Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Frequently asked questions

Poster: A snowHead
As I read through some of the items on here, I realized that there are many questions that are asked pretty frequently, but may be difficult to find as a result of some difficulty in searching for it. As a result, I am soliciting your input for specific Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) that we could post at the top of this forum for folks to find answers.

If you are interested in helping supply the answers, please let me know (I'll be asking some of you directly, too!).

I'll start:

1) How do I adjust my bindings?
2) How long should my skis really be?
3) Should I purchase or rent equipment?
4) What should I purchase first?
5) What kind of clothing should I wear?

With that start, please contribute!

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ehh am i stoneblind or is there no search button here ?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
janneman, the search button is under "user facilities", the bottom left button on the picture above.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
the search button is under "user facilities", the bottom left button on the picture above.

But not it doesn't work in some browsers. E.g. Opera. Try the following URL instead: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/search.php
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Opera user here and I see it between FAQ and memberlist underneath the SnowHeads.com logo.
User Facilities seems to come and go as it pleases, at the moment it's AWOL.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FenlandSkier, You're using the same setting as me. better think than the drop-down, for anyone interested just change your profile to view the site as sub-black (The profile button is also in the drop-down menu)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ssh, we seem to get many queries on boot fitting. Edit - sorry forgot to welcome our new user janneman from Holland.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 21-02-05 8:50; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Other questions that occur regularly:

weekend skiing - resorts close to ... (Geneva, Zurich, Turin ...)
Snowtrain to the slopes
Exercising before skiing

A significant area where people should be asking questions is how to write a limerick.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FenlandSkier, The menu dropdown works find for me, but if I click on "Search" nothing happends. But just tried it again, and I find that it *does* work if I click on the icon instead - wierd!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Waxing Skis
Storing skis
Different types of skis for different conditions
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ssh, How about that old favourite "which goggle lens colour (or 'color' for you Steve) is best?"

My choices, IMHO, are:

Oakley Fire Iridiums for bright light. The black iridium being a bit too dark, causing a lack of contrast/definition which can get a bit hairy when you speed through a shaded area & suddenly can't see the contours.

And for low light their Hi Blue Iridium lens, which is actually yellow, way better than persimmon - it's like somebody turned the light on!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RobW, are you using Firefox?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No, Opera 7.6 on Win NT/2000/XP (depending on which PC I'm using).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How did this turn into a thread on the Search button? A guy goes away for a few days of laying down tracks in Colorado's finest, and his thread goes haywire!

Thanks for those that have contributed! Keep your thoughts coming. What questions do people most often ask regarding equipment?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Width / Length
Stiffness
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, *ski* equipment - sheesh!!
latest report
lbt, oh, ok.

Width/Length
Stiffness

OF SKIS
snow report
lbt, I was wondering who would take the bait... rolling eyes
latest report
ssh, where to buy crops up a bit (as in station, valley, home, etc).
ski holidays
hey, at least I didn't mention the search button Very Happy

I think the 'kind of clothing' could actually be expanded quite a bit - layers, GoreTex vs GoreTex XCR, Arcteryx vs Spyder, Helmets etc etc etc
But it gets out of date.... so...

To get a bit 'techy' - I think a wiki would be a good idea.

I think it's a more useful way to provide constantly requested info than a forum (where the regulars say "Oh no - not again" and the newbies are forced to wade through the corresponding inane drivel (eg this post) to find what they want to know.)
It needs an active community - which we have.
Also, I think Epic could do with a wiki too (more for technical stuff though) - maybe that's something to share?

I run www.mythtv.info (for now) so I know a bit about them.
It also means we can all share keeping it up to date and expanding it.

admin - what do you think?

PS I volunteer to help get it going and help monitor it - even installing stuff if that's helpful.
snow conditions
lbt, I love wikis. Let's see what admin says...
latest report
Aha, now we actually have a wiki installation already... didn't expect that eh?

I'll need to look it up and probably do a bit of 'styling' when I get a chance but it would seem to be ideal for this application.

So, the way I read it here, ssh lbt, are up for co-ordinating getting this going.
Anyone else got the skills or interest to take on a 'central' role? Speak up.
latest report
A wiki would be a highly suitable way of organising the resort reports, n'est pas? In which case I'm happy to coordinate that bit should it fit into the overall scheme - or does that count as hijacking? Technically I'm not up to managing the backend (oo-errr!)

Am I right in thinking that the general principle of a wiki is that anyone can edit, but it has comprehensive roll back facility to reduce the impact of vandalism?

Is styling something that can be done retrospectively? Is the structure ad hoc or do we need to design that?

Ooops, I've dropped into endless question mode - better go dig in the garden.
snow report
I think ssh's FAQ thread is a too good a one to hijack - so I've started a wiki thread in Suggestions / Requests... see you all there - and Ian, I'll answer there too.
latest report
FWIW I started a FAQ based on the newsgroup which is here:

http://gregh.co.uk/html/rsrefaq.htm
ski holidays
Feel free to shout at me if I've missed something here and it's my turn for the thickie batton, but I was just wondering why this thread is a sticky. Suggests it actually has answers to FAQs and not just a discussion about setting up an FAQs thread!
snow report
Dave Burt, fair question. I think this was a summer project for ssh which has died. He (or she?) hasn't been seen on the site for months. Pity. A missing mod to boot.
snow report
Well, the wiki is still around - I've had a lot less free time recently so I've not done much with it...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We've sort of announced the wiki here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=428642#428642
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy