Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Correction to misleading ski headline in 'The Independent on Sunday'

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The headline in today's Independent on Sunday:

Snow Report: On your bike. It's the latest way to slide down a mountain

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/snow-report-on-your-bike-its-the-latest-way-to-slide-down-a-mountain-1834832.html

Actually it's not the latest way to slide down a mountain. I recall seeing them in the early 1960s. According to the website www.snow.ws/skibobbing.html the device has a US patent dated 1892.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes indeed - I recal the lifties on Cairngorm using them ages ago.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They have been in use here in the Pyrenees for years. You can actually hire them at Peyragudes.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What I can't understand is this bit of the article:

Quote:
New ways of sliding downhill seem to be invented each year; some catch on, some don't. Ski biking – where your bicycle has skis rather than wheels and you just balance rather than pedal – is one of the former more successful ideas.

Patrick Thorne, the author, is a hugely experienced ski writer. He seems to imply in those words that ski-bobbing is a novelty, but sort of half-contradicts that. The headline writer clearly interpreted that it was a novelty.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have seen some people on ski-bikes in les arcs. They actually look fun, in a kinda pick-up and play (no learning) kinda way.

Can you hire them in france? (preferably on an hourly basis, as I cant quite see the novelty lasting more than 2 hours)

Tux
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
tuxpoo,
Quote:

They actually look fun, in a kinda pick-up and play (no learning) kinda way.

In austria you have to have lessons or they won't let you on the lift!
I really don't think that they are pick-up and play. They aren't like sledges (although that is an art form when done properly) you can even carve on snowbikes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
On our first skitrip 11 years ago to Verbier we used those on a fun evening, you know , the fondue up in the mountain come down drunk on a skibike by torchlight kind
- so definately not new. fond memories though...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They had a few available for free try-outs in Oz (ADH) last season, definitely not pick up and play in my experience even on the bunny hill, quite counter-intuitive to ride and very easy to high side as illustrated by a young lad who got it very wrong going at a good clip and ended up in a heap with a bloody nose! These were actually full suspension mountain bikes with footpegs in place of the bottombracket and skis instead of wheels.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tuxpoo, you can hire them in La Rosiere.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
In fact, you've been able to hire them in La Rosiere since 1892
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had a shot in Les Aarcs a few years ago, they've been offering free shots on them in Maryhofen the last couple of years.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy