Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fun Skis/Blades

Poster: A snowHead
Ok Ski_all_day, who's sock are you? wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

65cm

That'll be Kneissl Big Foots (Big Feet?)
Salomon were 99cm.

Blades are wider underfoot so when you crash they'll be at bigger edge angle than piste skis at the point the side of the boot hits the snow.

And yes we did "ski" both, last year (and I've "skied" 99's many times in the past), and "stunning" is not the descriptive term I'd use Wink

Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andy, Salomon did blades from 60cm - 120cm.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes Rob - short Blades with fixed bindings (not short skis) are much lighter than skis and easier to angle more. Have you ever tried short blades on ice?? It has to be seen to be believed!! They are awesome with fall line skiing down any steepness of slope when icy and everyone else is struggling. NehNeh
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Andy the 65cm ones are the original ones before they went bigger. If you tried the really short blades on icy slopes you will understand. You do have to be a very good skier who is good at carving. Going straight down a slope won't work as well because blades are generally not in control unless on edge - much more skittish than ski's. Once you get it it's amazing and really works you're quads!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Remember on a dry slope you can get away with a shorter ski than you really need because the surface is more grippy. For example, I am 173cm tall but on the dry slope I ski 140s. I would really like something around 145 (aka 10cm shorter than I'd ski on snow) but they only have them in 10cm increments. This Christmas on snow I'll probably start the week on 155s ish and then go back to the hire shop and get something 160ish after a couple of days.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ski_all_day wrote:
Yes Rob - short Blades with fixed bindings (not short skis) are much lighter than skis and easier to angle more.
Blimey, do people struggle to tip their skis on to edge because the skis are heavy? That's a new one on me!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 22-10-12 15:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski_all_day wrote:
Going straight down a slope won't work as well because blades are generally not in control unless on edge - much more skittish than ski's. Once you get it it's amazing and really works you're quads!!
If it works your quads more than other muscle groups you're not standing in balance on the skis.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999 wrote:
Every time you wear blades, God (or a similar deity of your choice) kills a kitten. FACT!

My friend's kittens have just been diagnosed with a heart murmur. I attribute this to the reawakening of this thread.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Serriadh wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Every time you wear blades, God (or a similar deity of your choice) kills a kitten. FACT!

My friend's kittens have just been diagnosed with a heart murmur. I attribute this to the reawakening of this thread.

Wearing blades for demonstration purposes is acceptable so that you can then argue with authority how stupid they are. I call that an investment in the feline population. Twisted Evil
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ski_all_day, Length and weight have bug all to do with how easy it is to get a ski on an edge, the narrower it is underfoot the more you will be able to get it on an edge.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I dunno about ice, I wouldn't fancy it on blades but short skis can be good fun on off piste powder

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar wrote:
Ski_all_day wrote:
Going straight down a slope won't work as well because blades are generally not in control unless on edge - much more skittish than ski's. Once you get it it's amazing and really works you're quads!!
If it works your quads more than other muscle groups you're not standing in balance on the skis.

You should really try it yourself before passing judgement on someone's technique - a lot of people on here fail to understand the different way you ski on blades compared to any other ski including short ski's. I was also sceptical before trying on ice but believe me it's awesome. Just out of interest what is the fastest you have been on ski's in a resort? 40mph, 50mph, 60mph or even faster??
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rambotion wrote:
Ski_all_day, Length and weight have bug all to do with how easy it is to get a ski on an edge, the narrower it is underfoot the more you will be able to get it on an edge.

So what you are saying is a 2m ski is as easy to get on edge as a 1.2m short ski - really?? rolling eyes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ski_all_day wrote:
You should really try it yourself before passing judgement on someone's technique - a lot of people on here fail to understand the different way you ski on blades compared to any other ski including short ski's. I was also sceptical before trying on ice but believe me it's awesome. Just out of interest what is the fastest you have been on ski's in a resort? 40mph, 50mph, 60mph or even faster??

Laughing I've skied on blades, although not for a long time. Salomon something or other, with fixed bindings

I've got a pretty good idea of ski technique and how people acquire it. If you had a good idea of technique you'd know that to go properly fast (around curves mind you, not just giving in to gravity) a long pair of skis is far more stable than a short pair of skis, other things being equal.
ski holidays
Ski_all_day wrote:
rambotion wrote:

So what you are saying is a 2m ski is as easy to get on edge as a 1.2m short ski - really?? rolling eyes
Yes, of course it is. Edging a ski is a lateral move which has nothing to do with how long the skis are. The marginal difference in the weight you need to tip up is insignificant.
latest report
Well I guess strictly speaking it would be possible to get more edge pressure for the same movement due to the reduced contact area, but I would still put my money on Bode on his downhill skis over one of the Sedins on some ice skates on a downhill course! wink

With regard to getting it on an edge - since skiboard/blades seem to be fatter than your average carving ski, I think it might well be easier to get the latter on an edge.
ski holidays
I think for the user there is a "perception" of better edge angles than regular skis simply because the turn radius on them is ridiculously small so the forces that "could" be achieved by such a short radius turn will support a bigger angle than a regular ski BUT ONLY AT SLOWER SPEEDS! They will not support you as well at big angles at higher speeds!
snow conditions
Ski_all_day wrote:
You should really try it yourself before passing judgement on someone's technique - a lot of people on here fail to understand the different way you ski on blades compared to any other ski including short ski's.

Exactly why I wrote this above:
Quote:
And yes we did "ski" both, last year (and I've "skied" 99's many times in the past), and "stunning" is not the descriptive term I'd use

We used them on a bash last year... me, one blade rookie, and 1 instructor.Embarassed 1 pr of Salomon 99 blades, 1pr of big feet for a total laugh, and one guy had 123's. I would say the general consensus was... WTF???!!! (although the big feet are a laugh if you like doing head over heels in waist deep piste side powder).
If anyone on a bash wants to try the 99's that are in my shed, and then complain about them with authority, they are welcome to borrow them Twisted Evil

Ski_all_day wrote:
Just out of interest what is the fastest you have been on ski's in a resort? 40mph, 50mph, 60mph or even faster??

rofflemayo Wink rolling eyes
latest report
stuarth, are you suggesting a ski cross/ Crashed Ice hyrbrid? Now that wold be fun to watch.
snow conditions
RibenaRockstar wrote:
stuarth, are you suggesting a ski cross/ Crashed Ice hyrbrid? Now that wold be fun to watch.

I must confess I'm not familiar with Crashed Ice, but I have seen some footage of the Pain McShlonkey Classic. They do a Chinese Downhill and an Extreme Small Mountain competition on snowblades. You have the opportunity to see some world class athletes speedflailing and (repeatedly) crashing on tiny little sticks; it is well worth hunting down some video of it. If former world championship skiiers can't make snowblading look smooth and well controlled, I don't hold up much hope for anyone else!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy