Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

South Tyrol

Poster: A snowHead
We have flights booked to Innsbruck next Friday from Gatwick. We haven't booked anywhere to stay yet. I had been planning on Lech or Ischgl but the Dolomites have had a reasonable snowfall. I know nothing about this area other than it's easily accessible from Innsbruck.
Anyone been? Alta Badia? Val Senales?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
erica2004, I think rather a lot of us have been to one area or another in the Dolomites - there are a couple of very long threads on the Sella Ronda area in particular.

If you are going for a week, then Val Senales will be rather limited in area, but at least it is definitely going to be open, with the glacier.

If they are open, Kronplatz (Brunico) or Alta Badia would be much better choices from Innsbruck IMO.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have a look on the "Calling Sella Ronda Fans" thread currently on page two of this section. Loads of info, and lots of people who go there regularly. (and yes Sud Tirol is a really good place to go Very Happy )
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
erica2004, the Val Gardena resorts are probably the easiest to get to from Innsbruck, try somewhere in Selva, check www.suedtirol.info for available accommodation, shouldn't be a problem next week, won't get busy til the weekend before xmas, when the world cup racing arrives in town.
They're reporting 70cm of snow in the last couple of days with more later in the week, lifts open on the 4th, so conditions will be superb and the pistes (relatively) empty, go for it!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
luigi, Kronplatz is certainly easier than Val Gardena, since you can get there without leaving motorway/trunk roads.

And I don't think there is much in it for Alta Badia (turning just short of Brunico) v Val Gardena.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
alex_heney, viaMichelin shows an equal 1h24min from Innsbruck airport to Brunico (for Kronplatz) and Ortisei-St Ulrich (for Val Gardena). Selva is 1h35, La Villa(Alta Badia) is 1h52 and Corvara(Alta Badia) is 1h58, so you're right, not a lot in it:

ViaMichelin routeplanner

Of course the nearest South Tyrolean skiing to Innsbruck is probably at Val di Fleres or Vipiteno, but with 15km and 13km of piste, they're not places for a week's holiday and probably not opening before Xmas.

I would also recommend a Sella Ronda resort (be it a Val Gardena or Alta Badia resort) over Kronplatz for a week's holiday, nicer scenery and atmosphere and a huge extent and variety of skiing, IMHO of course.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's looking nice and snowy in Colfosco this morning, I wish I was out there next week Going green:

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 2-12-09 10:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks! I'm sorry, I should have time to research this but we're installing a new computer system at work and it's hectic. I'd like to go somewhere scenic with lots of skiing and easy access. Plus good food, nice hotels and good service - fairly upmarket. Is Alta Badia an area rather than a particular village?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK - what's Ortesei like? I see there is going to be a Christmas market and things. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
erica2004, Alta Badia is one of the valleys in the Sella Ronda area. All the villages are really nice and I think each one would meet your requirements. The scenery is both dramatic and pretty. I've never had a bad meal there and even the reasonably priced accommodation looks good by normal standards. See the following link for more information.

http://www.altabadia.org/en-US/alta_badia_valley.html

I've not been to Ortesei but it's in the adjacent Val Gardena valley. I understand it's also meant to be really quaint and pretty. I don't think you can go wrong really with either valley, it's just a matter of getting something that suits all your needs and that fact that you are arriving on a Friday and not a Saturday/Sunday. I can't see this as a big problem though as it will be the start of the season.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
erica2004, Alta Badia is the ski area, the villages with lift access include Colfosco, Corvara, La Villa & San Cassiano, the first two are directly on the Sella Ronda route and accommodation tends to be just a bit more pricey, location, location, location!

Ortisei is the largest settlement in Val Gardena, almost a town, it has a pretty little ancient core with some nice shops, cafes, hotels etc. It has access to local skiing and is linked along Val Gardena (by skis or bus) to Selva which is better located for access to the full range of skiing being directly on the Sella Ronda circuit.

As Pokemon says, all good places, just find something that suits you.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So, if we stayed in Corvara or Colfosco, there would be heaps of skiing and a good 5 * hotel ? There seems to be more snow there than Selva.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
erica2004, there's 165km in Alta Badia itself and around 500km total in the areas linked by the Sella Ronda (Val Gardena, Arabba/Marmolada, Val di Fassa & Alta Badia). There's a predominance of blues in the Alta Badia area, good for cruising, head over to Selva or Arabba for even more challenges.

I don't have a lot of experience but AFAIR the only 5* in the Alta Badia area is the Rosa Alpina at San Cassiano, but there are four nice 4* in Corvara and one in Colfosco:

http://www.altabadia.it/en/hotels_corvara_e.htm

This page has links to the hotel websites so you can check them out (click on the different resorts too), even the 3*Superior 'boutique' hotels are really nice, often attentive service, family-run, just a bit smaller and lack one or two facilities that would merit a higher rating.

There are four 5* and a plethora of 4* in Val Gardena:

http://hotnet.val-gardena.com/hot-net/val-gardena/searchh.asp?L=3&V=1&vrb_id=4&pagid=259&season=w

Don't dismiss staying in Selva purely based on the snow report, the whole area is looking excellent ATM, a few cm here or there isn't going to make much difference, a good snow base is down and you will be skiing Selva anyway at some point as it's all linked. In fact, if you are keen skiers Selva is a better bet because there's a bit more challenge.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
erica2004, also found this photo of the centre of Ortisei:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tranq72/111574733/in/set-72157600037817996/
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
erica2004, here's a photo I took in January of the slopes above Corvara. You can just see Colfosco in the distance just to the left of centre, Corvara is hidden in the valley behind the mountain in the foreground:

snow report
luigi, Thankyou for the info. It looks lovely.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy