Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The perils of leaving your pride and joy in the alps

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Off to Tignes on 15th Dec. Drove down last Easter and parked at Tignes les Boisses in the free car park, but it was warm and sunny.

Does anyone have any tips for leaving the car for 2 weeks outdoors. Boisses is 1800m I think.

I've read about filling up with diesel from Albertville onwards, but would welcome any other advice, unless I get really scared and stump up 134 euros for covered parking.

Are shovels/covers etc any use?

Thanks.

Toofy Grin A happy snow day to all.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would be happy to leave it outside but probably a good idea to schedule a couple of visits to it. Brev should be open by then so you can ski down to it, dig out and start it up, drive it round a bit then continue skiing. Have the last visit a couple of days before you leave and keep an eye on weather and move it inside if forcast for heavy snow. Skiing down to it means you are kitted up to deal with fast removal of snow from it.... just use arms to remove snow
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gryfon, pull your windscreen wipers away from the windscreen. Start up the engine occasionally, don't leave it cold for the whole two weeks. Keep a shovel handy to dig it out again if you need to (avalanche shovel will do the job).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Are shovels/covers etc any use?

whether shovels are any use depends on whether it snows. If it does, then they're indispensable, really. Also useful is a small stiff-bristled brush - shovels can play hell with your paintwork. wink I don't bother with a cover - because the big work is clearing the snow from round the car - rather than off it. None of the locals seem to ever bother with covers. Remember to leave the windscreen wipers off the screen. If it's very cold, locks can freeze, as can door seals, especially on the windward side. But if it's clear and cold, no problem - and you don't need de-icer spray in those conditions because there isn't enough moisture in the air to freeze onto the windscreen.

If you think it's going to snow overnight when you will need the car in the morning - put chains on the night before. and bring your shovel indoors in case the doors freeze shut.

Final suggestion - don't leave the car somewhere where it's likely to be walled in with two metres of rock-hard snow shoved up by a snowplough.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gryfon, Put your chains on before you leave it.....it takes just a few seconds to take them off again if not needed but if they are it's so much quicker and easier if they're already on rather than trying to dig it out and put them on when all you want to do is get off home.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
vaseline on the door rubbers....... means you can always open the doors without shredding your seals!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Diesel congeals at something like -15 (not sure of the exact temperature but that's ballpark). So if the forecast is for really cold weather & you're expecting to have to get anywhere in it. I'd suggest moving it in advance to an underground carpark or somewhere that won't get so cold. So that you'll be able to drive it when you need it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just might be worth checking that they don't clear the snow from the car park on Satudays and need all cars out to do this. I have parked in places where this is the case. Seeing the snowploughs & JCB's at work they would have made short work of any cars left.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Further to my previous post a little research tells me that this process starts to occur at about -9 to -10 degrees. There are however additives you can add to your fuel to prevent this from happening.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ours was outside for 5 months last winter with no special treatment save the wiper tip and rarely driven - although admittedly only at 850m. TBH we were kinda hoping it would die out there so that I could have a shiny new one but t'was not to be and is still going strong. We just used arms to brush off snow and an old garden spade to clear a track behind it if it snowed. Definitely take Pam's final suggestion seriously. Been there, done that and will NEVER EVER do it again!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Liberally coat door seals with silicone (NOT vaseline) to prevent ice welding the doors to the body.

Get some graphite lock lubrication or at worst squirt locks full with WD40

Always lift wiper blades off the glass

Consider buying a new battery if yours is a bit old.

If possible park with the engine away from the prevailing wind

Leave the fuel tank full to minimise condensation forming and then freezing thawing and watering down the fuel.

Always park facing the way you want to drive off in case you need a push start

Clear ALL snow off the car before setting off. Plod have been known to pull up cars covered with snow.

Fill windscreen washer with a 90% mix.

Always park in gear with handbrake off

Diesel sold in Alpine areas is good down to -20c (actual not chill temp)

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 30-11-09 20:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
frank4short, If you fill up in Albertville (or anywhere else close to the mountains) you get diesel rated for very low temperatures with the additives already in and shouldn't suffer from freezing.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I just made sure I let mine run for a while if I hadn't taken it out in a week although I did have covered parking: good in that I didn't have to clear snow, bad in that if you let the snow melt off it clears all the crap off with it: mine just got sprayed with muck all over the rear screen.

To clear snow off with a shovel dont shovel it but push it with the back of the shovel, it'll all come off in one and you won't touch your paint.

My screen wash froze for about a month though, even though I had some stuff for -25 if diluted 1 in 2 that I put in neat. Although I bought some French stuff and stuck that in neat and it took till this month for my screen to stop smearing for the first few passes whenever I used the wipers
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Leave the car in gear/park and don't put the handbrake on as the brakes can freeze
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Maybe have one of the portable battery backup starters in the boot.
latest report
Quote:

Put your chains on before you leave it.....it takes just a few seconds to take them off again if not needed

Indeed - my smuggest moment was driving out of Vallandry after an overnight dump, whereas everyone else was struggling to put chains on in dark and cold.

As for starting car during the week - not so sure on this, our handbook says this actually puts more strain on battery and engine won't be charging until its been running for 10 mins. I found this out the hard way, as I had been doing this and on departure day battery was flat.Luckily the taxi driver taking my parents to station was very kind.
snow conditions
Quote:

Always park in gear with handbrake off

Ah yes! I'd forgotten that one, so glad to have the reminder. I had to take our car into a garage last year because it was making a ghastly noise which turned out to be something happening because the hand brake had been frozen - or similar. So I shouldn't have forgotten, as I left the car overnight and had to get the ski bus home, then pick it up next day - big faff, but very little dosh, fortunately.
latest report
Leave your pride and joy behind.
Get a Subaru.
It works even better if you turn the smugmode switch with the snowflake to on.
ski holidays
Park with the drive wheels outwards.
snow report
nixmap, no no no... I'm sure spyderman will agree with me on this LAND ROVER DEFENDER everytime lol
snow report
marcellus, I guess he's talking tourists not residents wink Very Happy
ski holidays
Thanks for all the hints and tips everyone.

They are very much appreciated, and it's you all that make this place so useful.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

Has Christmas come early ! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
gryfon, re the screen wash additive, you can also use meths, (methylated spirit) its cheaper and if used 50 50 is good down to !!! well mine has never frozen yet sounds mad if you have never herad of this but has been used for years.
snow report
Boredsurfing wrote:
Liberally coat door seals with silicone (NOT vaseline) to prevent ice welding the doors to the body.

For interest why "silicone" and not "vaseline" and what is a good silicone to use?
snow report
Vaseline (or anything oil based) will rot the rubber.

I'd guess that 'cockpit spray' from a car shop would do the job.
ski holidays
marcellus wrote:
Boredsurfing wrote:

For interest why "silicone" and not "vaseline" and what is a good silicone to use?

Vaseline is petroleum-based, and over time will degrade the rubber on the seals. However it does of course depend on whether the seals are actually rubber-based or something else, such as neoprene.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 1-12-09 11:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
marcellus, Vaseline will rot the rubber over time. Ususlly small pin prick holes appear and then... Embarassed
latest report
livetoski wrote:
gryfon, re the screen wash additive, you can also use meths, (methylated spirit) its cheaper and if used 50 50 is good down to !!! well mine has never frozen yet sounds mad if you have never herad of this but has been used for years.

Or just buy the french pamplemousse smelling stuff - will smell much nicer when you spray your windscreen...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bertie bassett, that's the stuff that smeared on my screen from March till last week.
snow report
gryfon, go on to the landyzone forum...those guys are the money when it comes to info like this...make sure you give them the make and year of car first though or you might get some smart @r$e$ jumping all over you.........

okbye
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy