Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pre-BASI training and assessment at Hemel

Poster: A snowHead
we ran this course in September and it went quite well with three snowheads in attendance. Two of which went on to to take and pass their L1 instructor course and the other deciding to go down the BASI coaching pathway.

We have had some interest in running this one again but would need 4 minimum to set a date. if any fellow snowheads are interested we can chat through dates and times.

The course is for aspirant instructors who wish to see if they are ready for BASI examination/training weeks. Pete Silver-Gillespie, Director of The Snow Centre ski school and current BASI trainer/examiner will review the group's personal skiing performance, run through exercises required to pass the L1 exams in the morning session and give you a verbal review of where you are at. Rob or Scott will be with Pete during the morning session and will then work with the group in the afternoon addressing group and individual areas for improvement. If you are contemplating trying for an instructor licence this is a great way to see if you are at or near the level required as well as being told what to expect on the BASI course. We need a minimum of five people to run this session, with a maximum of eight. Cost will be £99 This is a little bit more expensive than our regular clinics but with coaching from a BASI Trainer included for part of the day we think it's still great value for money.

If you're interested please visit our website or post here.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 30-11-09 13:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Minor clarification, skimottaret: I did my L1 coach a year before that day with you Wink .

To anyone interested, or even vaguely thinking about doing an instructor course, it's well worth while (and as well as the 2 hours video feedback, I got 9 hours on the snow to boot). Do wrap up warm though - discussing technique/demos etc does involve quite a bit of standing around.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
GrahamN, i was editing that just as you posted, sorry it wasnt clear.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret, As discussed, I would be keen but not sure if I am quite ready to do the BASI Level 1 so this course might come to soon for me prior to attempting my Level 1. I am certainly keen to do this at some stage though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Touchguru, i am thinking no earlier that feb for this course and you may be ready for a review by that point. will definately keep you posted.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
what dates are you thinking as I might book my husband in.....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fizz, just trying to gauge interest at this point, once we have enough numbers we can float dates by everyone.

we can be quite flexible but during the winter season a weekday would probably be best.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm definitely interested but it would depend upon the date.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am interested. As long as it is not the first week in February than I should be free. I am not sure I am at the BASI L1 level yet, but would be keen to know how far off that I am. I am hoping to take my BASI L1 sometime next year, depending on my progress.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fantastic to hear there is some interest, if we get a few more we can start to look at dates.
So far

fizz
johnnyh
touchguru
Elston
Carettam
Maria Stella
John S (non snowhead)
gryfon
Sleipner
Timberwolf (doubtful for weekday course)

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 3-02-10 17:04; edited 4 times in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I may be interested but as always it will depend on the date - so a possible maybe.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnnyh, nice one, i am going to Solden tomorrow and will be out of touch for a while but will check with Pete Gillespie to get his availability and post a few options mid month.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would be interested.

Away from mid December till the new year. Will catch up with things then.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
couple more interested parties

Sleipner
Timberwolf
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just a quick bump to revive this thread. We are looking to confirm a date shortly for this course, hopefully mid to late April. We have quite a few names already so I hope we can run at least one other course later in the year as well as the one we're planning in April. It might be necessary to run the course on a weekday due to diary constraints on the BASI Trainer we will use. Can anyone who is interested let us know if you want to join the course, and if weekdays are possible or impossible for you.
ski holidays
we now have enough interest and have set a provisional date of tuesday 11 May with Pete Silver Gillespie.
snow conditions
Hi skimottaret, hope you're well ? - I explained to rob@rar this morning that it may well be difficult for me to make a weekday. It's probably best to take me off the interested list in case it affects any decision you make on running the course. There seemed to be some confusion between this course and the race coach course....I will of course keep watching this space, and if I can make it I'll let you know.......
snow conditions
Timberwolf, i am a bit busy at the moment with some family matters but well enough.... we can take you off sorry to hear you cant make it. the weekday is the only option for pete and he had a strong preference for a weekday when the slope is quieter which is fair enough . the coach course is separate from this one and is almost full now. we are running it in april on a weekend as a fair few are already booked onto the full basi course a few weeks later.
ski holidays
the 11th of may is now firm and we have a couple booked already
snow conditions
Does one really need to have an interest in becoming an instructor to do this, or is it more a day of analysis and suggestions about what to work on to improve? I fancy doing it but don't want to waste anyone's time (or my money!).
latest report
RachelQ, that's EXACTLY the question I was too shy to put myself!
ski holidays
Hurtle, Laughing I did think about sending a PM so not everyone could see my question Blush and then thought not many people might read it anyway in Bend ze Knees, and then thought what the hell!
latest report
Clang, grind, whirrrh, went RachelQ's brain! Laughing
ski holidays
RachelQ, Hurtle, Your high end skiing is good enough for entry level for L1 Instructor already, Do you want to perfect snowplough and plough-parallel turns. If so take the course, if not spend the money elsewhere. Without an interest in doing the instructor course, I'd spend the time and money elsewhere.
As always, my opinion only.
latest report
Spyderman wrote:
RachelQ, Hurtle, Your high end skiing is good enough for entry level for L1 Instructor already, Do you want to perfect snowplough and plough-parallel turns. If so take the course, if not spend the money elsewhere. Without an interest in doing the instructor course, I'd spend the time and money elsewhere.
As always, my opinion only.

I agree. If you are interested in learning about and doing some ski teaching it would be a useful day as you would get a head-start on the BASI Central Theme (progression from plough to parallel) as I did before I did the L1 Alpine course.
latest report
Spyderman, rob@rar, thanks, folks. Not - tbh - desperately interested in s'plough and plough-parallel turns* and I would make a truly terrible ski instructor, irrespective of my skiing ability! Embarassed

*though I'm looking forward to finding out a bit more about the 'situational stem' mentioned on another thread. Sounds like a great get-out-of-jail card.
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
*though I'm looking forward to finding out a bit more about the 'situational stem' mentioned on another thread. Sounds like a great get-out-of-jail card.

It is a useful thing when on steep terrain, but kind of difficult to see the utility of it when you're on a relatively gentle slope like the one we have at Hemel. I'll try to think of a way to increase the apparent difficulty so the turn makes a bit more sense.
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:

Anytime you're around just collar me and I'll show you.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar,
Quote:

I'll try to think of a way to increase the apparent difficulty

Oh dear, that sounds ominous. Laughing
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
It is a useful thing when on steep terrain, but kind of difficult to see the utility of it when you're on a relatively gentle slope like the one we have at Hemel. I'll try to think of a way to increase the apparent difficulty so the turn makes a bit more sense.

[FX: Evil laugh]
Ski with eyes closed and make the turn.
ski holidays
Yeah, well, QED eh?! Laughing Laughing

Edit: I'm thinking of wearing a helmet on Saturday. Toofy Grin
latest report
Thanks guys. Smile That's answered that then. I'll have a look at your timetable Scott and see what other dates work.

I've not read the thread about the situational stem, but I think I do it already as a kind of get out of trouble move, or how to start a turn somewhere steep when I'm a bit nervous of committing. If that's what it is, actually I do it too much and am trying to stop.
latest report
We currently have 4 bookings for this course (on the 11th May), so 6 spaces available. If anyone is considering starting BASI alpine instructor exams this is a good way to get feedback on whether you are the right standard to start the process as well as the opportunity for some focused training.
ski holidays
Four places left for this course on 11th May.
latest report
RobRar

I am interested in attending the course (not sure if I am of the required standard but feel that I would definetely benefit from the training and feedback)

Please advise what I have to do to sign up

Thanks
ski holidays
valleyboy, the booking page for our pro development courses is at http://www.insideoutskiing.com/prodevbooking.html To book a place on the course select the training day on the 11th of May and this will take you to a payment page where you pay be credit card.
snow report
Two places now available on this course.
snow report
Just one place remaining.
snow report
Course now full.
ski holidays
yikes we may have to run another one wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy