Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Garmisch??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. Can anyone give me any advice about Garmisch? We had been hoping to travel to Zell am see but are finding it impossible to get accommodation. We are flying into Munich on 26th December for five days and we are looking for a resort quite near to the city. We dont want to hire a car , preferring rail transport. We are (poor) intermediaries who just love the idea of cruising down the slopes - and there are one or two non-skiers in the party - these ladies would rather go window shopping in the neighbouring towns or cities!! Would anyone recommend Garmisch? Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is no snow in Garmisch, the classic area is closed. The Zugspitze area is open, but it is pretty limited.

Plenty of shops in Garmisch though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is snow up in the Garmisch classic area . Not sure how much. They are opening on the 18th of December.
The classic area is fine for a few days skiing for intermediates, if the valley runs are open then you have some really good cruising / speeding runs on the Kandahar and Olympia pistes. If not then the area can be a bit limited, although there is some pretty decent technical off piste. They've built a bunch of new infrastructure up there in the last couple of years, this year replacing the last of the ancient chairlifts up to the top of the Kandahar with a four man chair.
The Zugspitze glacier is much underrated! When the whole area is open you have some fairly decent cruising runs which are fine for beginners to intermediates. But the main attraction up there is the off piste, which really has to be tried to be believed! All but one of the runs is currently open, with more snow scheduled in the next few days I reckon it will all be open soon.

Garmisch is a really nice town, and like stevev says has plenty of shops with plenty of windows!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
OK there is snow.

What I meant to say was, last week it was green. On Friday they had some snow. It is closed for now, they need more snow.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Garmisch is perfect for your group!

I was there at the same time in three winters ago, which you will remember had much less snow that this year so far. It was fine then, and it will be fine this year.

Garmisch is an easy and cheap train ride from the Munich airport. You will have to change trains once in Munich. If you travel by RE train rather than IC (adding not more than a couple minutes to your journey), you can buy a Bayern Ticket for something like €30 that is valid all day for up to 5 people traveling together.

The Zugspitze glacier has been open since October, and last I checked had 150 cm of snow. There is enough low-intermediate cruising there for a day. The journey up the mountain and the viewing area on top also attract a lot of non-skiers (and for reasons only the lift company can explain, a ski pass costs only slightly more than a round-trip ticket for non-skiers).

The Classic Area (the skiing accessed right from Garmisch) is great for long cruising runs. The will move Heaven and Earth to blow enough snow to have the valley runs open by Christmas. Those long valley runs are Garmisch's real asset. In my opinion the best skiing in the Classic Area besides the Kanahar and Olympia Downhills (ski them first thing in the morning before they get crowded/carved up) is in the Alpspitze portion, but German environmental rules mean there is no snow-making in that area. If it's open, it's usually less crowded and more interesting. Finally, the Classic Area is full of huts with great food for lunch and plenty of libations for apres.

The best skiing, however, is about 20 minutes away by train in Lermoos. Great intermediate cruising, and it's also a bit higher than the Classic Area and has more snowmaking. You can also travel a little further by train to Bichelbach and ski over to Berwang. This area is more lower-intermediate, although the opposite side of the valley from Berwang has some more advanced skiing. It's also good for a day.

So you can ski one day each between the Zugspitze, Classic Area, Lermoos and Bichelbach-Berwang and have plenty of variety.

Also remember that Garmisch (Partenkirchen, actually) hosts the New Years ski jumping. There will be events in town all week leading up to the compeition, including bands in the town center each night and a biathlon competition right in the middle of town. It's a really festive time. Even if you do not go to the ski jumping on New Years day, you can get in to the training and qualifaction on the 31st. It's very impressive.

Go, you'll have a geat time!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ami in berlin, Yes I agree. Lermoos is definitely worth a visit!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GaP is an interesting alternative for a short break, though not huge by alpine standards. Easy cruising mostly on Hausberg and adjoining area, limited but snowsure on the glacier. Nightlife is dirt cheap by comparison to major resorts (Irish Pub nice and lively) with some cool bars and good eateries. Plenty of shops in pedestrianised area with inexpensive good quality hotels aplenty (try hotel Leiner). Only downside is that people seem to be cottoning-on to GaP, there's been reports in a lot of the 'papers and may not stay a hidden gem for long!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone, I will be keeping an eye on this. Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm giving pretty serious thought to 'gapa'...

Are there any runs down from the very top of Zugzpitze, or is it just a viewing platform? Are there well-established off-piste ways down?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We have just booked a hotel for one week during January in Lermoos and I certainly hope to visit the Zugspitz and maybe cross the border and ski a little in the fatherland just for the hell of it. The little lacal resorts , although not particularly high look delightful and all look fairly near to each other but not linked. This will be a different experience for me and one I am looking forward too. The prices are also refreshingly full of value!!

There is excellent snow there at the moment too!

http://www.zugspitzarena.com/cms/de/livecam/livecam.php4
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
paulio,
Quote:
Are there any runs down from the very top of Zugzpitze
No!
There is a route from the top down to Ehrwald on the Austrian side, which starts at the 'Neue Welt' (ex)chairlift, but it involves a bit of abseiling in the middle. Other than that I don't know of any reasonable way of doing it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
northantsred, the Zugspitzarena is scenically one of the best places in the Alps. The skiing in Lermoos is actually quite good as well. Good choice. And like I keep on telling people, the Zugspitze is much underrated, especially for off piste.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
northantsred, have a Williams for me at the end of the day at the Larme Ente. Here's a view from Lermoos:
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steilhang, that is exactly what my mate told me and one of the reasons we booked Very Happy

ami in berlin, my very first will be for you wink

Is that Ehrwald at the base of Zugspitze in the distance?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It is. If you look very closely, you can see the towers and cables of the tram up the Zugspitze.
ski holidays
Steilhang wrote:
paulio,
Quote:
Are there any runs down from the very top of Zugzpitze
No!
There is a route from the top down to Ehrwald on the Austrian side, which starts at the 'Neue Welt' (ex)chairlift, but it involves a bit of abseiling in the middle. Other than that I don't know of any reasonable way of doing it.

That sounds a bit extreme. Might give that a miss.

Is it reasonable to travel to Ehrwald from Garmisch by cable car (top of the glacier and back down again)? How long would that take? Anyone know?

I presume there are Garmisch-Ehrwald-Lermoos-Berwang buses, are there? Covered by the lift pass?
snow conditions
I went to Garmisch last year for New Year, had a great time.

Accomodation can be tricky to find at that time but well worth it. Ski Jumping competition was great to watch and atmosphere was amazing.

Slopes were pretty hectic but theres enough to keep an intermediate busy for a good few days especially with the new Kandahar run open. if u dont mind the long train journey, I thought the Zugspitze area was well worth the trip, stunning scenery from the top, in fact we went back for a 2nd day.

Although as someone mentioned there is no way down off the top, the next best thing to try to the 'train run'. Get off at the first train stop down the mountain (make sure your skis are on the left hand side of the train or preferably inside). You are then at the top of a 5 km red run down to the next stop at Eibsee. Your mission if you choose to except is to beat the train down to that next stop, otherwise your in for an hours wait for the next train! I made it, only just, as i wasnt quite sure of the way in a couple of places, was quite funny running for the train in ski boots, with friends hanging out the doors screaming at me to hurry up! Very Happy

You dont have to go mad to make it, just keep a nice steady pace. The route winds through the forests, can be quite bumpy in places and theres a couple of short up hill sections but it was my highlight of the week. Laughing
ski holidays
paulio, while you can theoretically catch the cog railway to the Zugspitze glacier, the cable car to the peak and then the cable car down to Ehrwald, it only makes sense if your object is sightseeing rather than skiing or getting somewhere in a timely fashion. It is picturesque, though.

There are Lermoos, Ehrwald buses, but Garmisch and Berwang just on the train. The train also stops in Ehrwald and Lermoos. It's really the best way to get around. It is not covered by the lift pass, but it does not cost much at all (couple euros).

MarkMTB, you can alway just hang out in the hut at the bottom of the train run and drink a couple beers in comfort waiting for the next train. There's actually a bus too that runs back to Garmisch from the Eibsee hotel that keeps a different schedule as the train if you're anxious to get back.
ski holidays
ami in berlin, you're a goldmine of info. Thanks.
ski holidays
No worries. It's a nice area that I feel gets a bad rap from some. There's a lot more there than first meets the eye. I'd hate to see the German ski industry disappear, too.
ski holidays
Hi, we have just booked flying to Garmisch for 5 adults and 6 children [yes 6!]. Does anyone know of good transfer company, Munich to Garmisch, who are not going to charge the earth. I am panicking a bit as we are flying on the 20th! Train sounds a good idea, but with children ranging from 2 yrs to 10 yrs, it could be a nightmare!
snow report
urs44, there's an hourly train from Munich main station (Hauptbahnhof) down to Garmisch. Takes about 1h25 to get there. You can get from Munich airport direct to the Hauptbahnhof by train (S-Bahn). Six children? No problem at all Toofy Grin
snow report
Toofy Grin Thanks for that. BUT, there is aways a but, we arrive 20.00 hrs on a Wednesday. How do I find out if there will be a train at that time? Can't make sense of the Bahn website and all info says 'hourly unil early evening'! You are right, 6 children no problem as they will be hyper anyway.
snow report
urs44, by the look of things the trains leave München Hauptbahnhof every hour until 23:33

Not sure if this link will work for you, but this is the bahn website.
ski holidays
I have just been trawling the piste maps and although none of the ski areas are particularly high, Berwang to me looks quite interesting. Has anyone skied this area and if so how did you find it?
Also as we are staying in Lermoos, would it be worthwhile to take the train with my skis to Garmisch or leave the skis at the hotel and just have a day out without skis with OH?
Or.....take the lift up to the top of Zugstitze and the go down the other side and ski some?

Thanks, Greg
snow conditions
northantsred, Lermoos itself is really quite a decent area! I havn't skied in Berwang myself so can't comment.
Getting to Garmisch over the Zugspitze is not really viable. It would take you several hours. If you want to ski Garmisch then the train is the best option, the train takes you direct to the Hausbergbahn. Of course a walk around Garmisch is nice too Very Happy
snow report
I went to the Garmisch classic area today. It was better than expected. A bit icy in places, they need fresh snow. They were busy trying to prepare the last few runs that were closed. Very cold at the top station after the sun went down.
snow report
stevev, I was there on two days ago. Quite icy, especially on the Olympia run; I watched my eight year old slide the whole way down the steilhang above the new four man Kandahar chair on his bum:shock: I think snow is on the way though, so no problems Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steilhang wrote:
stevevsteilhang above the new four man Kandahar chair on his bum:shock: I think snow is on the way though, so no problems Very Happy

I think that part was the worst in the whole area. Made worse as Black2 and Red3 were closed so all the valley traffic was on Olympia or Kandahar. I was suprised how many skiers who looked like they shouldn't be on a red were going down it.
snow conditions
stevev wrote:
I was suprised how many skiers who looked like they shouldn't be on a red were going down it.

That's always a problem. People want to say they've skied it. I usually make sure to get on the first lift up in the morning, bang down it five or six times before the crowds arrive, and then move on and avoid it for the rest of the day. Skiing it freshly groomed is a big plus, too.
snow report
Steilhang, ami in berlin, well we did have a cracking week. Stayed in a nice hotel on half board terms just a little way up above the the bubble. Very pleasant family run place. We skied Lermoos the first 2 days, my wife just skiing in the morning. Took the bus on Tuesday over to Ehrwald Alm which was really nice. Then met up with friends and skied Berwang in brilliant blue skies on Wednesday. we skied with them for the rest of the week. Thursday took in both areas of Ehrwald on deserted pistes and finished the week back in Lermoos although my wife and I went up the top of Zugspitz first thing on another clear day, I regretted not taking my skis up because the ski area looked very inviting even with only drag lifts!!
So thank you for the early info it was most useful. I did however find the ski bus a bit tiresome and only used it one day deciding to drive on subsequent days. I really enjoyed the area and having never "village skied" before would definitely return. Berwang is really nice, very pretty and in a sun trap of a bowl, I think this is a place to take any future grandchildren to, if we are ever blessed, pre-school and learn them to ski.
Oh and Willi was consumed copiously.... wink
ski holidays
northantsred, glad to hear you had a good time. I was in Lermoos on Sunday with my son and a friend of his. Excellent day was had by them cos they managed to get me to fall over in the moguls rolling eyes The place was empty, fantastic Toofy Grin
snow report
Just back from Garmisch, brilliant holiday.
Worth noting - If you arrive late at Munich airport, and plan to take train from Munich to Garmisch. Yes, Bayern ticket is brilliant. 5 adults 6 children travelled from Munich airport to Garmisch for Euro 22 total. Not so brilliant, had to wait 1 hour for train from HBF to Garmisch as we missed 9.30 pm train [our flight arrived 8pm]- only allowed 3 minutes between S bahn arrival and train leaving. Just try it with luggage and 6 kids - not possible.

Garmisch - going back to Bad Hofgastein next year, better infrastructure for skiers.
snow conditions
Quote:

oing back to Bad Hofgastein next year, better infrastructure for skiers.

Yep if you are used to heated seats even inside the gondolas!
snow conditions
did you check out the apres bar at lermoos??? its crazy on sunday nights! i went and i really loved arhwald , did you go to hausburg? i liked it there i especially liked the runs number 1 and number 4....i chickened out of the kandahar though! i think hausburgs pretty hardcore for beginners but better for intermediates who want to cruise in some places and do some hard carving in others and apart from the 2 blue slopes its a bit more challenging than ahrwald and a place i think is called bierwank although i could of got the spelling wrong??? also did you check out the irish bar???? its just a pub run by an irish guy but its like the only place you can get cider and guiness LOL Laughing
snow report
urs44, sorry about the train connection. I've always changed at a stop before you get all the way to the main station in Munich. Seems to give a few extra minutes. I'm not sure all trains stop there, though, so that might not have even been an option for you. I also like Bad Gastein. Garmisch feels at times like a museum piece in terms of infrastructure. It's pretty and it's funky, but 1936 was a long time ago. They've been making upgrades for next year's World Championships, and hopefully there will be more if Munich gets the Olympics.

harriet, just to translate:
arhwald = Ehrwald
hausburgs = Hausberg
bierwank = Biberwier. Unless you mean W@nk, but that mountain's been closed for skiing for years. Bierwank is an interesting mental image, though. Thanks for that.
irish bar is actually called Irish Bar, I believe, and the owner is indeed a nice guy.
In Lermoos I'm guessing you mean Larme Ente. Also good fun.
snow report
ami in berlin, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
ami in berlin, but apart from that everything was right... Right?
ski holidays
Steilhang, not sure. I've been too focused on Bierwanking for the past hour or so to really think about the rest. I question if the Irish Pub really is the only place to get cider and guiness, but as I drink neither I don't really care.
snow report
ami in berlin, Bierwanking is a traditional Bavarian and Tirolean thing. You have to wear Lederhosen and speak with a gruff dialect or you just look like a tourist with a problem!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy