Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I find that people look incredibly ugly in ski helmets

Poster: A snowHead
I'm talking about beautiful people, not ugly people.

They put these grey opaque plastic goldfish bowls on their heads and then they all look the same. Half the time you can't even make out if they're male or female, or something in-between.

People used to look really nice in knitted woolly ski hats, with a generous bobble on the top. It added to the festive enjoyment of joining a group of people on the slopes. People could express their characters with their headwear, instead of cloning themselves into legoHeads.

Call me old-fashioned, but I know what I like. I don't want to ski around with a bunch of robo-cops who should be on building sites.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 2-12-09 12:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Perhaps that's why Natasha Richardson didn't wear one.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I thought we hadn't had a helmet thread for a bit Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Half the time you can't even make out if they're male or female, or something in-between.

Adds to the excitement when chatting them up though Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bobbles are strictly pre-school. They only work with a pair of mittens on a bit of elastic going through the back of your jacket.

I suppose you have a dayglo eisbar hat, and a ceerraaaazy fleecy jester one as well?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cunners, I agree, bobbles are out.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is true that I have never pulled while wearing my ski helmet
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
But has The Abominable snowHead, ever pulled while wearing his bobble hat?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A few decades ago I tried skiing wearing an old, red bobble hat from when I was younger. A girl said "That hat has a wally factor of 15, and the scale only goes to 10." I haven't worn it since. Embarassed
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Abominable snowHead wrote:
They put these grey opaque plastic goldfish bowls on their heads and then they all look the same.

Which is why lots of famous people can ski incognito. Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ignite do D3O beanies http://www.ignitebeanies.com/

its a flash site so no direct link. Just select AW08/09 products then D30.

Boardshop do them for about 35 quid ... http://www.boardshop.co.uk/brands/ignite.asp

There is even nice bobble versions ...

Now there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for not protecting your noggin!

as for another helmet thread, let me get comfy

Tux
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The other thing about bobble hats is that people are lulled into a false sense of warmth by them. You see these idiots out on the pistes in nothing but their boots, scuddies and a hat, acting like it's going to project some giant warmth forcefield that will stop their cods freezing off. Have you seen the figures for people getting frost bitten fingers in ski resorts whilst wearing hats? It's damn near 100%. False sense of security! Conspiriacy! 2 shillings and six etc
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm talking about beautiful people, not ugly people.

I'll just amend that, slightly. Ugly people certainly look even uglier in ski helmets. They might think it's a form of plastic surgery, but unfortunately it isn't.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Abominable snowHead,?????knitted wooly ski hats.....wait for it..........WITH BOBBLES???????........... twoot twoot...............gaper alert gaper alert...................i bet you wear spyder gear too dont you?..............

okbye
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
To be a goldfish you need a goldfish bowl on your head
ski holidays
Quote:

Half the time you can't even make out if they're male or female, or something in-between.

Unless you're intent on copulation, does it matter?
Quote:

has The Abominable snowHead, ever pulled while wearing his bobble hat?

Shimmy Alcott, Laughing

In fact, what he's saying, is not that people look ugly, but that you can't tell whether they're ugly or beautiful. Sounds ideal.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

In fact, what he's saying, is not that people look ugly, but that you can't tell whether they're ugly or beautiful. Sounds ideal.

Yeah, no need for beer goggles, hence less alcohol intake, hence fewer accidents on the slope...see, another safety benefit of helmets Laughing
snow report
I agree. It's best to make purchase decisions on the basis of people you've heard of.
I bought a George Foreman grill because I'd heard of George Foreman.
ski holidays
The Abominable snowHead, Laughing
latest report
snowball wrote:
A few decades ago I tried skiing wearing an old, red bobble hat from when I was younger. A girl said "That hat has a wally factor of 15, and the scale only goes to 10." I haven't worn it since. Embarassed

I have got a quite literally amazing red bobble hat. My wally factor is even higher.
snow report
I agree.

I was agreeing with a posting which has now vanished. All part of the madness, but it makes me look like a total idiot.
ski holidays
The Abominable snowHead[/b], I saw it

"so stupid buying a helmet because an actress I'd never even heard of died while not wearing one"

(there now you can post your George Foreman gag again and it will all make sense)[/b]
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, thanks for that, but I hasten to add that I certainly wouldn't buy a George Foreman ski helmet.
ski holidays
What about a Natasha Richardson Grill?
latest report
No to bobbles...yes to hats...Helmets definately have a place (i think you have to make an educated decission about when is wise to use one)
snow report
I must admit I'm not a huge fan of the bobble hat look, somehow the cool thing that skiing is doesn't seem reflected in the average woolly hat. Now a really cool looking helmet (somethng I still aspire to own) with trendy goggles or sunnies and I think you are onto something.

N.B. It's something I've never seen in a SH raffle - why don't we get offers of helmets donated as prizes? They are a nice medium value item of ski kit
latest report
snow report
I find that I am am to discern whether a person is beautiful or not by looking at their face. Strange but true.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does the bobble serve any purpose?
ski holidays
DB wrote:

Sensor for an anemometer? Attached to a 30m cord concealed withing the helmet and releasable in case of avy? Could be anything
latest report
I made a bobble recently, using little circles of cardboard, like you used to do in primary school, to sew onto a hat of ours that didn't have one.

That's how much I dig bobbles.

This is actually true.
snow report
I like my bobble hat although I usually prefer not to wear a hat skiing as I get too hot. Never worn a helmet and don't intend to.
snow conditions
In the end though, the bobble I made was far too tightly-wound, and really heavy, so we didn't use it Sad
latest report
DB wrote:

Yes, it makes that thing (that I wouldn't want to be seen dead in, inside a nuclear bunker) look slightly human.

I think you'd look fantastic in it, DB
snow conditions
In all fairness, ski clothing in general is not really the most flattering, but does cover a multitude of sins. Who actually pulls on the piste anyway?
snow report
paulio, for goodness' sake! Your're not going to give up after just one attempt, are you? That's not the attitude that built the Empire.
snow report
The Abominable snowHead,

In the appearance stakes I don't lose out anything by wearing a helmet as I look ugly without the helmet anyway.
ski holidays
I wear a crash helmet on courses or when free skiing.

Few months ago in Hinterux, took a spill and bam.
For those it's not happened to - you are cruising along and then you know your going to fall. Almost instantly, you hear the aftermath of a bell ring. Imagine putting your head in a large bell and someone hitting it. You don't hear to actually impact (of the hammer on the bell) but rather the tone that comes just after this. So what you hear is a sort loud clanging sound that just goes on and on.

If you’re not wearing a helmet though, don't worry though as most people won't need to describe the sound to someone else, as it will normally be the last thing you hear. I was lucky, only I did the unconscious cart wheeling down the hill then bouncing then more cartwheels. Until I woke up somewhere downwards. Woke up as I was wearing a helmet – only a few MRI scans later, on ripped out tendons in shoulder, and hey presto back on the slopes for me.

Top Tip - wear a helmet.
latest report
Yeah, that's all well and good but you haven't addressed the crucial bobble issue.
latest report
I find that people look incredibly ugly in ski helmets

Considering I'm skiing for my own fun and pleasure, I really don't give a sh*** what you think about me and my appearance. Wink

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 2-12-09 14:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy