Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fun Skis/Blades

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone advise....
I have been using salomon 90 snow blades for my last two ski trips and really enjoy them. They are basic and a bit battered and have the fixed binding so i am looking for a change.

I really like the Roxy skis and i have seen some junior ones i really like (junior because of the length) I only want 120/130cm max length. I will be fitting suitable bindings - i need Din 5.5-6.

Does anyone know if junior skis would be suiitable for me to use as fun skis. I not expecting to do any serious/ hard sking on them.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads.

Are you really ickle? If you are then you may get away with tiddly skis.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Every time you wear blades, God (or a similar deity of your choice) kills a kitten. FACT!

Blades are OK for training, but for real skiing, get real skis. If you like short skis, go slalom.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999 wrote:
Every time you wear blades, God (or a similar deity of your choice) kills a kitten. FACT!
True, but you forgot to mention that the kittens all belong to sweet little children who were good all year and received them as Christmas or birthday presents from their doting grandmother, to whom they were very close, who's now, sadly, passed away.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hello Kitty, welcome to snowHeads... snowHead

As you may have gathered by now - whereas people here are generally pro Skiing/Board/Telemarking - there are a lot of people here (myself included) who think that using blades/ski-boards except for training is.... a bit lame.... There are a few really pro ski-board/blades people, but none of them has yet posted a link to a video of them being used which did not look poor. [please prove me wrong btw]

Unless you really are only 4ft 4" high - why not set your sights a little bit longer?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hello Kitty, I don't think I'd go for junior skis unless you really are very light as well. Junior skis are designed for junior-sized people, so are more flexible for lighter bodies. Snowblades on the other hand were designed for adults and are stiff enough to cope with the additional forces involved.

You could look around for some adult skis of the length you are considering, or some long skiboards (snowblade is a tradename) with releasable bindings. To be honest though if you're looking for a longer ski than your current 'blades I'd recommend hiring some proper skis this next holiday and see how you get on. You could always return them for some skiboards after the first day if you don't get on with them.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all your comments.
I do rent full size skis and can ski and have done so for the last 10 years. I just enjoy a day or two on snowblades - usually the first day or 2 to get my Confidence.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hello Kitty, how tall are you - how much do you weigh?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Im 5ft 5 around 70kgs
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hello Kitty, well most children of those dimensions would be on skis rather bigger than 130. I suspect mfj197, is spot on.

Graeme may be along to give you better advice on skiboards at the longer end of the length range
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hello Kitty, One of 2 of the manafactures make 120 skis with a proper sidecut not sure which ones though.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hello Kitty wrote:
Im 5ft 5 around 70kgs

I'd go a bit bigger than junior skis meself.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you want snowblades/skiboards stick with them and buy another pair
If you want to use real skis, use skis designed for your ability, height and weight

Kids skis are for kids and not designed for 70kg!

As an aside, I disagree that snowblades/skiboards are good for learning - the allow bad habits and poor skiing which is something which no good learning tool should encourage.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hello Kitty, junior skis are not a good idea at your weight, far too soft. If you like blades you could look at Decathlon's Wedze range of short skis, about 110/120cm I think. My mate went onto those after hurting a knee on fixed-binding blades and likes them a lot.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you like blades so much, stick with blades, and if you find the fixed bindings a pain (which I did!) get some with a regular alpine binding. The Head Big Easy is such a blade.

I disagree with most of the negative comments above, although I understand why purists may not be open-minded about such things. Snow is the drug - how you choose to consume it is personal choice: it doesn't have to look pretty as long as you're having fun.

btw, if using blades does reduce the cat population then the problem is what exactly? I may get my blades out and use them more often! Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
Quote:

you could look at Decathlon's Wedze range of short skis, about 110/120cm I think.

they do two lengths of short skis - can't remember the details, I think 120 and 130, maybe. They are really nothing like blades - much more like skis. I've skied the original snowblades, and long skis, and short skis and the short skis are really pretty good. I think the Atomic ones are probably better than the Decathlon ones (that's what my local ski shop man says, anyway). Most people who decry them have, I suspect, never used them.

narc, the key bad habit which blades prevent is skiing in the back seat. On blades, you either get your weight forward, or you fall down. Another bad habit they prevent is slopping around on flat skis - because unless you get blades on edge, they shake and vibrate (a criticism often made by people who've tried them once and failed to get them onto their edges enough). Some very experienced instructors use blades to get some of these things across.

One of my gripes with blades is that they are far harder on the knees, and as my knees are rubbish I don't use them any more. But short skis are a completely different kettle of fish. Take no notice of the detractors, and ski whatever you fancy!
ski holidays
the atomic etl 123 should fit your needs
snow report
Quote:

the atomic etl 123 should fit your needs

I think those are the ones our skiman rented to my brother in law - they were a big success, as I'd been trying to get him off his snowblades (because it was a snowy week and he he was having major trouble with a snowy week and clumpy snow all over the pistes. Plus I had to try to tow him on the flats wink
snow conditions
Blades are great for training - sorts out any back seat riding.

They can be quite fun as a novelty now and again - we had a day of training on them last season. They are just so useless that you can't help but laugh all day long. We took them offpiste in some knee depth powder, everyone was trying 360's etc off the most unlikely features and invariably stacking massively - you just can't help but act like an idiot on blades, which makes them fairly hilarious for half a day or so.

I still stand by the kitten comment though.
snow conditions
With all your comments in mind i am off to my local dry slop to test out differant skis. I will keep the blades for fun!

Thanks for your help
ski holidays
Hello Kitty wrote:
... i am off to my local dry slop ...

Is that skiing on porridge? Toofy Grin

Have fun!
snow report
I'm pretty sure all the Wed'zes are 125cm.

I got a couple of the old style entry level pairs at the end of last season (twenty quid a pair, how bad can they be ?)

Binding are typically lightweight like the Look XP10, Salomon C609 or Tyrolia SL100. They will all cover your DIN setting.

No you can't use junior skis, they typically have an upper weight of 45Kg.

The Wed'zes feel pretty much like any other ski to use. Lighter, not massively sidecut, so no madly short radius carves.

The bases do see m to need waxing more often that longer skis.
snow report
Quote:

The bases do see m to need waxing more often that longer skis

I'd agree with that - but no, they're not all the same length. See http://short-ski.wedze.com/
latest report
the hardest thing about snowblading is telling your dad you're gay...............

okbye
snow report
salomon do the crossmax 120 also... and it pains me to say this but I have some in stock...think they are £199.95

Luckily I sold my sole a long time ago so this is pretty easy!
ski holidays
Good evening.
My name's Dave and I like skiing with short skis.

There. I feel better already.
snow report
snowpatrol wrote:
the hardest thing about snowblading is telling your dad you're gay...............

okbye

Laughing
latest report
pam_w,

Ah, I see they've altered them.

140 is basically a ski these days. 127 is pretty much 125.

It seems there are skiboards that are 125 in length, so it's pretty much a continuum from mini skiboards to speed skis in approximately 5cm intervals!

NOw I need someone who knows about skiboards to tell me the name of some good ones so that I can look up the UK shop that is closing down and has some on sale...

Found it!

http://www.exclaimskiboards.co.uk/exclaim-skiboards-c-8.html?zenid=9f0a9abb04236c032666bbc5139dc2d0

They have release bindings too. So 125 is a short ski or a long skiboard. Either way they fit in the back of a Corsa easier than XScreams.

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thirty06, the 125 exclaims should be very good for you, personally i would go for the summit marauder, but if you can get a deal on the exclaims then cool.
snow report
Quote:

i would go for the summit marauder

Honestly, how can you possibly maraud on soemthing like that? Laughing Laughing
latest report
Quote:

Plus I had to try to tow him on the flats

Why? Blades are a piece of p1ss to skate on.
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

i would go for the summit marauder

Honestly, how can you possibly maraud on soemthing like that? Laughing Laughing

My 4 year old is less then 125cm and he marauds regularly.
ski holidays
MazDave, that doesn't count, those creatures can maraud barefoot. Laughing
snow conditions
Lizzard, there's a Marauder for sale just near where I live, with a well looked-after end kitchen. http://www.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-adverts.showadvert/index-2000574316/a4022043.html
ski holidays
And I Quote"

Never be affraid of powder again, this is the real back country skiboard. this board is designed with no compromise.

If you need skiboards for floating in the powder, the footprint of these skiboards is perfect to get you into places you never dreamed a skiboard would take you, but you still have the ease of use that is only skiboard..."

Ohhhh dear!
latest report
pam w, the sort of people who own caravans (lovely though they are) wouldn't even know were to start with marauding. Laughing
latest report
Would I rather have Ski-Boards or a Caravan?

Well nobody would see me in the caravan. wink
latest report
All i'm going to say is having been skiing every year for around 10yrs anyone who thinks blades are for kids and traninig really needs to understand how they work. Pick a day with severe ice everywhere get your blades on and race your mate down the steepest slope and see who wins. Myself and friends use GPS and cruise at 40-50mph on our skiis all the time and trust me blades are awesome carving on ice - yes it's harder on your knees and quads but the feeling of flying past people down the steepest black icy slope is so funny. The shorter the better - it might not make sense as you have less surface area gripping the snow/ice but the shorter the blades the better they work as you can angle the edges more. My mate has one of the earlier salamon blades with fixed binding and around 65cm - stunning!!!!!

NehNeh
snow report
Ski_all_day, Welcome to snowHead 's... this could be fun....

Atomic 123's are pretty good.
Blades are blades, boards are boards, skis are skis etc.. etc...
latest report
Ski_all_day wrote:
... the shorter the blades the better they work as you can angle the edges more.

Welcome to snowHeads.

Can you explain why shorter skis allow you to get bigger edge angles?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy