Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

line prophet 100

Poster: A snowHead
So, any good? Look decent spec/price. Guess alternative would be mantras. Any thoughts?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On any forum.....excellent reviews . I`ve got the 90`s but only `cause I don`t need 100 underfoot. LP or Mantra, can`t go wrong with either.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My 90s have just come today, so won't be able to try them until Jan. I got mine for the same reason as susieski, and I thought they'd be better on piste due to being a little narrower.

They do indeed seem to have some rave reviews don't they!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mr.Si,

Yep, owners of the 100 rave about them. Good just about everywhere, extremely easy to turn in trees etc. The 90s are a bit stiffer and great for ice and crud (not that the 100`s aren`t) . Lots of testers preferred the 100 over the 90 but I swung for the 90`s . Like you i`ve yet to try them Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have stocklistormrider xls so am covered for stiff/ice/piste etc

I was thinking that the 100 wold be more complementary to the stocklis.

Thoughts on length? I'm 176 and 78kg and was thinking 179s mounted with a pair of freerides that I have. Tempted to go longer but think 179 would be better for occasional skinning.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Try a search on TGR. The majority of people there say there is barely any difference between the 90 and 100 so I would go with the 100. Although the conditions in the US are obviously different to our.

I nearly bought the Prophet 100 but got a good deal on some HS Freerides from kiwi1
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They're great. Really useable ski - one of my favourites. Lightweights can try the Prophet Flite but if you ski a Stockli then you'll find the 100 quite flexible by comparison. At 95 kg the 179 Prophet 100 worked well for me though I'd go a bit longer if buying.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The 100 is an amazing ski, amazing price and in my opinion skied better than the 90 on piste! make sure you get a marker griffon/jester on it tho! if the binding isn't wide and chunky you will struggle to get the power onto the edges! (we have them going out for a cracking price btw and in stock Happy )
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ohh and mantras are amazing but so tyring! very stiff and heavy! if your VERY FIT go for the mantras but the 100's are alot more friendly!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dansmith, you know that the screw width is the same on the Jester and normal bindings, just the plate is slightly wider? Which will make very little difference.

Very fit for Mantra? You need to eat more pies.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
parlor wrote:
dansmith, you know that the screw width is the same on the Jester and normal bindings, just the plate is slightly wider? Which will make very little difference.

Very fit for Mantra? You need to eat more pies.

Mainly saying so people don't wack on something like a salomon Z12 which plates can not take the abuse the wider skis give them, anything above 85 underfoot and a semi aggressive skier and the back plate that holds the heal piece will snap! yes the screw width is the same but the plate being wider does make a difference, also the markers with there lower swing weight with the sideways mounted springs (in my opinion) makes ski's feel better!

And trust me! I don't need to eat more! lol
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hang on, if the plate goes outboard of the screws (which are the same spacing as a narrow binding) then on a wider ski the binding plate is going to be exposed to far more leverage at the screw than a regular binding, forcing the plate/back/whatever into a far more severe v than a narrow binding plate would suffer. This being the case a wider binding is surely more likely to suffer failure in this mode, unless you move the screws out to the edges, which marker haven't done.

Anyway, this is immaterial as he's putting freerides on - yep, great ski. Has shape, busts crud, the 90 floats my fat backside nicely if I get the speed up. I'd certainly go for the 100 if I was going for a powder day ski and possibly the 100 regardless as an all rounder if i was buying with the benefit of hindsight. Length sounds about right, especially as you tour.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cunners wrote:
Hang on, if the plate goes outboard of the screws (which are the same spacing as a narrow binding) then on a wider ski the binding plate is going to be exposed to far more leverage at the screw than a regular binding, forcing the plate/back/whatever into a far more severe v than a narrow binding plate would suffer. This being the case a wider binding is surely more likely to suffer failure in this mode, unless you move the screws out to the edges, which marker haven't done.

Anyway, this is immaterial as he's putting freerides on - yep, great ski. Has shape, busts crud, the 90 floats my fat backside nicely if I get the speed up. I'd certainly go for the 100 if I was going for a powder day ski and possibly the 100 regardless as an all rounder if i was buying with the benefit of hindsight. Length sounds about right, especially as you tour.

The reason why the markers take the abuse is cos they are are much more solid binding, the plates are alot better made and at the end of the day the bindings are designed to be put on wider skis! other bindings that work on the same theory are the salomon STH (the baseplates are hugely re-inforced compared to its lighter weight brother) both these bindings are only designed to be put on skis around 80mm underfoot and wider! As for the leverage on the screws the bindings are designed for the job so I'm sure someone clever has thought of it!! Although I bet one of the reasons why the screws wern't put wider apart is to save money on making new jigs! lol

I've had to replace way too many parts on peoples light weight bindings for me to ever put them on a pair of my skis and just passing on my findings.

ahh freeride bindings, didn't read that bit.. I know alot of people were putting tourers on line blends also as they are a little ligher, not as solid a ski but if you are doing alot of walking then it maybe worth considering!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dansmith, now I'm really confused, in another thread you said you like to set your bindings at 10 because you don't like to be too close to the 'maximum', which I assume is 12. I've never seen a decent binding with a DIN < 14, unless you count the FKS Jr which went to 12. FYI the STH bindings, including the 16, suck and are pretty flimsy when compared to real bindings. And here you say that you only ski on proper bindings. What is your preferred binding?

The "wider base" Jester / Griffon / Duke / Barron & 'reinforced' STH range is marketing hype.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
parlor wrote:
dansmith, now I'm really confused, in another thread you said you like to set your bindings at 10 because you don't like to be too close to the 'maximum', which I assume is 12. I've never seen a decent binding with a DIN < 14, unless you count the FKS Jr which went to 12. FYI the STH bindings, including the 16, suck and are pretty flimsy when compared to real bindings. And here you say that you only ski on proper bindings. What is your preferred binding?

The "wider base" Jester / Griffon / Duke / Barron & 'reinforced' STH range is marketing hype.

Did you ever think that I have more than one set of skis? i've got sth 12's on one pair jesters on another, some old s914's on and some px14's. I do think some people see the din setting as a massive ego war, fair enough in some more extreme situations but for everyday skiing its just a death wish for your knees. I have a high din (unfortunately) cos I'm a big guy

Think what you will with marketing hype, I know what bindings I have had to replace less parts on since they have come around! As s for bindings like the STH 16 sucking as well as the jesters etc, you have some of the biggest names in skiing using them, and pretty sure they will be skiing harder/bigger/better than any of us can imagine.
snow conditions
dansmith, I didn't say the Jesters suck, just marketing hype, the binder itself is fine. I have my own opinion about the STH16, and I believe that most of the guys that are sending it on Sollys are still on 916 and / or 920s.
snow report
Have a look at the griffon plates...they flex prettty easy with the boot, so I would'nt exactly call them a burly binding! Shame really 'cos the rest of it is fine....hey Parlor Nina rides the WhiteDot/VIST 412 binding...pretty good really, all metal and solid as, but as you say everything under 14 DIN seems to be plastic shite...
ski holidays
the_doc, actually I forgot the lower DIN Vist range is pretty good. Merci.
latest report
I may be going off the original thread here but it seems some very knowledgable people on this one so advice please - what is the difference between 05/06 LP 100's and this years? Been offered these but wondering what the difference is and am I likely to make a mistake here?? I ski B5's at the moment and I suppose want to start getting off the track more, plus big brother has relocated to within 2 hours of Lake Tahoe so should get a few weeks in this year and for the next couple. Advice always appreciated and if I have nicked the thread apologies.
Flog
Dansmith - i bought the b5's from you when they came out, are they worth anything on a trade in with 09/10 LP's??
latest report
thanks for the input everyone
snow report
I couldn't comment on the 05/06 prophet 100 as I didn't think that it existed that long ago? I know this year and last year the ski remains unchanged apart from cosmetics and i think the 06/07 model was also the same!

Unfortunatly Bud we can't take any part ex's your best bet is ebay! and B5? as in metron? sorry long day and going blank! (just out of interest)
snow conditions
ATOMIC METRON B5 SKIS SIZE 172 CM NEOX BINDINGS
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy