Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt snow report 2009/10

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar wrote:

I assessed it much safer to stay in bed on Sunday

Correctly assessed Very Happy We were safe (ish) and warm in a gondola, but the boarders on a chair in front of us were not looking so good after their 20 min chill Skullie
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm off to Zermatt this weekend. The Resort runs are listed as all being closed. Any idea if they're likely to open at the weekend?

cheers
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
TheGeneralist, there looks to be enough snow to open them and they seem to be pisting some of them, but as it's very quiet I think they are keeping them shut. No idea if they will open them this weekend, but I don't think it is a lack of snow especially as more is forecast tomorrow and Sunday I think.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
TheGeneralist, Downloading at this time of year is a badge of honour.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The weather wasn't as bad today as I was expecting/fearing. We had a little bit of fresh (maybe 5cm) but nothing of much significance. The only notable factor was the COLD. Last time I was that cold I got frost nip. I don't think my toes have defrosted yet, so a warm bath and later the generous consumption of flavoured alcohol products is called for.

More snow is forecast on Sunday and Monday, and slightly warmer temperatures I think. Which is probably a good thing.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, how cold did it get down to?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Getting on for -20 degrees.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well, arrived here yesterday but was unable to ski due to arrival time.
It snowed a tiny amount today and got out for a few runs in the afternoon after a resort orientation course and some shopping for dinner.

Only skied round the Trockersteg area. By the time we got out it was starting to get a bit scraped on some of the pistes however still some surprisingly light powder alongside the pistes for a short forage.
It started snowing again after we came off but it doesn't look like much down at resort, hopefully it'll be a dump at the top Toofy Grin

Still no sign of teh Materhorn for clouds so like rob@rar, i wait in hope.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Last time we were there, my husband took 350 photos and the Matterhorn had sneaked into about 345 of them! Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
beeorchid, I've seen plenty of pictures of it. You can't really go anywhere in the village without seeing them can you but i'd just like sneaky peek of the real thing. Maybe tomorrow
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lovely conditions today. Sun out, cold but not windy.
Pistes are still covered in nice grippy snow which gives tons of confidence when carving at mach 3 Laughing

Off piste was a bit more variable today. Yesterdays wind has scraped a lot of the soft stuf off the mountain leaving variable conditions which jump from firm to soft in a moments notice. Very hairy when going at speed.

On piste - Great

Off piste - more challenging than usual
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jerry wrote:
Don't get me started on the Matterhorn, (great photos guys) I got the piste taken out of me 'cos I couldn't see it without taking a pic. Every angle, every light condition, it looks different, I can never stop looking at it in Zermatt - had some great times there the last three Christmases snowHead - will miss her this year...

Jerry,

Contrary to what everyone else may think about you, we'll miss you in Zermatt this year.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
arlberg, snigger. A compliment with a put down. Niiiiice Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zermatt will miss me this year Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm hoping for a bit more fresh before sunday, so i can take my nice new shiny skis.
snow conditions
fastandicy, thanks for your report above. A group of us are heading down for the weekend and need to make the all important ski choice! Re the off piste, are there any decent stashes left or is it all tracked out / windblown / rocky??? Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
We're coming in on the 19th - looks like its going to stay frosty - a couple nice dumps would be nice.
Are the runs into the village open?
latest report
bobinch, Me and a mate went down one of the itinerary runs yesterday with a good hour spent off piste below the Schwarzee paradise lift (Largely due to a lack of off-piste technique on my part). It was a load of fun and very few tracks due to the lack of skiers on the mountain however it was very windblown with a tendency to go from soft and fluffy to heavy and firm without warning which made for some interesting falls and stacks Laughing
There is stil some stashes to be found but they are few and far between.

I didn't bother with the off-piste today and got stuck on a broken down gondola in Cervinia for two hours this afternboon wo can't really give much more of an update than i gave last night
snow conditions
fastandicy, thanks for the update!
snow report
Have just spoken with the owner of the Admiral hotel and she says that the locals are so happy with the current conditions and there is lots of snow around.
It is a very happy village at the moment.
ski holidays
Pretty much everything open. Pistes hard but with good coverage. We were able to get all the way down to Valtournenche with it only getting patchy right at the bottom. Started snowing at lunchtime and put 3-5cm down which freshened up the pistes nicely. More on the Italian side than in Zermatt. No more snow overnight and blue skies this morning. Off piste wind scoured and rocky. Only for the brave/foolhardy...
snow report
bobinch, I take it you mean me Shocked

I'm over the Dom in Saas Fee now, sounds like Zermatt got more of a dusting than we did. Lucky if there was a fresh 1 cm here
ski holidays
Need some fresh, fairly hard icey pistes in places, especially towards the end of the day, morning was fine though, even with the sun out, it was bloody cold even more so in areas out of the sun. The off piste seems to be very mixed, from wind blown hard rockyness to sun soft boot deep.

Its almost like spring ski conditions, just a lot colder.

the forecast of coldy and some snow seesm to have been wide of the mark, though, looking over to cervina it looked very cloudy that way, but not sure if it snowed on that side, will find out tomorrow.

resort wise, the roads are slippery then usual and theres a lot more british about again this year, and far fewer russians japanese, poles and germans.
ski holidays
Saturday morning brrrrr

After lunch

Last run of the day

Sunday morning from the window if the Furi Gondola - that's more like it!

The Breithorn

Clouds came in on the Italian side

Better back over in Switzerland

Dufourspitze - highest mountain in Switzerland

Hard packed piste down to Furi

Me and the (pregnant) missus outside Zum See

The Matterhorn from the village

Finally some powder under Rothorn

On the last run down

I love Zermatt!
ski holidays
bobinch, great photos!

Slightly belatedly I've done a blog entry of my trip to Zermatt at the end of November.
latest report
first ride on the new extended matterhorn express, certainly better then jamming into a packed cable car. Though it seemed to break this afternoon, as I didn't see it move once as I skied from trockner steg to furi and then it moved for about 5mins and stopped again.. so looks like some teething troubles.
snow report
Nice photos.
snow report
Anybody in Zermatt that can give an up to date view of what the snow is like.

Thanks
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cham08, I'll text my buddy who's over there at the moment and ask.
I'm in neighbouring Saas Fee and we had fresh powder the night before last. Only about 10cms but enough to freshen up the off-piste enough for a wander and soften up the pistes. I'll try to get you a more comprehensive update from Zermat tonight.
latest report
cham08, here's a report dated yesterday, lifted from the Ski Total website, written by a resort staff member:

Zermatt
Powder, powder and more powder! The overnight snow has made conditions perfect for those who have been eagerly awaiting the opportunity to be more adventurous and savour the exhilaration of floating among the trees. Once the pistes have had a chance to be groomed , skiers and boarders of all abilities will have the opportunity to experience perfect conditions on the immaculate slopes. More snow is forecast overnight tonight, continuing into tomorrow. The heaviest snowfall is predicted tomorrow night (Christmas Eve). The end of the week is looking extremely promising for powder ski buffs and conditions are going to be good for those lucky guests arriving next week!

23/12/09

They are admittedly a vested interest, but there has been some good snowfall this week also reported elsewhere.

A bit of a worry is the chance of heavy rain tonight in the village, just depends how far up the mountain before it turns to snow, obviously at altitude there will deffo be a load more pow!snowHead

I'm keeping a close eye now as I'm heading out on the 10th.
latest report
Oh well, a white xmas for Zermatt, the village webcams are white this morning, so it must have been cold enough for at least some snow last night, looks like some fresh on the mountain too. Very Happy
ski holidays
25 cm reported for the mountain on 25th December and another 15cm on 29th December, it's been mild enough to rain lower down but village webcams are still looking white and valley snow depths have increased. Getting progressively colder twd the weekend, some snow forecast too. snowHead
snow conditions
Ski Total's latest report seems to bear this out, if you can ignore the spin:

147cm at the top of the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise with 41cm in resort and all the lifts in Zermatt are open. After 5cm of snow again yesterday the conditions on the pistes couldn’t be better with the satisfying crunch of fresh snow underfoot. Conditions off piste remain a little variable but there is good snow to be had if you know where to look! It is bright and sunny this morning – slopes here I come! Cloud is expected to gradually build again with intermittent snow showers overnight and continuing into tomorrow. Thursday is due to start brightly but again is forecast to cloud over with slightly more steady snow giving a few more cm of coverage on Thursday afternoon and overnight into Friday. Church Square has to be the place to be on New Year’s Eve. Most of Zermatt seems to congregate here as the countdown to the New Year begins with the crowd enjoying the party atmosphere amongst the fireworks, music and laser display. Those that have the energy can then go to one of the many New Year’s parties on offer.

29/12/09
snow report
Village streets and trees are white again on the webcams this morning, they did look a bit slushy through the middle part of the day yesterday, temps are dropping over next few days with a bit more snow forecast.
latest report
I cribbed this from the ifyouski website, seems like a SkiclubGB rep report, written on New Year's Eve:

There was lots of fresh powder on the upper slopes of many Swiss resorts on Thursday. Up to 30cm fell on Wednesday night, with some resorts receiving good snow down to lower levels thanks to colder weather on Thursday. The Ski Club rep in Zermatt (25/155cm) reported up to 30cm of fresh powder on the upper slopes on Wednesday and it has snowed more since then. 7cm fell on New Year's Eve so the skiing up there for New Year's Day should be equally good. Down low, mild temperatures mean the snow is a little soft and slushy in places but all you have to do is head high where it is a lot better.
snow report
Good last week in Zermatt arriving back yesterday - Great skiing at start and end of week with some snow and flat light sandwiched in between.

Differences between this year and last -

-ve: Not as many runs open - a few reds either on Gornergrat and Rothorn that are not covered by snow cannons still closed, together with the usual yellow itineries that don't tends to open until later in the season.

+ve - Great new bar at the foot of the Rothorn run back into town (opposite lift down to Sunegga tunnel) called Cervo - classy and comfortable- wife drawn by the champange frozen into the block of ice at the door!

[/img]
latest report
skimark, nice update, always good to hear from someone who's visited recently, will look out for Cervo.

No recent snow reported since 31st Dec, still hoping for some fresh on Thurs night/Friday to top up the pistes. Snow forecast have got 36cm of powder lined up, but somehow I can't see that happening.

I just hope there's some before I arrive on Sunday! Very Happy
latest report
Ski Total's latest report pasted here carefully glosses over iffy off-piste and hard-packed valley runs methinks, though seems like conditions are good at altitude, just hope they're right about the fresh at the end of the week:

There is a superb snow base of 110cm at the top of the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise and 15cm in the village itself. Several of the ooff-piste itineraries are now open, Momatt, Hermettji, Bielti and nearly all of the main runs including the links over to Cervinia are also open. More than enough skiing for all abilities!

Conditions on the pistes are still good but are a little varied off-piste. The best snow is to be found on the higher slopes and we are blessed here in Zermatt with plenty of high altitude skiing! Head to the top of the Rothorn Paradise, Gornergrat or Matterhorn Glacier Paradise areas and there is plenty of good quality snow to be found.
Tuesday has started in glorious sunshine. It is expected to cloud over a little this afternoon but then clear again tomorrow to give another sunny day. Cloud is forecast to build on Thursday and give some light snow, with the most snow expected on Thursday night. Fireworks and celebrations are expected later in the week for the Russian Orthodox Christmas.

05/01/10
snow report
any updates on conditions here?

Cheers
latest report
Quote:

There is a superb snow base of 110cm at the top of the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise and 15cm in the village itself.

Its not very often that Yad Moss in the Pennines has more snow than Zermatt in the Valais!.... so I'll have to enjoy this one while it lasts Laughing

Hopefully there will be more in Zermatt by March Sad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy