Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alcohol related deaths in skiing resorts

Poster: A snowHead
What initiatives are being promoted by holiday companys and resort owners this season to warn people of the dangers of dying from Hypothermia in a resort especially where alcohol is involved?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=923013&highlight=#923013

Every season there are unnessessary deaths, some of which only reveal the body after the spring thaw!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 3-12-09 8:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What needs to be said? Everyone knows drinking too much is foolish.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alexandra, I agree... they should teach common sense!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The best thing tour operators can do is nothing. Stupidity is the biggest threat to mankind. Eventually the problem will solve itself.

Why should they do anything?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nanny state has a poster
http://timestravel.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341d78f053ef012875d765fc970c-pi
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wasn't there a case in france where a British bar was shutdown after a customer died from Hypothermia ?

Of course drinkng while skiing is foolish and stupid ..... (you spill most of it).

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 1-12-09 10:01; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cc_7up, the function of a TO is to provide a holiday service to its guests. If you can't work out whether or not it's a good idea to wander about in -20° in a T-shirt whilst so off your face that you can't remember your own name let alone where your apartment is, then perhaps you should bring your mother on hoilday with you.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Come to think of it skiing is really quite dangerous as well, maybe it would be better to wrap everyone in cotton wool and avoid going out in the snow incase we slipped. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Come to think of it skiing is really quite dangerous as well, maybe it would be better to wrap everyone in cotton wool and avoid going out in the snow incase we slipped

Best be careful not to just do half of this. Spotting cotton wool wrapped skiers on the slopes could be a bit tricky! Still sounds like the ultimate in fluffy wear so may catch on in Courchevel wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB, a student tried crossing the river in Val d'Isere last season, but didn't make. I can't remember if she drowned or died of hypothermia, but she only had to make a 100m detour to use a foot bridge. I think that's part of the clever-dumb balance.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB wrote:
Wasn't there a case in france where a British bar was shutdown after a customer died from Hypothermia ?

Yes, there was - I was in there at the time. It was bloody freezing. The manager said he couldn't operate the heating system but nobody believed him.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Abominable snowHead,

That's tragic, not wanting to stereotpye here but didn't realize the French could be as tight as Yorkshiremen. Wink

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=33601&highlight=hypothermia

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=33674&highlight=hypothermia
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB wrote:
not wanting to stereotpye here

I know what you mean. Try typing the y before the p. Get that right and then you have a go at stereotyping, which'll be much easier.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard wrote:
cc_7up, the function of a TO is to provide a holiday service to its guests. If you can't work out whether or not it's a good idea to wander about in -20° in a T-shirt whilst so off your face that you can't remember your own name let alone where your apartment is, then perhaps you should bring your mother on hoilday with you.

I suggest you read my edited post again and you will see i am trying to raise Hypothermia awareness in Ski Resorts.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cc_7up wrote:
What initiatives are being promoted by holiday companys and resort owners this season!

These kind of things are normal:-

Guided Pub crawls
Two for the price of one alcohol offers
Free wine with meal in club hotels
Drinking games
Happy hours
snow conditions
cc_7up, and I suggest that if people aren't capable of working it out for themselves, they should be in some kind of sheltered accommodation and not allowed out on their own.
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
cc_7up, and I suggest that if people aren't capable of working it out for themselves, they should be in some kind of sheltered accommodation and not allowed out on their own.

Lizzard,

Big of you to offer such a constructive contribution Exclamation
latest report
cc_7up wrote:
Lizzard wrote:

I suggest you read my edited post again and you will see i am trying to raise Hypothermia awareness in Ski Resorts.

Why? It's obvious by the fact that you're in a "ski resort".
ski holidays
Just how much of a problem is this? I honestly can't recall a story about people dying from the cold that wasn't related to serious boozing beforehand as in the stories already listed about the girl in the river and people passing out drunk on their own (excluding, of course, people getting lost or incapacitated while skiing on the mountain) - in which case the problem isn't hypothermia but boozed up people doing stupid things...

And if the collective can sort that out then we should really stop wasting our talents on a snow forum and run for govt.

Sorry cc_7up, but I think the answer to your problem doesn't lie in warning people about dangers, but in instilling a sense of personal responsibility into those who lack it.
ski holidays
hyweljenkins wrote:
The best thing tour operators can do is nothing. Stupidity is the biggest threat to mankind. Eventually the problem will solve itself.

Why should they do anything?

Totally agree. Think of it as evolution in action.

I can't believe i just agreed with hyweljenkins Shocked
snow report
cc_7up wrote:
Lizzard wrote:

Lizzard,

Big of you to offer such a constructive contribution Exclamation

You might have noticed, you aren't getting a lot of support here. It isn't about "constructive criticism", it is simply the fact that anybody who is not aware of that really shouldn't be in the mountains at all.

And it isn't up to TOs to tell them that the mountains in winter are a dangerous place.
ski holidays
cc_7up wrote:
unnessessary deaths,

See, that's it, Darwin would disagree here.

Well, Hurtle probably would, as well, but for different reasons. wink
snow conditions
Axsman, the world will now, shirley, end.
ski holidays
Ski resorts can be cold. Alcohol encourages poor decision making and falling... who'd a thunk it...

cc_7up, now you have forced me to agree with hyweljenkins, alex_heney, and Lizzard, I hope you are proud of what you have done. Twisted Evil wink

Adults in an Alpine environment. Evolution in action. Sad personal tragedies but no more than that.
latest report
I don't think it matters wether you are on a mountain or a Beach(sorry about the B word Embarassed ). People on holiday are always warned about the dangers of alcohol and altitude/temprature/dehydration/sea/snow/flying/swimming/walking/mountain climbing/diving/sleeping etc. etc. Most resposible adults know all this stuff and most are resposible enough to leave the apres for the apres.

Anyway, on my snowboard I look hammered Toofy Grin without any drink.
latest report
I find the £5 pint enough to discourage me from getting hammered! It's the guys having a bottle of wine each at lunch that worry me. How many inocent skiers are taken out by them every year?

adrian
snow report
A guy managed to fall asleep UNDER a car on our uni trip. I honestly don't know how that happened.

I do agree with everyone else that if you're capable of being that stupid then you get what you're given. I would never wish it upon a friend or even someone in the same resort as me and I can't help but think that I'd be pretty angry at people making generalisations about a friend if they had just died.
latest report
agt wrote:
I find the £5 pint enough to discourage me from getting hammered! It's the guys having a bottle of wine each at lunch that worry me. How many inocent skiers are taken out by them every year?

adrian

Le Signal in Val D'isere give you a bottle of Genepi to help yourself to after the meal. Wheee!

Although it just seems to make us miss our connection back to Tignes most of the time..
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
cc_7up, now you have forced me to agree with hyweljenkins, alex_heney, and Lizzard and stoatsbrother, I hope you are proud of what you have done.
Shocked
ski holidays
I can't help but feel that if you compared the statistics for drink related fatalities on a per capita basis between ski tour operators & summertime youth tour operators e.g. in both cases operators specifically targeting the market under 20. That the volume of fatalities is probably quite a bit lower when it comes to skiing related incidents. This is of course purely anecdotal but I can't remember last time i heard of an irish individual that was killed in one of these kinds of incidents in a ski resort yet you hear of loads of them year round in other circumstances.

Drink makes people do stupid things. It's an unfortunate fact of life. People need to be aware of this & responsible for their own actions. Otherwise it's just like others have said above natural selection in action cruel & all as it may seem.
snow report
Agree withfrank4short, booze is a problem in many aspects of life. I do think that intervention in the formof price control and availabiltiy may be appropriate but telling people how to behave on holiday is absurd.
snow conditions
It's not just the cold that will kill the drunks in a ski resort. Last winter we had a guy (British) who tried climbing from one balcony to another. Nine metres later he was dead on the pavement. Should tour companies warn about the falling risk as well as the cold.
ski holidays
In St Anton we had a few candidates for the Darwin awards in the last few years.

A person collapsed on New Years Eve after a few and was buried under new snow (In town) . Civil Guard,Army called out to probe whole town > Dead.

A guy got speared with farming equipment after skiing into a heustadl (Grass shed) after coming out of the Moosserwirt> Dead

A guy fell over after Mountain Apres Ski and fell a sleep on the blind side of a mogul. He got shredded/mowed over by a Piste Bully > Dead.

The list goes on...................

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 5-12-09 14:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Sarge McSarge, some pished kid on a school trip tried that in Alpe d'Huez a couple of seasons ago, got away with broken heel, knee and femur.
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:
Sarge McSarge, some pished kid on a school trip tried that in Alpe d'Huez a couple of seasons ago, got away with broken heel, knee and femur.

Interesing. alcohol probably saves as many lives as it takes!
snow conditions
Quote:

A guy fell over after Mountain Apres SKi and fell a sleep unde a mogul & got shreaded/mowed over by a Piste Bully > Dead.

Owch. Bet that was a fun clean-up operation...
latest report
3 years ago, one guy from our group died having strong hangover (has been drinking for two days before) from hart attack at the altitude about 2600m in livigno

he was only 32.
ski holidays
milky wrote:
Quote:

A guy fell over after Mountain Apres SKi and fell a sleep unde a mogul & got shreaded/mowed over by a Piste Bully > Dead.

Owch. Bet that was a fun clean-up operation...

The driver of the Pisten Bully suffered post psychological problems not driven since the incident.

It really mess up his Corduroy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
cbr7 wrote:
3 years ago, one guy from our group died having strong hangover (has been drinking for two days before) from hart attack at the altitude about 2600m in livigno

he was only 32.

I doubt the alcohol killed the person. He was probably very sick in the first place without realising it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy