Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soll Questions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just booked a week in an apartment in soll in jan 23. The apartment is in sonnbichl area and we are planning to drive. I cant wait!
Will I need a vignette to get there ? the route looks like it goes through Kufstein. What are the approach roads like? I see soll is low so guess there are n't many hairpins like on the way to alpd' huez.
I am looking into to purchase some winter tyres and chains just in case of bad weather.
Once there we plan to use the ski garage to store our skis overnight but also plan to take advantage of some night skiing, is the garage open late to night skiers?
Any other tips ?like the best Evening restaurants and mountain ones too are very welcome, as well as best runs and areas to go or avoid

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 4-12-09 19:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
the drive is easy-peasy. The road up from Kufstein to Soll is a busy main road, gentle ascents and lots of traffic to follow / show you the way. Pretty too. If it snows they clear it pronto. Of course snow tyres are mandatory in austria in winter. As far as I know that road is shut about once in a blue moon - next to never - and there are none of the 1/3 gradients and hairpin bends you get in high altitude resorts.

However, you will see lots of 'D' plated beemers and mercs 1" off your rear bumper piloted by enormous bavarians but it's OK they have made it legal to shoot them now in the Tirol.

Dorfstubbe is a quaint little gaff in Soll Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Of course snow tyres are mandatory in austria in winter

red 27, grey area but most of what I've seen suggests that mandatory is aimed at residents. Tourists (theoretically) get away with it and most drivers from UK, Holland, Belgium etc etc are using summer tyres - the exception and the grey area is what happens in the case of an accident as the wrong tyres might make you liable.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
daveqpr, Easy drive from Kufstein-Süd following the crowds on BS 173 and no, you will not need a Vignette. Even if you did, it is only 7.70 Euros for 10 days and you can pick one up at any of the service areas between Munich and the border - a better idea than waiting until the border at Keifersfelden. If you do buy one, you can drive further along the autobahn and turn off at Wörgl and have a much easier drive up to Söll via the faster Bundesstrasse 178 with way less traffic as the crowds all turn off at Kufstein to avoid the toll. I've saved over an hour of crawling time using that trick both coming AND going from the Ski Welt area.

As for the tyre situation, I've just received my ADAC magazine and they say it is not law BUT the police can stop you and fine you if they feel you are a danger to traffic. They often do checks shortly before tricky sections of busy roads. The fines go FROM 35 Euros. The compulsory time for locals to have winter tyres on their cars is 1st November to 15th April. Having said that to date I have never had a problem on the road up from Kufstein to Söll being covered in snow and therefore essential to have to chains on. They work non-stop to keep it clear.

There a couple of steepish curves on the climb up from Kufstein to the junction with the Wörgl - St Johann in Tirol (Bundestrasse 178), these are a problem if you are crawling along in traffic, winter tyres or not, when it is frozen. The Gendarmerie usually set up the checks in the flattish area after the first of these, on the principle that they watch you struggle up the first one and turn you round before you cause any problems! They will also turn you back if you do not have chains in your car. I've had mine in my car for 5 winters now and still have not opened the box (I noticed that the cable binder seal is still in place - so need to cut that today as I'm off to Sölden in a couple of hours and its snowing outside.

Hope that helps!

Bode Swiller, Red 27, the police do not need to wait for an accident to stop you and cause you problems re the snow tyres!

Red 27 A lot of us in those D reg cars get pis*ed off with tourists driving up our @rses with summer tyres on and thinking they can shove us out of the way - mostly Dutch and Brits in my experience - Flatlanders such as you lot usually end up in trouble when it all goes pear-shaped! Be careful as they are checking the distance between cars on the autobahns and there are a heck of a lot of unmarked police cars on the prowl! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Samerberg Sue, thanks for all the useful info. We are heading to Going on 19th and you have managed to answer all the questions I was preparing to ask! Whats the weather looking like that way? Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Samerberg Sue, thanks for all the useful info. We are heading to Going on 19th and you have managed to answer all the questions I was preparing to ask! Whats the weather looking like that way? Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
make sure you use the garage under the gondola and not the one further down the hill. Really spacious and comfortable. Not sure how it would work for the night skiing tho - email them http://www.sport-edinger.at/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
many thanks for your answers so far! We will take note of all the info so far and any more replies to the initial questions will be gratefully received especially with regards to the night skiing
We are planning to leave london late on the Thursday night, 21-01 and get a late ferry. The route is yet undecided but would rather drive through Belgium , Luxembourg (for a fuel stop!) into the Germany and then Austria. I think if we drive all day Friday we can get very close to Soll for Friday evening so a heads up on a good place to stopover would be good as well. We hope to be able to get some extra skiing in on the Saturday as a bonus for the long drive.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
daveqpr, QPR? Never mind.

Anyway, I suggest forgetting the idea of going via Luxembourg as it's actually out of your way and the fuel price saving isn't going to make a whole heap of difference (plus the route is via France and you'd end up paying a toll or two). I head up towards Ostend and hit the main drag towards Brussels. There are loads of good places to stay just off the Brussels ring road by the airport (most have secure parking and that's quite important with a car full of stuff that you might not feel like unloading). Assume 2-2.5 hours from Calais with a clear run at night. You might want to consider a slightly earlier start so you get the full night's kip. Then in the morning it goes Liege, aachen, Cologn, Koblenz, Frankfurt, Wurzburg, Nurnberg, Munich, Kufstein, Soll. There is another route down via Bonn, Karlsruhe, Stuttgart but much of a muchness. I just prefer the way I go. If you need a night near Soll prior to taking up your accommo try seeing if the place you're staying has the room free... low season.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
QPR? Yes! The richest club in the world!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
daveqpr, 99% sure Edingers is open for night skiing. The drive up from Kufstein is normally fine but it could be a problem in heavy snow, but thats what the chains are for. You will soon know when to put them on. Regarding restaurants Soller Stubben (AKA Harry's) Feldwebel, Pizza Giovanni, Postwirt and the new one above the Sport's bar. On the mountain in the Soll bowl Grundlalm (cheap) Stocklalm (spit roast chicken) also has table service side which is very good.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy