Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lake District

Poster: A snowHead
The new season has kicked off early again this year and what better way to start than with this inspirational video from Gordie, one of the mad keen Lakeland lot, taken over the Dodds on Saturday. Its got snow, skiing, great music, cool commentary, dogs....wild ...running dogs, sunsets...everything really including some rather surprised hill walkers at 3:53 Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/CBWRH35Syfo

Brilliant stuff.

Looks like the Lakes and Pennines have had a decent dump tonight. Still snowing here in North Yorkshire. Could be some good build up on Raise and high up in the Pennines by Friday.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is Lionel from the Winterhighland forum. That's a cracking video with a great soundtrack as usual. It looks like you had great fun for your first slide of the season. Well done. Greetings from the Alps,
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Lionel, not mine its from Gordie via winterhighland.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great effort, if not a bit mad!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like Gordie was carrying both a kite and a paraglider, hell of a lot of kit to lug up the fell. Looks like a good day out, even if the snow was a little patchy.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Amazing. What a great choice of music.
I want another dog... Sad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gordie's done it again. This is truly inspirational Shocked

Enjoy this while we wait to see whether this cold snap will deliver anymore local skiing before Christmas.

Lake District Ski Club, Raise ski area 4/12/2009 from gordie
http://vimeo.com/7990838
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
just loved the end bit when a. he clears the two walkers b. he lands. Excellent stuff Cool Cool
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Peter S, that made my day
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
how the hell is he skiing on bare grass and brachen???
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Superb, grass skiing, love it Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peter S, Cracking video - I'd love to see the state of his ski bases - just out of interest. I bet their pretty knackered.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just got back from what was a thrilling day in the lakes, and im shattered!!! Woke up at 6am in Manchester to see the place covered in a blanket of the fluffy white stuff, dropped the missus off at work, picked up my mate and headed north, too the Lake District - A journey that would normally take me 1 hour to get there. Not today, The M6 was down to 1 lane, several vehicles implanted in the central reservation and down the embankment, lorrys stopped in the middle of the motorway, but we chugged on through until we got to the turn off for the lakes. There was around 6-8 inches of snow and the place looked stunning, no grass poking through, just white in every direction. The plan was to drive past Windermere town, then turn up the Kirkstone Pass, head to the tummit and do a 4 hour fell walk. As we Turned up the Kirkstone pass from the roundabout i just knew we wouldnt get very far, and before long we both realised that we couldnt go on. Parked the car up, outside a lovely little pub (the bar is made from a 4 poster bed in anyone knows the name) and headed for the summit. From here it was a 3 mile walk up, and 3 back down, with the obvious stop at the 3rd highest pub in England! We walked and walked and walked up the very steep path until we came alongside "the struggle" had a quick butty and a drink and set off agan for the summit (1500ft above sea level) and continued until we got there. Then we could see it, the pub, our shelter and the only building for miles. As we approached the door i was aware of an a4 piece of paper stuck to it. This was not looking good, and the notice read "pub closed due to the water supply being frozen, sorry" I was gutted, cold and exhausted. Then the weather changed. Grey, snow and windy had been the order of the day so far. But as we set off back down the clouds parted, the wind dropped and out came the sunshine. Everything in every direction was glistening, shimmering and sparkling, it was a frozen, deserted and most piecefull place ever. Nothing could be heard and i have never experienced silence like it. At the top there must have been 10-12 inches in places. So we continued down back to the car and went for a well earned beer in the pub where we had parked. Great day and loved every minute of it. If anyone is wondering about skiing up there in the next few days then i am sure you are in for a cracker. Raise must be looking stunning at the moment and with cold temps the snow will hopefully stay. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice report. Nothing beats the silence of a snow covered hill. I especially love the forest when its covered in snow. Something so pure about the clean snow and the silence. Im glad winter is here Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cheers, i was going to go on but i thought people would get vored. took some great photos, how do you upload tham onto the site???
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder, the pub sounds like the Queens Head in Troutbeck. Good food, lodgings and beer too.
ski holidays
Mosha Marc wrote:
Ricklovesthepowder, the pub sounds like the Queens Head in Troutbeck. Good food, lodgings and beer too.

thats the one, had to stop driving at that point and walk the 3.1 miles (400m vertical to get to the top of kirkstone pass) to find the pub shut, was not a good moment!!!
ski holidays
Presidents and Savages look loaded. Half a metre of overall coverage is being reported, including the walk in Shocked

http://www.flickr.com/photos/raise_up_dated_pics/

Kirkstone Pass is only doable by 4 wheel drive only at the moment with lots of crashed vehicles everywhere apparently !

The tow will run today however and almost certainly tomorrow.

Have fun if you're heading up there.
ski holidays
kirkstone was actually closed from the north side yesterday and i would advise anyone (as i walked to the very top yesterday) not to attempt to get up there unless you have a 4x4, and chains. its is very icy and dangerous. I can believe the 50cm depth reported, just wish i could head up there!!! what is raise opening times dates over christmas and new year???
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, you need to upload them to somewhere like flickr and then copy the image location to here between [img][/img] simple!

May head up to the slope tomorrow if there is that much snow! Just need a buddy, anyone game? Hoping to hitch to the top as i have no chains. So if you see some dude in purple pants waving. Pick him up. Ill get you a beer!
snow conditions
looks like dump city over at Raise today. Happy times Laughing

http://www.flickr.com/photos/raise_up_dated_pics/
snow report
i have just got back from the lake district 20 mins ago after going to help a friend get his casr out of a very iced up forest track (very interesting 6 hours) at Shap there is well over 12 inches of powder snow and it looked like a postcard scene, beautifull. if anyone is heading up to the lakes or pennine resorts tomorrow you are sure to be in for a cracking day, take chains as you will need them!!!
latest report
Blue sky day over the northern lakes at the moment, should be good at Raise (if you can get there), shame I've got work to do.
snow report
Still plenty of skiing at Raise.

Here is a link to a regional programme which contains quite a good article about skiing at Raise. Its the second item after the potholes !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00q2mx8/Inside_Out_North_East_and_Cumbria_18_01_2010/?t=11m09s

Its a typical frustrating day of attempted skiing in England snowHead
snow report
A fine film. Really enjoyed that, Peter!
latest report
Brilliant. Thank you
snow report
Peter S, Thanks very much for the link. Looked superb.
ski holidays
Peter S, Sadly I couldn't watch it 'cos BBC iPlayer isn't allowed to us foreign types. Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, I can try downloading a version that runs in Windows Media player for you if you like? It's 198MB. Not sure how it will work if it's run on a different computer than the one you use to download it but might be worth trying
ski holidays
nbt, you could use iplayer downloader to grab the h264 version? That should be WMP-compatible and run without problem on another PC. Can't do it myself as I'm currently abroad and on either a corporate or a hotel network.
snow report
Sideshow_Bob, the options I get are
o Portable devices download 121MB
o Windows Media Player download 198MB

Have downloaded the WMP version and can send it via some service or another - anyeon who wants a copy, PM me
ski holidays
nbt, most probably won't work as there's WMP DRM involved, both for portable and WMP.

I was talking about using http://po-ru.com/projects/iplayer-downloader/ which rips the non-DRM'd h264 stream. I use it to download iplayer videos to sync to my iPhone so I can watch them while out of 3G/Wifi range (ie on the tube) but they play equally well on a PC.
snow conditions
Sideshow_Bob, vrrrrrrrmmmmmm

that was the sound of all that passing right over my head

I build websites for a living, but tat what you just said (wrote)? not a clue.

anyway, if anywone *really* wants a version, say so. I'll try.Tomrrow, when I'm sober, not just bak fro the pub quiz
ski holidays
If you can't get the BBC film, there's a good short on Raise on Youtube, from last year.

http://youtube.com/v/-oXgGDwcRYA
snow report
Awesome conditions this weekend according to Ski Dreamer over on winterhighland.

I see they've set up the portable tow which extends the run another couple of hundred metres below the engine hut and allows for powder skiing on the west face of Raise Shocked

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,2024

Is there any UK ski area that isn't brilliant right now Laughing
snow conditions
Peter S, The English ski resorts must've had 2 or 3 months of continuous skiing now, right?
latest report
Whitegold

Yep - Weardale had a brief closure a few weeks back, but (I think) Yad Moss has been operational every weekend since mid- December!

Weardale website a day or two ago was saying that they've had 37 days of skiing so far!!
ski holidays
Yad Moss has been every weekend since the one before Christmas, weardale had a break of a couple of weekends. Harwood has been every weekend as well - same alt and about 2km from Yad Moss. Top honours go to Allenheads which might only have missed 2-3days since the weekend before christmas. If Teesdale ski club was still on the go they would have run every weekend as well - snow has been holding in the hut gully.
latest report
Another fabulous day today, though only my first of the season at Raise.
snowHead

pics and report here

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,2135
ski holidays
Peter S, how's Helvellyn filling in?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy