Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Querying the ski length affect - Salomon Mai Tai v Rossi B80

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Snowheads,

I am torn between the Salomon Mai Tai's and the Rossignol B80 freebeam.

Have demo'd both at the local snow dome – Mai Tai's 151cm (a little too short) and B80 165 cm (a little too long).

Which ever ski I choose will be a 161/160cm length respectively, which is my ideal ski length – but those ski lengths were not available to demo.

The Mai Tai's (151 cm) made me feel invincible, uber confident and that I could attempt anything on them. The B80s (165cm) felt solid and I felt confident on them, would give anything a go, but I did not feel quite so gung ho.

My question is – how much would the length of ski I demo'd have affected what I thought of them?

Would I still feel invincible on a 161 cm pair of Mai Tai's and confident but not gung ho on a pair of 160cm B80's?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't foget the mai tai is a twin tip so will ski much shorter than it is as there is less effective edge length...you skiing a 151 is like skiing a 145 (if that?) regular ski! How tall are you and what is your weight and ski ability? Your mentioning 2 very diffrent skis here one a freestyle ski and the other an all mountain!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was after an all mountain, but wanted to try a twin tip ski as well because I want to learn switch and spend a bit of time in the park. Demo'd a few skis and these were the two I preferred.

Am an intermediate skier, level 6 on the Snow and Rock chart, 166cm, 72kg.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My other (and better half) has just got a set of the Mai Tai's and loves them.

For the park you probably want a shorter ski anyway, unless you want the stability of the longer ski for blasting down the piste?

If you want it for park maybe you also want to consider a central or slightly forward binding mount? again this makes it more park specific and potentially less of an all rounder (esp fully forward)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for your reply Kevin

Does your Better Half just use them for the Park or all over the mountain? What are they like on the piste ?

If I did get the Mai Tai's I would be using them on the mountain as well hence thinking about going for the longer length.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Get 'em longer and they'll feel more stable at speed and landing jumps, but won't be so good for quick short radius turns and/or bumps (although at that length I doubt you'd have a problem anyway!). Longer will also be better for powder.

Shorter lengths will make short turns a helluva lot easier and the ski will feel more agile, but it'll be less stable and not as good for pow.

Typically a twintip will ski 4/5cm shorter than the actual length, as the uplifted tail reduces the effective edge length - the bit in contact with the snow. Hence with a twintip you can get away with a longer ski.

Forget about centre mounting unless all you are doing is spinning to win in the park, it'll ruin everything else.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 7-12-09 1:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi she has only put a few hours on them so far and that was at CF and Castleford. She loved them on the slope and had the binding mounted between the traditional and centre (if that makes sense?)so that they would not be a fully 'parked up' set.

I think that clarky999, is right if you want them as an 'all in one' then longer is probably best better.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The S&R scale, for convenience:

LEVEL 1

You've skied at least a week, you've learned to turn, stop and ride the lifts.

LEVEL 2

You have at least 3 weeks under your belt. You can ski a slight wedge to basic parallel turns on green and blue runs. You still seek instruction, but aren't scared to venture off on your own. You are mastering the 'hockey stop'.

LEVEL 3

You are reaching the 'intermediate plateau', you happily ski all blue and some red runs, but narrow pistes, especially icey ones, cause some difficulty. You have almost mastered speed control and stopping distances. Tough red runs are skied with caution, with style and control at a premium.

LEVEL 4

You've broken through the 'Plateau' and are now experiencing new feelings and sensations. You have the confidence to make smooth linked turns on most red runs. You have begun to appreciate the speed and excitement of skiing - it's a blast. Bumps are still a mystery.

LEVEL 5

You are not intimidated by red runs and can link parallel turns confortably. You are perfecting your short radius turns on steeper terrain. On black runs you start your turns with a stern, and you are conscious not to rotate your upper body. You are happy making short turns down narrow 'Piste Basher' tracks. Slopeside powder presents no fears. You may be considering a freeride ski.

LEVEL 6

You can ski black runs in good conditions. You have mastered short turns and easy bumps, fresh lightweight powder is tackled without a second thought. You get fustrated when you can't find rhythm or control on steeper terrain or icier bumps. The techniques for crud and deep snow are still a mystery, but you are not going to let them beat you. You are aware when your ski's need tuning.

LEVEL 7

80% of skiable terrain is well within your grasp but steep terrain, big bumps and and difficult snow still challenge your skills. You consider professional instruction may be necessary to make further advances. You may own an avalanche transceiver and you look forward to skiing 'off piste' with a guide. High speeds still induce fear.

LEVEL 8

You can handle most bumps, difficult snow like crud and windpack sometimes gets the better of you. You know how to make carved turns, long or short, and ski 'short swing' turns like your instructor. You choose freeride, expert or race skis and demand stability at speed. You may have thought about taking your first steps in training to become a ski instructor. You'd like to polish your technique in the gates, bumps, ice, haevy powder or crud.

LEVEL 9 You are an expert skier, comfortable skiing all conditions. You can ski a variety of lines through difficult bumps via the 'zip-line'; over the tops and through the troughs. You know that without an intensive training programme you will not ski at your best. You could be a level 10 but your fitness or your work restricts you.

LEVEL 10

You are a sponsored skier or hold either an FIS or ISIA license
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all your replies. I reckon I might go for the Mai Tai 161s....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sanityclawz, I think you're buying a level 5 ski.

I don't think those skis are going to help you with the things that define level 6 limits, e.g.
"You get fustrated when you can't find rhythm or control on steeper terrain or icier bumps."
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fear not Comprex, just had a look at the SnR scale you kindly posted and can confirm it wasn't the same SnR scale that I was using originally.

handily, I am about a level 4/5 according to the above.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sanityclawz, enjoy and ski them in good health.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy