Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Backpacks

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to buy a ski backpack but there are so many out the i thought id get the opinion of you guys first. i wont one that i can keep water in and is able to carry skis.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chelt881, The Dakine Helipro ones are good. http://www.facewest.co.uk/Dakine-Heli-Pro.html

Click on the FaceWest link from the Snowheads home page to help support this site. snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Seconding the Dakine Helipro/DLX/Pro2. Only downside are the ridiculously long straps. (for which I still have to find a clean way to get out of my way, I'm afraid of cutting them off, who knows I might suddenly get 4 times bigger and need them!)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Black Diamond Switchback 20l does the business for me. Very comfortable, well made and well thought out.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chelt881, what are you looking for ? Something for ski touring that you can strap skis and poles and pack damp skins away while you hike or something for in resort to carry food and drink etc ?

If the latter, any mountain biking or running pack would do well because they all have chest and midriff straps to keep secure and adjust the height and weight distribution. For day ski tours though, I'm well pleased with my Osprey Switch 26 which keeps skis well away from my head, has a 'damps or dries' compartment and is big enough to pack my crash hat in too.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How much do you want to carry?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
about 20l
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Black Diamond Covert 22 - a year of alomost every day use (from ski season to lugging uni books around) and no signs of wear and tear at all, complete with Avalung, caompatible with hydration pouch, can carry skis/board/ice axe/poles/etc. Seperate small front pocket for easy access to shovel/probe/saw etc. Awesome.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another fan of the Helipro here
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Personally i find the Helipro a little too big for what i need/gets in the way when on lifts. Whereas i'm a big fan of the helipack which is large enough to carry everything i need & can carry a surprisingly large amount if packaged correctly. It's also slim enough that i can keep it on when on charilifts. Which minimizes faff after getting off of the lift.

I should also add that i'm a massive fan of the Da Kine diagonal ski carry straps. In my opinion it's the only way to carry skis on a backpack.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm selling my old pack if your interested?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1391847#1391847
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
you could try mammut nirvana or haglofs powder poetry...................

okbye
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I need a new pack now as well and trying to decide between these two...hmmm..

http://www.facewest.co.uk/Mammut-Nirvana-25-Ski-Pack.html

http://www.facewest.co.uk/Ortovox-Freerider.html

Anyone got any feedback on either?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm another fan of the Dakine packs...think you can't go wrong with these!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
LOVE the ortovox freerider! The finish and quality really shine through, as well as having a back protector its really well layed out inside and more spacious inside than I gave it credit for when I ordered...pricey though...but worth it IMO!
ski holidays
http://reverse.wedze.com/accueil.php5?lg=EN#/intro/

Something different.
snow conditions
I have a couple of BCA packs (stash and bc), love em.
I would also highly recommend facewest as a supplier.
latest report
Alex A, i have the nirvana 35...it is a quality sack as you would expect from a top end manufacturer....but there are plenty good packs out there that will do the job...you cant really go wrong.....it just depends on which one floats your boat more (and your budget of course).......

okbye
ski holidays
Alex A, I've got the Freerider too, it's a great pack and as Doc says it's bigger than you think. If you can, try it on before you buy as the back lengths vary.
ski holidays
Another +1 for the Osprey Switch 26.. although that's more for riding to work now I have a Black Diamond Outlaw, which is also highly recommended.
ski holidays
Any one have a Haglofs Snow Passion, size looks about right for me (14L)
snow report
DAVE 2227 wrote:
http://reverse.wedze.com/accueil.php5?lg=EN#/intro/

Something different.

I just bought one of these (the black grey orange one) and while it's a little gimmicky, it seems well made. Only one issue with this is that it doesn't come with a water reservoir like my previous bag (a little blue quechua, also from decathlon). I'm just going to transport the bladder into this one and have the tube pop out of the double zip on the main compartment, should work ok.

I'll let people know if the 'reverse' gimmick does come in handy when getting on a lift or not in a couple of weeks after my Meribel and Andorra trips.

snowHead

Grim.
snow report
I have the DaKine Pro 2 and love it - their packs are always so well thought out. The only thing that annoys me is that it only has a diagonal ski carry, this is fine for shorter hikes and is quick to set up but a pain for anything longer where A frame carry would be much better balanced. I'm trying to mod mine using the snowboard carry.

Don't go too small! Much of the time you have avy gear, some lunch/water and maybe an extra item of clothing the smaller packs won't deal with it easily.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 8-12-09 20:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
grimmy, make sure your tube is isolated if you're going to do that.
latest report
Coincidentally just on my way to pick up a Dakine Heli Pro DLX, not sure yet if i'll be going 16l or 20l but will have a look in the store what feels right.
snow report
I couldnt get on with the fit of the girls Dakine Helipro and found the material too stiff, it was a nightmare to get in and out of the zips. I now have the Osprey Switch 16 in a small back size and its perfect.
ski holidays
I use the small 20/22L Dakine Heli Pro with a 2L bladder - I tend to fit a few bits and pieces, spare gloves, goggles etc in and still manage to grab the lift safely without removal. Used it for 2 seasons heavily and very little sign of wear. This one won't dissapoint.

Have also picked up a Black Diamond Covert Backpack with Avalung from Backcountry.com heres the link and it's a great bit of kit if you are going off-piste http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/BLD0947/Black-Diamond-Covert-with-Avalung-Winter-Pack-1343-1953-cu-in.html?avad=397_c46db73

I picked mine up for around USD 90.00 6 weeks ago when the price was even lower, but their prices are hot and they really do their best to ship at rates that don't make your eyes bleed unlike many shippers from the US. Snowbigdeal will also cobble together avalanche bundle pack if you pick a tranceiver first -they also ship at good rates.
snow report
So, all the dakine people here: what did you do with your extremely long straps?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They detach both ends!
latest report
Mosha Marc, cheers for info on Freerider.. I cant seem to find a shop that has one to try on in the UK which is a pain. Sure i'll be the long back at 6ft 2 however.

Main question is - how low profile is the pack? Can you ride a lift without taking off?

Cheers... Alex
snow report
Alex A, yes you can, but it isn't that low profile to be honest.
snow report
Bought the Dakine Heli Pro DLX 20l this afternoon, colour: bright green. Vorda, don't know what to do with the straps yet, they're not too ridiculously long for me, but then again I'm Dutch and apparantly we're officially the tallest race in the world. Will have a look at it this week, if I think of anything brilliant will post.
ski holidays
I'm Belgian Wink I have a pro2, could be my straps are just longer. I'm 1m88, and the shoulderband straps are long enough to reach my middle when the backpack is at normal height.
I'll just get them taken care by some sewing shop.
snow report
narc wrote:
I have the DaKine Pro 2 ....... The only thing that annoys me is that it only has a diagonal ski carry, this is fine for shorter hikes and is quick to set up but a pain for anything longer where A frame carry would be much better balanced.

Which is what got it taken off my shortlist.
ski holidays
I just let the straps dangle and then do my waist strap up over them. It holds them out of the way nicely

Easy to cut them and just melt the end a little over a match if they are too long

Mines the old 20itre Helipro, just about to start its 4th Season, still as good as new, oh, and with shovel, probes, Bivvy bag, spare fleece and other odd bits and bobs I've never had a problem on the lifts, always just lean back on it (and mind your head as you are further forward than normal and the bar will catch you)
snow report
Vorda wrote:
So, all the dakine people here: what did you do with your extremely long straps?

Put on weight. Sorted.
ski holidays
Arc'teryx Silo 30 (27ltr in the regular length). Best day pack on the market. Nuff said!
http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?Mens/Packs/Silo-30
ski holidays
spyderjon, and it's only twice the price of the average one. Arc'teryx make great stuff but it's not cheap. Personally i'd also say that a 27l sack for day to day use is too large. I know people that climb multi day alpine routes with sacks under 35l so i reckon you should be able to manage with a pack under 20l for anything you're going to need on one day tours & not much more than that even for multi day tours.

People mostly carry too much crap & need to learn to leave stuff behind. I frequently manage to fit all my avi gear, lunch, water, lightweight spare fleece, spare goggles, spare gloves, a crevasse rescue rope & gear in my Da Kine Helipack which is only something like 12l capacity. If i need crampons or an axe i can strap em to the outside.
snow report
Cunners, I'm trying to do the opposite Confused
snow report
frank4short, I find the benefit of a slightly larger pack is that you can spread contents around & then use the compression straps to squidge the pack as flat as possible (the compression straps on the Arc' pack are excellent) which is a real benefit especially when carrying skis. And then on the odd occasion that you need the extra capacity (like when using it for hand baggage on the flights) it's there when you need it.

Arc' stuff is pricey but is excellent & the features of this pack answer all the little niggles which seem to be present on lower cost stuff. Luckily I bought mine when the $ rate was high & I brought it into the country with a wax shipment so didn't have to pay any charges.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy