Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets - what do you think?

Poster: A snowHead
[quote="aldoyle"]
I speak purely out of observation of the last 20 years and how skiing / the people who have come into skiing have changed

[quote]

I'm reluctant to respond to some obviously trolling posts but I'm not sure exactly what kind of snobbery is at play here - if you started skiing recently you're some hipster, all the gear no idea fashion victim or you're a paranoid mummy's boy or girl?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatbob, snobbery isnt my bag. its exactly the snobbery of the helmet lovers (in general) that I've witnessed over the last 6-8 years that turns me away from that 'image' or mentality.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

In Austria it is law (which is also quoted by the AA and the Michelin restaurant guide) that snow chains must be carried in the helmet if the piste has a blue sign.
It is not, however, a legal requirement to carry helmet-chains at all times... only on designated routes. It is law to ensure that from November to May you have helmet treaded tyres carrying the H & S or the little (^) sign.

Thanks for clearing that up Toofy Grin would a studded winter helmet still be legal?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just been out and bought helmets for Mrs G and myself today
I have avoided the debate on here about wearing them or not but
1. I would not go out on my bike without one
2. Your skull thins as you get older and generally I don't bounce as well as i used too
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
aldoyle wrote:
its exactly the snobbery of the helmet lovers (in general) that I've witnessed over the last 6-8 years that turns me away from that 'image' or mentality.
Clear as mud. But I'm happy for it to remain that way. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I wear a helmet.

I managed to ski off a twelve foot high rock in flat light last year. Add six and a half feet of me and my head took an 18 foot trip straight to an icy hard piste that was bisecting my path. I was distinctly off-colour for an hour or so thereafter and I would absolutely dread to think what would have happened if I'd have been wearing a beanie hat.

Argue all you like about aesthetics or trends.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
aldoyle, no - I am no exception. I have skied with a lot of guys who ski well and have done so for many years who wear lids. Just because you are unobservant - or perhaps only ski in France - doesn't make your facile generalisations correct.

I suspect and hope fatbob is right and that you are a troll. Otherwise you make no sense, no sense at all mate.

Ah yep - I see - you are the bloke who has skied for 20 years - but only just thought it worth buying boots...

got any more equipment tips and observations for us humble peasants? wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stoatsbrother, is this true?
Quote:

2. Your skull thins as you get older
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
aldoyle wrote:
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

I think asking people when they started skiing is irrelevant

and Quote:
helmets are for parks + (some)people who started skiing in the last 5-10 years

is rather a silly thing to say.

I speak purely out of observation of the last 20 years and how skiing / the people who have come into skiing have changed

Attitudes have certainly changed considerably in the last 5-10 years. But I don't think that is only (or even mainly) due to the new people in tath time wearing helmets.

Quote:

Quote:

I have skied for 25 years - spend a fair amount of time in the trees and on steeps... I wear a lid.

I'd suggest your an exception, rather than the 'rule' (as quoted from 'He's just not that in to you')

I don't think so. I see more people wearing them than not nowadays - mainly skiing in Austria, so I don't know if that is equally true in other countries. But the people wearing them seem to be older people just as much as younger.

Out of interest, I tried actually counting when I had half an hour to wait for my lift pass to become valid last year, and just over 70% of all the skiers and boarders I saw coming in to the base lift were wearing helmets.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boredsurfing, I don't think so - but not my field. What is certainly true is that I have less functioning brain to spare - and more people dependant on its earnings. Confused

Actually - I have had both an MRI and a CT scan of my skull and brain in the last few weeks - and I do have one small thin spot of my skull. I have refused to tell my wife where it is, even though we don't have any golf clubs to hand... wink

alex_heney, that mirrors my observations last year - from standing in lift queues in the US and Switzerland. Possibly less so in Italy - but not much.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

I have had both an MRI and a CT scan of my skull and brain in the last few weeks

Shocked Hope you're OK.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I started to wear a helmet about 3 years ago simply because I was getting more adventurous with my ski-ing; off piste, trees and taking an interest in freestyle. It has saved my bacon a few times, mainly from muppets with skis on their shoulders turning round to talk to their friends but also from trees and a couple of rocks.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I misjudged a chair bar on one occasion - my helmet took one hell of crack against the bar, still nearly knocked me over, but at least it didn't knock me out (I think it could have done)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Strange, on the occaisions I wear my helmet some blow or other to my head occurs, a chairlift bar or a muppet with shouldered ski's but when I ski without my helmet none of these occur Confused Never understood that ....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alex_heney wrote:
But the people wearing them seem to be older people just as much as younger.

That's certainly the case here in Scotland with lots of 'mature' folk like me wearing helmets. Also, from a not very scientific visual poll in lift queues last season I reckon 3 out of 4 at Glencoe use lids and maybe 50/50 at Cairngorm. A natural East / West split maybe or something to do with experience and the perceived risk of the terrain ? As Weegies don't generally have a cultural reputation for worrying about their health, I suspect the latter. Toofy Grin
snow report
It depends on what you are planning to ski - You can get away without it most of the time on piste, but a comfortable lid isn't bad and can help to keep you warm. as well. I don't always wear one, a decision based more on weather than safety, but as a biker with a good few tumbles, I wouldn't even consider going out without lid, gloves, boots (with magnesium leg protectors), leathers, etc etc. I have been falling off bikes for 20 years and it usually hurts a lot. Falling off skis doesn't usually hurt, but I suppose if I applied some degree of logic to it I would wear as much PPE as I could when skiing. That said, continuing with the same logic, I would give up biking and skiing as both of them could prove fatal either with or without PPE
latest report
Quote:

I speak purely out of observation of the last 20 years

aldoyle, then you were an uncommonly observant 3 year old.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=56990&highlight=season&start=40
ski holidays
pam w, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
How come helmets seem to be obligitory with snowboarders? I thought they were too cool for that kind of thing?
snow conditions
ph, you've obviously never caught an edge on your snowboard trying to keep some speed up on a long flat path. wink
ski holidays
pam w, No seeing as no one is going to get me on a snowboard! It took too much effort to ski without having to start again. Shocked
latest report
pam w, nice spot...

I am not sure that it was observation he was speaking out of... Toofy Grin

Hurtle, yes - ok.
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, good.
ski holidays
flangesax, I presume it is also necessary to have a head torch fitted between November and May? Very Happy
snow conditions
Late starter, James May?
ski holidays
Mrs Spurs and I bought helmets last week in readiness for our trip in Jan.
We're getting better at skiing and are going to be going a bit faster, on steeper slopes, than we have in the past (conditions permitting) so we feel that any falls we have are likely to be that bit harder.
I look like a total plank when wearing it, but I'm not entering a fashion competition.
latest report
Quote:

I look like a total plank

Just the one, youspurs1?
latest report
kevindonkleywood, studded winter helmets are legal but the studs must fit the legal size requirements ( here )

Late starter, No... head torches are not a requirement but you must have a spare set of ear bits, a fluffy monster cover and a warning under-chin strap.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stoatsbrother, pam w, correct, Ive been skiing since I was 3 years old, and whilst I can certainly remember very little of skiing at that age, photos and the people I skiied with at that age tell me so.... Plus of course the following 19 years of which become more so memorable....

oh and stoatsbrother, if you have read my post about boots, you'd be able to understand why I never felt it necessary before - because I never had any issues on any type of run I have been presented with.
ski holidays
if you look at how many of the world's top skiers have very little hair left, that adds another line to this enquiry (and i'm not just talking about the women skiers either ! ) - sorry poor joke.

I bought one last year when i was skiing on my own for 3 days on hard pistes - glad i did ; was comfortable, stopped goggles steaming up as well ! Trouble is this year, i'll have to get one for my wife otherwise it will be me and the 6 year old wearing them and her not !

Actually my biggest stress is the rude (but very well disguised/camo'd) stickers that are all over it, which you couldnt see on the orginal advertisement - can get away with them on a mens trip , but hardly on a family trip !! Any suggestions greatly receoved to solve that one ("Daddy what are all those pictures ?" - good excuse to go back to a thick woolly hat !
snow report
Personal choice for everyone, If you think you want one adn need one wear one, if you dont dont its up to you
snow report
aldoyle, thing is - you make a series of silly generalisations here based on your huge and long experience and many people think you are talking pants. And as for the snob bit and stuff about silver spoons... Who paid for your first 15 years skiing? Wink
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, talking pants about what exactly?
and 'snob bit' + silver spoons as you say above - I dont think you need to be a snob to ski Very Happy although its a shame that a fair few of you on here demonstrate those traits. And, my dad paid for my first 15 years skiing, staying in bargain basement chalets, in the cheapest places we could find at the time, generally no more than £150 per person.

There is a considerable difference between this, and the silver spoons I referred to in a previous topic relating to the sums of £10-£14k that were being discussed.
snow conditions
aldoyle, Your observations on helmets seem to mirror your observations on having your own boots. i.e. "I don't own them therefore you don't need them" And if I remember correctly (I havn't revisited the subject) Your experience of hiring boots (where you always maintaned that they were perfect) always started with a couple of days discomfort. 40% of your skiing holiday with bad feet! Bright.

I would no more listen to you regarding ski gear than I would to Jeremy Clarkson regarding male grooming.
snow report
aldoyle, you've got a bit of a track record with spouting what appears to be to many readers a load of rubbish based on your perceptions e.g. IIRC bought and fitted boots won't be better than the ones you've been hiring but then keep falling back on your vast skiing cv to "prove" this. I don't let it worry me too much - there are many posters whose views I take with a very large pinch of salt but given that you seem determined to pick fights then I'd suggest you look for someone a bit less secure in their position than stoatsbrother.

I'm not sure what you mean by "snobbery of helmet-lovers", I think its fairly reasonble to say that in some places helmets are becoming the norm for some types of skier but everyone's allowed to make up their own mind.
snow conditions
Silly young know-all. Zzzzz.
latest report
Get a lid, they're cool now unless you some sort of inverted snob. I washed out on ice about three years ago, the swede made heavy contact, I saw stars. My daughter, 15 at the time suddenly had a fear of being on a remote piste, late in the afternoon with a unconcious Dad. She insisted I get a helmet. I did. Madeye-Smiley I see no argument for not wearing a lid.
ski holidays
aldoyle, I think others have summed up nicely what you talk pants about. Not just limited to helmets... Wink

And it was fun seeing someone talking about silver spoons being responsible for some people doing a season - when they had obviously only had to pay their own way for 25% of their skiing years so far... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Quote:
Personal choice for everyone, If you think you want one adn need one wear one, if you dont dont its up to you
- for adults - I would agree entirely
snow report
flangesax, Oh deepest joy...I should have known better than to click on that link at work....lol

Now having worked out that winter studded helmets are legal, can anyone tell me where to find a good "helmet fitter" or should I take it that i would be better with a well used sweaty rental one?
snow report
jzBun, I have never stated that rental boots have been perfect, they have simply done the job.
fatbob, I have at no point wanted to 'pick fights' with anyone, and the snobbery I mentioned is becoming all too apparent by the replies of you folk.

I apologise for getting your backs up.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy