Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pralognan La Vanoise

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone give me some feedback on Pralognan La Vanoise ? Skiing, village, potential etc etc. Keep hearing thats its the next" Chamonix!" don't know how much truth there is to that ! Any info much appreciated. Thanks

Rgds

Rich
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rich, reckon you've seen the same email I have. Looks a bit low to me - max alt 2300, next Chamonix????? Also if you google it you don't get a lot. Not sure it's worth the risk.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good question. It stretches my imagination if it is the next Chamonix.

To start with Pralognan La Vanoise is in Tarentaise. It can be reached by the road leading to Courchevel off Moutier. Instead of turning right going up to St Bon one goes straight into Bozel leading to Champagnay en Vanoise and then Pralognan La Vanoise. Pralognan is the last civilisation of the dead end of that road. There is a small mountain road beyond Pralognan, showed on both Michelin road map and also the 1:25,000 scale Les Trois Vallees map, leading to the bottom of Petit Mont Blanc with a summit of 2677m above sea level.

If Pralognan is termed as the next Chamonix then it is a poor man's version because the real Mont Blanc is the highest summit in the Apls at 4807m. The 2130m difference is a lot to catch up as it can swallow up the highest mountain in UK.

After checking the 3 Vallees and Paradiski piste maps I can confirm Pralognan is in neither map. Therefore Pralognan has to operate independent of the 3 Vallees and Paradiski. From the look of its piste map it is small by the Tarentaise standard. It also charges less than 20 Euro for a day pass comparing with 31 Euro for La Rosiere/La Thuile with 140km piste, 32 Euro for Valmorel with 152 km piste, 38 Euro for either Les Arc or La Plagnes each has over 200km piste and 41 Euro for 3 Vallees with 600km piste.

Many local small resorts in France are enjoyable for skiing holidays and I don't doubt this is one of it. However having a summit called Petiti Mont Blanc is not enough to become the next Chamonix. Apart from being the highest in the Alps Chamonix is about 20 miles from Switzerland and 10 miles from Italy. It is a gateway to cover three countries skiing experience and cannot be compared with being stuck at the dead end of a road where most visitors are channelled into the 3 Vallees. However being deep in the valley the snow will be good and far from the madding crowd would ensure a nice and relax skiing hoilday.

Sorry if there is more cold than warm water pouring over the shoulder but there must be a limit the French can offer for a 20 Euro in a day's skiing.

Let's hope other snowheads can put some sparks into this resort which I have assessed only from the facts as I haven't ventured into it myself. I could visit it next time I am in Tarentaise as I thought I have only left out Ste Foy unvisited.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have stayed there.

I was at the PTT lodge. The lodge was memorable for having draught wine. We were on all-inclusive deal

The skiing itself is not extensive.

There is a bus that connects to La Plagne but we had cars too. So I mostly skied La Plagne after the first day at Pralognan.

Town is a lovely little place and the area is in some sort of protected National Forest area.

Buses connect to the train station for Eurostar travellers.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Haven't skied there, but as well as La Plagne, you could also ski Courchevel if you have a car.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It's a nice little village, but limited skiing. It's quite a long drive to Courchevel from Pralognan, down to Bozel then back up to Courchevel 1300 before you hit the first ski lift.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Latchigo,

Presumably the sensible way to ski La Plagnes from Pralognan is drive the car to Champagnay?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
saikee wrote:
Latchigo,

Presumably the sensible way to ski La Plagnes from Pralognan is drive the car to Champagnay?

Yes and that is where the bus from Pralognan ends up too.

I think any references/comparisons between Pralognan & Chamonix were somebody having a laugh.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy