Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski jackets for tall ladies

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,
I'm 5 foot 9 and having issues finding a ski jacket long enough in the body. I'm currently using a handme down men's one so unless I can find a slightly more feminine print from the same brand (quicksilver) I'm completely stuck.

My salopettes are black and ideally I'd like something pink or purple I think, otherwise on skis I can easily be mistaken for a man Wink

So what I'm asking is for any brands that SnowHeads know tend to come up longer or any recommendations?

I wear a size 14-16
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RibenaRockstar, I've got the opposite problem as I'm only 5ft and a tiny bit. Schoffel do ski pants in a long length I think, (they also do short) but not sure about colours. I had a jacket by Ripcurl which I loved, but which was very long and the sleeves were a ridiculous length. I've found somewhere to alter my stuff now, at least I have that option.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Seems a common problem:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=34536
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RibenaRockstar, SOS used to do longer cuts (although not necessarily longer sizes if you know what I mean).

Or look at outdoor equipment rather than ski specific kit. My OH likes a long cut jacket and currently has an Arc'teryx shell. e.g. http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Womens/Jackets/Stingray-Jacket-W#
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
altis, apologies, elsewhere on the web if I resurrected a thread that old I'd be vilified Neh Neh

under a new name, that's a good idea - if I had £400 spare Wink - but more seriously, I would rather find a ski specific jacket as they tend to have the extra features like the zippy pockets in handy places (one I had many years ago had a pocket on the arm - ski pass and insurance details went in there, very useful). Also for an 'outdoor equipment' jacket that's up to scratch for skiing it sounds like it would have to be big bucks =/

It seems Ripcurl's a good bet? I've found a jacket from there for £40 on Tk Maxx... very tempted.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
RibenaRockstar, the OH's jacket has lots of handy pockets (and a pass holder on the arm).

In fairness, Arc'teryx is expensive but very well built. Not wanting to be rude but I don't think Quicksilver or Ripcurl would last her a season - plus it's not particularly technical kit - by which I mean probably not very performant nor hard wearing. All very well sitting in the sun on a spring afternoon, but not so great when it gets really cold, nor if I force her to ski when it's raining Twisted Evil

But you don't need a huge budget for good kit. Helly Hansen seems to work and last pretty well, my last trousers from them, (insulated so I guess aimed at skiers) were about GBP 100. Mountain Equipment, Berghaus, etc. apparently good vfm.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RibenaRockstar, the Ripcurl jacket I had was in very good technical fabric (Dermizax I think), it was very breathable,waterproof and warm. I ski 5-6 weeks a season, and it is still in good enough nick to have as my spare jacket, despite the long sleeves. I bought it in 2008 and I only replaced it last March.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've ordered it on the basis that 40 GBP really isn't that much for a good coat, let alone a ski one - and I could do with a warm waterproof jacket for here too even if it doesn't come up trumps for skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hells Bells, fair enough!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name, I was actually surprised how good quality it was.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hells Bells, I am surprised at how the quality sounds too!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RibenaRockstar, I had a Trespass jacket from T K Maxx which was great, and lasted several seasons. However, I always find I need to try on jackets - they are such different shapes, and different "feel". It's a mission going to T K Maxx and sorting through the tat, but even with more expensive jackets I find trying on is essential - and I'm a very average size. In the summer, in a ski shop in France with a good range, I decided to treat myself to a new jacket - tried on half a dozen, and none felt really comfortable so decided to hang on to my old one, which does (Head).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My Eider katana jacket sits nicely, and I'm 6ft - well styled, but a little on the pricey side. Not all of their jackets are long enough, however, so it's a "try 'em on" game, as always.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, I would if I could but there's no TX Maxx here; I'd have to go to Bristol which is added cost and time that I really don't have - and I only get home three days before we leave for Canada, so fitting a trip to a TK Maxx where they wouldn't even necessarily have what I need was going to be unrealistic.
Plus I need a warm waterproof jacket for here too.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I did buy myself a pair of pants in that shop. they are in France - can't remember make, but I think it was Rip Curl. 20K waterproof and 20 K breathable and 4-way stretch. They are terrific, and were not specially cheap, even in the sale. They seem very good quality - on the strength of just two days in Tignes last week I am very happy with them.
ski holidays
Quote:

I'd have to go to Bristol which is added cost and time that I really don't have

fair enough - I find it hard to face a trip to TKM and I'm retired and it's only a few miles away!!
snow report
RibenaRockstar, I am also 5' 9" and bought a new jacket for last Spring. I ended up in a men's Schoeffel - it was dark grey, but I've got bright red sallopettes to go with it this year.
latest report
My problem is sleeves and trouser length. My body is short but my limbs are long. I'm only 5ft8 but I need extra long or tall length trousers and long sleeves tops are often 3/4 sleeved tops on me. My current ski gear is Trespass but I had to buy a larger sized jacket to get the sleeve length.
latest report
Thought I'd report back that the jacket arrived today and it seems very good - thinner than my old one but I can layer up with thin layers and it makes it more practical - certainly very warm though!
Nice and long, in the sleeves too Smile
Fairly snug around hips, which is the only downside.
ski holidays
RibenaRockstar, if it snug through the hips I'd be tempted to return it, your going to be straining the zip on chairlifts/seated gondolas, it won't last that long and the law according to sod demands it will fail mid week and you'll have to replace it in resort at market prices.
I'm 5'11 with gorilla arms and legs (36" inseam) I get on well with the Swedish kit, as a race they err on the tall side. Their own brands are very reasonable. A large outlet of theirs is STADIUM, I have their "warp" jacket/trousers and am happy with fit and performance. If you google them the prices are in SEK, divide by 10 for a rough comparison in £. Very Happy
ski holidays
lilywhite, it's not actually snug, it's just my arms aren't as long as it is in the body (good thing) so I'm pulling it up while doing it up. Once done up it's fine xD
snow report
RibenaRockstar, Fair play hun, wasn't quite how it came across Very Happy , you may have guessed;I learned the hard way about busted zips in resort.
ski holidays
lilywhite, yeah, I know what you mean - in fact before answering I went and put on salopettes and jacket over my PJs t check the thickness of the sals wasn't an issue - it's fine. I guess streamlined is the right word- not tight
snow report
Quote:

I don't think Quicksilver or Ripcurl would last her a season

Nonsense. I know people who have had more than one full season's use out of both those with no problem.

RibenaRockstar, bear in mind the traditional end of season huge @rse problem - not much room for cake if your jacket is already tight in December! Laughing
snow conditions
It was the getting it done up over my hips thing which meant I ended up with the men's shoeffel - I would have preferred something much much cheaper, but it was the only thing I had any room in. It is enormous around the rest of my body which is the only downside, but is so warm I don't need many jumpers. Still at least I can fill the pockets up Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Lizzard, I don't gain hips any more, thank god - it's my waist and belly which change. Plus I've been steadily losing blub over the past six months so I should be a tiny bit more slimline by December anyway, haha! Defying the freshman fifteen ftw.
latest report
I am 5' 7", size 8-10 with a long body and short legs and struggled to find a ski jacket to fit properly. Always ended up sitting on chair lifts with an icy blast round my mid rift. Must have tried on dozens of ski jackets but all seemed just too short in the body. In the end I bought a Bonfire snowboading jacket. Much longer in the body not had a problem since. For some reason snowboarding jackets tend to be longer. Have had the Bonfire jacket for 3 seasons now (approx 10 weeks skiing) and still looks like new. Very waterproof and warm. Got it in the sale at Nevis Sports for about 70 quid bargain and would definitely recommend.
latest report
Quote:

my mid rift

Skiing Polo mint! Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy