Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt: Advice needed for newbie

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
First time to Zermatt in mid-January and I am very excited. There will be four of us, my husband and me (60-something advanced intermediate skiiers), 24 year old daughter (expert skiier), and 40 year old son (expert snowboarder). We have decided to splurge and stay at Riffelalp.

Now we need help planning 6 days on the slopes, including lunches. I gather we need to plan ahead and reserve for lunch at some of the best mountain restaurants. We really want to ski everywhere, including at least one day in Italy. Also we will probably eat evening meals up at the hotel (in fact my husband and I prefer light meals in the evening) but will want to take the little train from Riffelalp into town for some apres ski or late night action. I would love to hear from from you all about your favorite sights and watering holes.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I will be heading out there for the whole season, so I will be more than happy to help you with this, once I know my stuff about the resort. Very Happy Lets just keep our fingers crosses that it keeps snowing hey!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
On the hill for lunch - Chez Vrony, Zum See, Findlerhof
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kathyborn, I've said this many times on here, but you must try the Zum See restaurant, it's just off the run down from Furi to Zermatt. It's a restaurant set in a farm yard in the Zum See area of Zermatt. On a nice day you can sit at a table in the farm yard, which is actually much better than it sounds. Booking is essential but they do go out of their way to accommodate.

Last time I was there we phoned for a table in the morning but none were available. They did, however, ask me to ring back later, when they did say if we could get there early i.e noon we could get a table. Well worth the effort.

There is an even better treat in store, if you are up to it. Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Pop in on your way back to Zermatt for a bit of Apres, I'm assuming you can get back to your hotel on the train after the slopes close, and sample the pastries. Specifically the Mille Feuille is to die for. They bring it out on long planks of wood from the kitchen and slice it up. Heaven. Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley

Sorry for all the Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley , but in nearly 30 years of skiing, I haven't found a better restaurant. The owners are also very welcoming. Cool

Chez Vrony in the Findeln is area also recommended but will be much busier than the Zum See because it is also a much bigger retaurant with magnificent view of the Matterhorn.

I would suggest you don't get the international ski pass if you are only planning a day in Cervinia, as you can get a daily upgrade very easily.

Enjoy, you won't regret the visit.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chez Vrony in Zermatt. I was chatting with Vrony on Sunday and she was very excited about her new range of clothing. In Cervinia, Chalet Etoile, no competition.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Aaarrrgghhh, I'm hungry!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Steve Sparks, Is the Chalet Etoile the one you have to cross a little bridge to get to ? If so I agree.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
geepee, Yes, on the far north side of Cervinia right under the Matterhorn. I have some very happy memories of lunch there.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Steve Sparks, Only been there once on a day with the SCGB rep on a lovely sunny day. Superb Cool Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stoatsbrother wrote:
On the hill for lunch - Chez Vrony, Zum See, Findlerhof

Just googled the menu for Findlerhof, 23CHF £14 for a Rosti with egg and bacon, reassuringly expensive? Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looks like Chez Vrony, Zum See, Findlerhof, Chez Etoile are must-do's, even if hard on the wallet. So I'll look at the ski map and arrange our days around those spots.

I guess I should ask ahead for the folks at Riffelalp to make some reservations a week or so in advance. Anyone have a suggestion about which order to do these restaurants in? Our first day we probably won't want to venture into Italy for instance. I am one of those skiiers who like to take a day or two to get up to get used to a ski area. (read that to mean a little over-cautious at first).

Besides the apres ski Mille Feuille at Zum See are there any spots in town that have nice pastries or jelly rolls etc.

Last question: my son and daughter may be interested in some "people watching" apres ski. Best spots?

Last winter we skiied at Whistler with little grandchildren. So this trip to Zermatt with all adults will be quite different in all kinds of ways, geography no the least of them. I am so psyched!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kathyborn,
Quote:

Last question: my son and daughter may be interested in some "people watching" apres ski. Best spots?

Papperla, the other side of the bridge from the Church will provide some opportunity for them. Also Hennu Stall on the run back into town can be fairly lively. Quieter, but chic and quaint is Elsie's opposite the church. On the whole though Zermatt does not do the mega apres venues that you find in St Anton and Verbier etc.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy