Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will i stand out too much?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm going skiing again soon and need a jacket.
I've found this jacket that im looking into buying: http://www.mandmdirect.com/ProdImg/NZ7_1_large.jpg

When I showed my friend who is also going skiing with me he said:
That's nice but no offence I dunno if you will pull it off
you gotta be pro to wear that sort of jacket.

Is this true? I don't want to look like an idiot, I can ski but I am not amazing.
Can I have some of your opinions.

Also I was thinking of salopettes, I'm looking into black, orange or green ones. Any thoughts?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That is positively tame by comparison to most of the stuff people are wearing in ski resorts at the moment.

Buy it if you like it. Your mate is an idiot. Or at least, is scared of being adventurous. Careful if they're a really good skier though, or you could end up in a series of macho bets about whether you're as adventurous as your jacket Smile

You won't look like an idiot, unless you've got bright pink trousers. And even then, black and white goes with everything.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sjedwards, Welcome to Snowheads.If you're under about 28 great, if you are older dodgy, if more than about 35 you would look a bit of a tw@t IMO Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Buy it.

Own it.

Standing out will make you a better skier.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sjedwards, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead Why does your friend think you need to be pro to wear that jacket? Are the rest of us meant to apologetically appear on the slopes wearing something really unobtrusive until we're told we're good enough to choose something that makes us feel good? Toofy Grin If you like it, feel comfortable wearing it and don't mind being looked at (because it is eye catching snowHead ) then I would buy it. As some other snowHeads on here have noticed, I am only an intermediate, but have (ahem Toofy Grin ) more than one ski jacket as I just like wearing things I find attractive and I'm not particularly bothered what anyone else thinks about them. Your friend sounds as though they wouldn't have the confidence to wear something that might draw attention to them, but what you wear is only a statement about your taste in clothes, not about your level of skiing ability.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks everybody, you've been a great help. Very Happy

Any thought on the colour of salopettes to go with the jacket? Little Angel
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sjedwards, I like the idea of green myself, but why stop at one pair? Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think that is a lovely jacket and should look really well on the slopes Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sjedwards,
Quote:

you gotta be pro to wear that sort of jacket.

Mmm. Think I'd have to be dead. Cool
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sjedwards, i saw a Russian wearing something similar in the three valleys he was over 30 and looked really good! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sjedwards wrote:

Any thought on the colour of salopettes to go with the jacket? :nice:

The palette opposite of your boots, duh.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agree with Monium, That is tame compared to some outfits you see. I have serial seasonairre mates who wear what can only be described as XXL jacket and pant combos that have been scrawled and vomitted over by someone with a foolish craving for flourescent paint!

I go for black gear as you can get out and focus on skiing year on year.

If its tech enough for your needs and a price you like, go for it. There'll always be the likes of my mates above to take the heat off your outfit or the eldery French couples in neon onezies (skiing beautifully I might add)!

I second green

Enjoy!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You will look like a snowboarder, that is all that needs to be said.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It looks more like a baggy trendy snowboard type jacket but more skiers are wearing that sort of thing now (personally, I'm not so keen on hugely baggy as it makes me look the size of a whale).

What I do find amusing is skiers with red jackets with little white bits on, those that look a bit like instructor jackets from a distance, but clearly cannot ski anything like an instructor. I think you really need to be a god(dess) on skis to pull that look off.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not so much a jacket more of an eye sore - also look at the wider picture, if you are suffering a bit of a hangover first thing in the morning putting that jacket on might just make you very queesy. Food for thought Going green
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
What I do find amusing is skiers with red jackets with little white bits on, those that look a bit like instructor jackets from a distance, but clearly cannot ski anything like an instructor.

no I think you will find they are instructors.

That jacket is tame, if I wore it people would think I'm turning sensible.
ski holidays
If you have to ask then you can't pull it off.
latest report
narc, agreed........albinomountainbadger, agreed...............

okbye
snow conditions
Does your friend think there is something technically difficult about wearing the jacket - eg you have to be a great skier to balance on your skis whilst wearing it? rolling eyes

I suspect your friend lives in awe of the beautiful people and wouldn't dare wear anything out of his own league! Buy the outfit you like - we all have different taste.
ski holidays
If you like it get it. If you worry about looking silly then perhaps you have answered your own question. As a newbie I of course have opted for nice shades of grey so that i do not stand out. Toofy Grin
latest report
I was once the proud owner of a couple of garish one piece suits - very fashionable in the late eighties to mid nineties. Looking back at old photos/videos all the matching headbands to go with the fluorescent pink's and yellows not to mention the mirror shades and droopy moustaches ...... I could go on, no fashions come and go but there was something a bit clown like in that look - now going back to that jacket all black and white. Something a bit clown like there also- my advice would avoid it at all costs. If you ever ski in resorts like Andermatt, Engelberg,Grimentz,Alagna etc you will find that the ski/mountaineer/freeride look is altogether far more cool. Get yourself something from Mountain Hardware, Mamuut,Mountain Equipment,Hagloffs etc and you can't go wrong. Leave the oversized jackets and pants suspended halfway down your back bottom to the snowboarders. Believe me they will look back in ten years time and think what was I on at the time to go around looking like that. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I think it looks fine - and there were loads of snowboarders in jackets like that on the glacier in Les Deux Alpes in June.
snow report
My new jacket is a fetching shade of purple with black fur bit on the hood. A bit of colour on piste is no bad thing in my opinion. One of my ski buddies has bright pink salopettes, very easy to follow her on a flat light day!
snow conditions
Jonny luv plums, I meant non-instructor people who wear similar-looking jackets. Red ski jackets should be limited to those that have the ability to match! Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

Buy it.

Own it.

Standing out will make you a better skier.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
I wear a red and white jacket but tbh I'm probably better than most of the ESF snowboard instructors. Just need some red pants so I can skip the lift queues. wink
ski holidays
snowbandit wrote:
Get yourself something from Mountain Hardware, Mamuut,Mountain Equipment,Hagloffs etc and you can't go wrong. Leave the oversized jackets and pants suspended halfway down your back bottom to the snowboarders.

^ this
ski holidays
Sjedwards, I like the jacket - go for it.

It looks a bit like a section of a photograph does when you blow it up really big on a photocopier = big pixels. Perhaps take a look at it from across the street first, in case it's Adolf or Osama - just to be safe wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Go for it, if you like it, buy it!

Your mate is a fool.

There are no unwritten rules about what you should wear dependant on skill level!

Again, your mate is a fool.
latest report
narc wrote:
You will look like a snowboarder, that is all that needs to be said.

Laughing
snow conditions
narc wrote:
snowbandit wrote:
Get yourself something from Mountain Hardware, Mamuut,Mountain Equipment,Hagloffs etc and you can't go wrong. Leave the oversized jackets and pants suspended halfway down your back bottom to the snowboarders.

^ this

If you're over 30.

If under and you don't care about what people think then buy it, if you do then don't. I'm not a fan on the all the kit but really sh*t people. I tend to run something a bit more understated and then people have lesser expectations of you (it's definitely true for some). But yeah it wouldn't stop me buying something if i liked it... but that maybe because no matter how cool my ski gear is, it will never be good enough to overshadow my immense skiing ability.
latest report
el nombre wrote:
narc wrote:
snowbandit wrote:

^ this

If you're over 30.

I guess people under 30 can't own high end skiwear then. I'd better sell my marmot shell quick....
ski holidays
Yep, my dad will have it, he's definitely over 30. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the kit. Just take a look next time your out how many younger people are wearing that stuff. Very few. Function over fashion is probably the way to go but it just doesn't work that way for a lot of young people.
ski holidays
I think your friend is holding you back. Get a new friend...
snow report
I'm 19 and wear a (green) Mountain Equipment shell. Technical clothing is where it's at!

I'm about to invest in some garish blue North Face pants. gonna look boss. woopwoop
latest report
Sjedwards, I like it Very Happy
snow conditions
Firstly, it's quite a cool looking jacket. I'd wear it if it felt good and did the job. And I'm well over 30 - over 50 in fact. No need to get a new mate. Just ignore the one you have in this matter. When all is said and done it just doesn't matter that much to anyone else what your clothing looks like.
snow report
It doesn't matter, why do you think other people will be looking at you and bothered about what you wear, get real.
snow report
Thanks for the feedback guys Very Happy
ski holidays
Everyone always becomes more "Swedish" as they ski more. Florescent pants etc are all just part of the evolution Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy