Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets - what do you think?

Poster: A snowHead
I haven't read all of this excellent and no doubt informative thread, but my guess is you've all got the wrong end of (my?) stick.

I have two helmets - as I understand it, they are a fashion accessory so I figured it was necessary to have two colour options so that I can match them to whichever pair of ski pants I have chosen for the day.

Should I also get a second pair of alpine boots so that the colour coordination can be extended to cover the whole outfit?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
zammo, I think it depends on how old you are, and how you are travelling to resort. If you are driving, then of course take as many different coloured helmets/boots/pants as you like, then you can lord it over those whose helmets clash with the rest of their outfits because they couldn't squeeze enough combinations into their baggage allowances. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
zammo wrote:
I have two helmets - as I understand it, they are a fashion accessory so I figured it was necessary to have two colour options so that I can match them to whichever pair of ski pants I have chosen for the day.

I am hoping you are a lady poster otherwise jb1970 has the answer to his signature Shocked
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
aldoyle, snobbery being defined by you as daring to point out when you talk total cack?

Zammo - I am amazed you can make do with just one pair of boots - of course you need different colours for different outfits, visibility conditions and to match your skis... Toofy Grin Wink

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 7-12-09 11:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
[b]stoatsbrother[/b rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
aldoyle,
Quote:

jzBun, I have never stated that rental boots have been perfect, they have simply done the job.

They have obviously never done the job by your own admission. Or rather, you suffered for 10 years and, without admitting rental boots were hindering your enjoyment, bought a pair on the advice of people who know. i.e. peolpe on this forum. Now you have boots that fit but you won't acknowledge the fact that you may have been wrong all those years.

Helmets?
I bought one last year after 20 years of skiing wihout one. Because? Well, I now ski in more unforgiving terrain, have "woodbine green" pants and need to coordinate. Beanies are so 1990's.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Three pages jb1970 will be proud Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Only needs to save your life once
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I board as well, and wear a helemt for that.
When skiing, I werar a helemt if very hungover or doing something stupid/out of my comfort zone.
I wear a hat if I am just taking it easy.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Problem is once you start using a helmet you feel unsafe without it & sods law, a mishap will occur the instance you don't use it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
15 or so years ago the only recreational skier I saw wearing a helmet was a Neurosurgeon and that was an old motorbike helmet, mind you he was a prat anyway.
Other than that were racers.........every one thought "they are racers they must be good

10 years ago the only ones wearing helmets were the proper off piste-ers
.......everyone thought they must be good, they ski off piste

5 or so years ago when more and more started wearing helmets...........no-one thought anything of it

Last year now the majority wear helmets and it dosen't look out of place
..........everyone thought they can't be very good if they feel the need to wear a helmet
..........And those that don't wear a helmet must be good enough not to
Even if dead soon
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rocksteadee, there's no way the majority wear helmets. Children yes, but probably less than 10% of adults I saw in Courmayeur last season and probably only half of the instructors. Clearly helmets are not stylish enough for the Italians! Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yup quite right for Italy, Forgot to mention was in Colorada last year
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As an instructor on a dry slope when teaching the youngest kids (4 to 6) virtually every one of them wears a helmet, so can see it won't be long before we have to wear them.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When skiing with my youngest (started at 6 now 16) I always made him wear one, getting the usual comments "why should I when you don't" ..... Quite right but after a bit of gentle parenting (good slap) saying I'm the adult you're the child you will do as you are told but at 16 you are then old enough to make your own mind up, he now wears one automatically.
But still has a pop at me for not wearing a helmet, trouble is he is now bigger than me so it more likely for him to give me a slap
Looks like I am taking this year to wear not just to fill a hole in the suitcase.
snow conditions
Crying or Very sad Yesterday, the forum was a helmet-free zone.
snow report
At the Stubaier the other day, I forgot to take my helmet. At least 75% of people (skiers and boarders) had helmets. Last year in St Anton it was probably 50/50. This year in Saalbach all the instructors (with Furstauer ski school anyway) will be obliged to wear helmets. I think this is failry representative of Austria, dunno about France/Italy though. But definitely more than 10% of adults wear one, for instance of the group that I used to go on ski holidays with (freinds/fam/etc) all the fathers now wear helmets. It's becomming pretty commonplace, and you definitely don't look out of place. You don't have to look like a tool either, there are plenty of really coll looking lids available now.
ski holidays
We are going skiing to Morzine in January and I have forked out for mid-range helmets for the whole family. We are all novice skiers (but intend to ski every year) & very likely to have close-ups with trees etc. To me, it seems daft not to. I only have one head (despite what some people say Wink and I intend to keep it in one piece. If my kids have to wear one (because I say so) then I'm going to set an example. Just hope no-one on the slopes has the same helmet as me - that would be just unforgivable Wink
ski holidays
queen bodecia,
Quote:

Rocksteadee, there's no way the majority wear helmets. Children yes, but probably less than 10% of adults I saw in Courmayeur last season and probably only half of the instructors. Clearly helmets are not stylish enough for the Italians!

That may be the case in some places in Italy, but was not our experience in the Sella Ronda last season. This season, we have just come back from St Anton, and also visited Ischgl - we remarked on how uncommon non-helmeted skiers were, in a very small minority. Going up a chair we counted the number of helmeted v non-helmeted and over 80% were wearing helmets. Certainly in these resorts helmets seem to be the norm now.
snow conditions
I don't know if this advances the debate at all but I used to be...
Mountain bike: all the time
Road bike: often but certainly not always
Skiing: not for me, at least until everyone else is wearing them (and the kids cotton on that they are and I'm not)

This afternoon I had what could have been a bad crash on my road bike. Now I know all the well-rehearsed helmet arguments (bike and ski) so I'm not going to delare myself saved from certain death or anything but I was hugely impressed by how the helmet did its job. I'm a big bloke and was travelling quite fast when my head hit tarmac. My noggin whacked into the road, stopping dead without pain or injury. Since the crash I've had some bruising come out on my forehead (which didn't hit the ground) and a V-shaped abrasion on my cheek from the strap but that's it. The helmet's toast though, 8-10 cracks some all the way through - it's really only held together by the outer skin.

So now I'm...
Mountain bike: all the time
Road bike: all the time
Skiing: definitely thinking about it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy