold at the moment with no fresh snow.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 10-12-09 16:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ABC

- Usually better snow
- Experiencing what the mountains are supposed to be like, instead of effectively taming/civilising them
- Usually better/more exciting runs
- Exploration
- Getting away from everyone else
- Self reliance, a chance to get away formt his crappy Nanny state culture
- Cool facebook pictures wink

Would you rather walk in the Welsh hills, or through Birmingham city centre? Drive down the M1 or go greenlaning/rally driving/etc? Climb an indoor wall or deepwater soloing in the Costa Brava? Hell, dryslope/snowdome or a mountain?

It's effectively that same sort of difference...

I mean no, touring/offpiste is crap, you should never ever bother doing it, leave those mountains alone! Cool
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is nothing better than getting away from the resort and finally feeling you are really in the mountains. It often doesn't have to be far, just enough so everywhere you look you see snow and mountains. People say they come to the mountains for the feeling of freedom and nature etc. and spend their entire time in an artificial environment of lift and resort infrastructure, crowds, purpose made groomed trails, and a totally homogenised environment just like everywhere else.

The awesome thing about real off-piste skiing is that there isn't often anything or anyone telling you that you can't do something or can't go somewhere unlike almost every other area of life. You are on your own to make you own decisions and experience the consequences of them.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nothing better than hiking / skinning etc etc - I do both snowboarding & ski touring using various equipment - from day tours through to week hut to hut tours - long hikes avec snowboards with snow shoes arduous if with skiers - snow boards I use mini approach skis and Dynaftit hard boot setup - skiing Garmont & Dynafit bindings - one of the memorable trips this year was a day tour with the father & son team that invented Dynafit - they tore my legs offs and the father is in his late 60's or maybe even 70's..............

Have done Lygnen Sail n'Ski five times this has to be one of the best experiences going http://www.planetfear.co.uk/articles/Sail__Ski_in_Arctic_Norway_882.html as for next season - will be skinning most days early morning for training as I'm in the mountains for five weeks then come back and have the Brighton Marathon so quick speed hike of 1000ms will be just under three hours.

Think its an age thing, don't see too many sub 40yr olds touring that often though we have introduced quite a few and they love it!

Don't get much better than this...........

And on skis

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 10-12-09 0:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hey! I'm only a sprightly 20! Admitedly I'm only just getting into it though, and frankly it's only to get to better lines down...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Although the Norway thing looks awesome!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy