Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Re-drilling skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking at a few pair of second hand skis. Some have already been drilled at 305mm and some at 315mm. My boots are 327mm sole length. Would it be possible to redrill for the bindings to fit this size without compromising too much ski stregth etc.

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mullt001, the rule is three strikes & you're out meaning that they can be drilled a max of three times providing the old holes are properly plugged & sealed. Holes should be at least 10mm apart centre to centre but I prefer 10mm edge to edge. The additional holes you're planning sound far enough apart from the others to be ok. Redrilling does devalue the skis quite a bit so as long as you're getting a good deal you should be fine.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
what do you use to plug and seal spyderjon? and what do you use for a drillstop - the proper "ski bit" or something else?
cheers
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
barry, I use pucka plastic binding plugs that are tapped in & then chiseled off flush. Hole is first filled with a waterfproof & flexible wood glue to seal from water ingress (I use Evostick, the one in the blue bottle). The plugs are very tight so if the ski hasn't got a metal top sheet & has been drilled with a 3.6mm dia drill the plug isn't likely to go full depth so I drill out the holes with a 4.1mm dia binding drill before glueing/plugging so that the insert will go full depth.

Yes, binding drills have a shoulder/depth stop to give a 9mm depth (my choice) although some use a 9.5mm.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spyderjon you are the Man!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd suggest that you would be safer with the skis drilled at 305mm, no reason Cool
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I,ve drilled old skis a few times ( not the same ones repeatedly) I didnt want to spend the money on a pro, so I filled the old holes with a dowel and waterproof glue and drilled the new holes with a normal wood bit that i put in the old holes and marked the depth with insulating tape. .works fine if you have steady hands!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ya, i've used tape on the bit and also used a wine cork as a stop. works ok but always a bit anxious doing it!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy