Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Garmisch - Partenkirchen

Poster: A snowHead
Watching Channel 4's world cup coverage today made me wonder what Garmisch - Partenkirchen is like as a resort to spend a holiday in. Have any Snowheads had any experience of the place?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
StanBowles, I've skied there a couple of times. The resort is low, and the low runs are quite often short of snow or affected by rain. Right now they look excellent from the TV coverage. There are some pretty wooded runs. February is probably the best time to ski Garmisch.

Despite the unreliable low snow you can always ski at Garmisch, because of the high-altitude ski area up the Zugspitze which is accessed by cog railway or cablecar.

The place is well worth a visit. It was the site of the 1936 Winter Olympics, so you can look at the historical evidence. It's quite a substantial town.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Never done it yet but where else can we find a decent German resort? Been thinking of dropping in for a day or two when going to St Anton
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
StanBowles, It's an interesting place to visit for a couple of days. Depends on what you do. There are a lot of off-piste variants around the Alpspitz area that can keep a guy ( or gal ) busy for quite some time. Some of them are 'very' interesting indeed! On Piste I'd say it's good intermediate terrain. The Kandahar world cup downhill run is fun! I often go to Garmisch because it's only 45 minutes drive from where I live, but I try to avoid it at weekends because the whole of Munich piles down there. Like DG says, it's best in Feb. If you are a powder fanatic then the Zugspitze is the place to go. Highly recommended for off piste, but a bit boring on.
Otherwise, the town has a lot of charm, and is well worth visiting quite aside from the skiing.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Seeing the World Cup Coverage got me intrigued and I was also beginning to think, give the German economy and the 'marginal' nature of the resort, that property prices might be a bit lower. It struck me as possibly not a bad place to invest given the expectation that they will develop the ski area in the next few years.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Depending on where they live many Germans I talked to simply go to Austria or Switzerland to ski as Tirol and Salzburg are not that far away from Garmisch but offer considerably bigger scope.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's certainly enough skiing in GP for a w/e, provided that there is decent snow on the main area. I haven't been to the Zugspitz, as it looks as if it takes a while to get there; it looks pretty dull on the map, and I've heard diametrically opposite reports on whether or not it is dull.

I wouldn't go there if I had a free choice, but if you're in Munich or thereabouts and have a day or two to spare, it's worth a visit. It benefits from a ski area called Wankk, but with only one 'k' (thanks, auto censor), which provides endless amusement for people with a schoolboy sense of humour (such as me).

If I was in St Anton, I certainly wouldn't bother to visit GP.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
richmond, unfortunately the W@nk lifts no longer operate in winter. If you base yourself in Garmisch for a few days then there are several places that are within easy reach and which are definitely worth doing. The main ski area in Garmisch, The Zugspitze (but only for off piste and then only if they have > 3m of snow up there or you will destroy your skis), the Dammkar in Mittenwald (only off piste, there is no piste) and the Laberbergbahn in Oberammergau, which is billed as one of the steepest runs ever anywhere and is also not pisted. All in all there is much more than enough to keep you busy, and weekends aside, the great thing about these places is that you will quite often have the ski area to yourself. That is especially true of the Dammkar (see http://www.dammkar.de/ )
Another ski area in Germany which is definitely worth a visit is the area in and around Oberstdorf. There's enough skiing in Oberstdorf and the Kleinwalsertal to keep you happy for a week, and it is also a really nice place.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mike Lawrie wrote:
richmond, unfortunately the W@nk lifts no longer operate in winter.

Shame. Presumably, if you want to get up in the winter, you have to do it yourself.

(Your avoidance of the censor is much better than mine.)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
richmond, yup. Got to do it yourself. With your feet!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've been there 7 or 8 times so could be in a posistion to judge....the main reason I went was because of the US army recreational facilities there and being attached to UK forces in Germany meant we could use their stuff cheap Very Happy

As far as I was concerned from an advanced-intermediate / low-advanced (not getting into the ratings but 10wks experience) it still has a fair amount to offer, and the Zugspitz is good if not more pricey than Hausberg/Kreuzeck/Alpspitz etc. You can ski the world cup runs unless you go when the event is on, which from memory is Feb sometime (could have changed).

Apart from one freak season out of 8 the 'poor snow' tag it sometimes gets is unjustified for winter through mid march, though I wouldn't be sure about booking a trip during easter. More info on the other German resorts: www.thealps.com
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A message for Stan Bowles - I am taking my 3 small kids to Garmisch next week in the hope of finding a fair bit of snow to play in !
We are not thinking of skiing on this particular trip as we only have 2 days and a tight budget! Do you think I am taking them to the right place just to take them up a mountain to play and have snowball fights etc?
Thanks
hachajo
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike Lawrie, Hi, I'm taking my 3 small kids to Garmisch next week in the hope of finding a bit of snow just for them to play in! Due to a tight budget and only 2 days there we are not planning to ski! Do you think I am taking them to the right place to let them just go up a mountain and have snowball fights and make snowmen?
(We couldn't afford Lapland!!)
Thanks
hachajo
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Why not take a look at their web-cam?

Garmisch is a nice German holiday place so I don't think anything could go wrong. Not sure about the snow as I am looking at web cam in the evening time. Went there last year Feb time and had a great time. It is a well organised resort.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hachajo, you may just be the luckiest snowball fighter on the planet! I was in Garmisch on my bike ten days ago: at 1700m it was +16C and there was no snow. Zilch. Nada. This has been the warmest Autumn ever recorded. As it turns out, we are scheduled to get a big temp drop tomorrow, and snow down to 600m. So you may just get lucky and snowball fights ( and even some skiing ) are probably on again.
Have Fun

Mike
ski holidays
Mike Lawrie,
Hi Mike, thanks for that! We are all getting excited but obviously a little anxious as to whether we are going to see any of the white stuff or not!! I wonder if you would be kind enough to let me know how the weather goes early next week prior to our arrival?
Thanks again for your info!
Debbie
snow conditions
hachajo, it's been snowing here in Munich. The forecast is for more of the same. Looks like you're in luck.
latest report
Garmisch is a nice resort. Pretty area, with an interesting past going back hundreds of years. Garmisch town is low (700m), which is where the 'poor snow' tag comes from. However, the Zugspitze glacier sits at around 3000m and nearly always has snow (it opened in Nov this season). Ski area is modest -- good for 2 to 3 days max. Suitable mostly for beginners and intermediates. As others mention, crowds and slow lifts are the biggest pain. Bavarians pile in by car and train on the weekend. The lift system to the top is inadequate during peak periods. Big lines for the main tram are commonplace. Overall, a nice station to hang at for a daytrip or weekender.
snow conditions
[quote="saikee"]Why not take a look at their [url=http://www.garmisch-partenkirchen.de/en/db41673c-3301-78c8-8a27-52cc9b4d45f6.html]web-cam[/url]?

Garmisch is a nice German holiday place so I don't think anything could go wrong. Not sure about the snow as I am looking at web cam in the evening time. Went there last year Feb time and had a great time. It is a well organised resort.[/quote]

Thanks for that! I'm addicted to the web-cam now!!
Debbie
ski holidays
hachajo, Hi Mike,
Its great having someone in Munich who is able to tell me whats what!! Thanks!
Wondered if you could reccommend anywhere to stay if arriving in Munich late Weds evening and not travelling to Garmisch until early Thurs morning? i.e. does it make sense to stay somewhere near Munich airport or somewhere in the city close to the train station?
Thanks for all your help, hope you don't mind!
Debbie
ski holidays
hachajo, I live in Munich, so I don't get to use Hotels here very often.
I wouldn't stay out at the airport. The only Hotel I know out there is the Kempinski and it's ludicrously expensive. What kind of Hotel are you looking for? Simple B&B or the works?
snow conditions
Puzzled

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 10-12-06 20:41; edited 3 times in total
snow report
Mike Lawrie, Well, considering it may be about 11pm we would literally just want to get our heads down! It would either be a case of getting some kip as near to the airport as poss, as it will be quite late, or, travel to the station once we arrive then we don't have to do it in the morning to get our train to Garmisch! A small family run B&B type thing would be perfect! Definately don't want the works.
Thanks again
ski holidays
hachajo, we found exactly what you're looking for from the Garmisch Tourist Office.
ski holidays
Holy thread resurrection !

Has anyone been to garmisch for the mens down hill weekend?

Is it crazy busy/no decent accommodation/full of crazy people?

We are considering a flying visit, Munich to garmisch on the Friday, stay til Sunday evenings
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy