Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Headtorches

Poster: A snowHead
I realise it's not strictly ski related but I'm sure there's some of you on here that are knowledgable in the subject. My brother thinks he might have lost his so i might get him a new one for christmas if it doesn't turn up. Pretty sure this is the one he had before http://www.petzl-head-torches.co.uk/petzl_tikka_xp_head_torch.htm Anyone know if there's any particular places that have good deals on either that one or similar ones. Cheers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tesco usually has them for about a tenner.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
el nombre, what in the world do you mean 'not strictly ski related'? How in the blazes is one to poach a ski slope at night without a head lamp?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
el nombre, For skiing or climbing I prefer a halogen for the beam length.
For general use you can't beat ... the Alpkit Gamma http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16345&category_id=253

£15 quid and much better than the Petzl.

Now I love my Petzl Zoom... twin headlamp with low power and halogen bulb. But for an LED model the Alpkit version is simply superb. Many brightness levels, flashing red LED on rear and also green and red on front for map reading without compromising your night vision.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I didn't mention... it's tiny... really tiny and very light. For keeping in a pocket or rucksack lid for the odd night time descent it is perfect. Very long battery life too out of the treble As.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
what's it for? usually a compromise on brightness, beam and run-time. I just got one of these for MTB use - easily mounted on helmethttp://www.wholesaletip.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=999_903&product_id=12325&currency=GBP
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
eithnem, It's good for general descents etc and camping. If you were intending to use a head torch in earnest in bad weather conditions then I'd go for a large model with a 100m beam. A sky full of snow and picking a route requires power.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
eithnem, I've got a 4 D cell maglite and compared to a caving headlamp it's a candle. Always a compromise.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Essential kit for putting on snowchains IF you don't have winter tyres snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
el nombre, I got mine form TK Maxx for about £6 (not a Petzel though)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IncogSkiSno, I got a cheapie version for 3 quid from Aldi but it died after two years. My Zoom is 10 yrs old. For general use cheap is ok... if you are intending to depend on it in a hostile environment I know what I'd pick. Powerful torch and Alpkit LED as lightweight back up.
Saw a great long range LED head torch for almost £300 the other day. Would love one of those but too expensive for what I need.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Essential kit for putting on snowchains IF you don't have winter tyres

yes, that reminds me, must dig mine out and make sure it's handy. Although I do have winter tyres (and two of them brand new still got hairy bits on). wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tikka is very good for ambient light - the benchmark for cost and weight. Have one in your glove compartment, toolkit, etc. at all times. For outdoor stuff the Petzl Myo XP is superb (not prettiest though) as is the Black Diamond Icon. Give him a good one, he's your brother...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
we give led head torches to friends of our 7yr old sons as birthday presents (about £7 complete with batteries from B&Q) always popular- some have been known to keep them on all night.

Unless your brother is likley to use it seriously I'd suggest B&Q or tescos- and get him a bottle of Scotch with the money you save.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Got a backup one in Poundland. 6 LEDs takes 3 AAA batteries. Price might have been cheap but I can't say my self esteem is as high as it was wink
snow conditions
If you are looking for cheapies, you can get a wind up one from Go Outdoors for £2.99.

I got one yesterday, to replace my old Petzl tungsten bulb one. It gives better light from a few seconds of winding than the Petzl did with 4 AA batteries.

But it is very basic - 3 white LEDs, you can have one on, all three on, or all three flashing. And it wouldn't be powerful enough for skiing with, but is plenty for hunting around under the bonnet or, as Boredsurfing said, for putting on chains.
latest report
Alpkit sort of beats the opposition hands down for every day use.

Anything else then take your pick.
snow report
Scarpa, yeah I am sure I'd pick a better one too if I needed it for extreme conditions, I bought mine so that when I came out of the Mooserwirt somwwhat the worse for drink, I could see in the dark, but in all honesty I don't think I needed it. It is a Rolson - not sure if that is a good brand or not.
ski holidays
I'm not sure he necessarily needs a fancy one but i know he definitely will want a fancy one, even if it meant him putting some money in. He seems to make most use of it for when he goes away on riding or climbing trips etc but he doesn't actually use it for the activities, just for finding where he dropped his folding titanium spork (that might give you some idea of why he doesn't want a tecos headtorch). We did use them climbing Wedge near whistler which was about as gnarly as it got activity wise but we're also wanting to do the haute route in the not so distant future so decent one may be handy. So far i think it seems to be a toss up between another of the same or the alpkit. they seem to do some pretty good deals, my brother has been pretty pleased with his bouldering mat and thermarest doodad he got from there.
snow report
el nombre, used a tikka xp lots of times last season when skinning in the early hours (around 3 or 4am), not the brightest torch in the word but perfectly acceptable, and lightweight.
ski holidays
If you can afford it Silva are making the most of some of the new LED technology. The Alpha 2 'spot light beam' lights up a good 150 meters... bit pricey, but will be on my shopping list (hooefully on ebay after someone got it for christmas...)
ski holidays
Have you looked at facewest
ski holidays
I got my Petzel one from Decathlon, they had a really good choice. Boy have things improved since I bought my original Petzel which weighed in at 307gramms and always required a new battery to be carried adding further to the weight. The new on lasts 10 times longer and is 1/5th the weight.
latest report
I use a Tiga SL at work, it has superb coverage and all night battery life. Not exactly compact however!
snow conditions
If you really want something BRIGHT... I can recommend Ay ups
ski holidays
I used the Petzl Zoom for ice climing in the Rockies at night. We decided to do an icefall by the power station behind Canmore very late evening once during a massive snowstorm. It was magical... peering upwards into a flurry od large snowflakes and then trecking out though the forest at nidnight. Glad I could get the car onto the road though Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy