Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can I take an ABS avalanche backpack to Canda with Thomas Cook charter flights?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just wondering if anyone out there has taken an ABS avalanche airbag to Canada - flying with Thomas Cook to Calgary. I've taken it to Europe a number of times & even the USA, but only on major airlines. At check-in I usually get a very worried face from the crew when I explain I've packed a compressed nitrogen cylinder & an explosive trigger in my luggage! At US immigration they even questioned me to see if I'd made the ABS myself (Only Americans) I was actually quite flattered! But they've always been fine once they read the paper work.

Now I know that I should technically ask the airline for permission in advance, but following the old adage ' Its easier to ask for forgiveness, than permission' I've just turned up with it in the past. So...................... has anyone been on TC airlines with one?

Thanks,

James
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd say ask them - even if they say no, you can deny all knowledge of the request and seek forgiveness. If they say yes, get a written confirmation.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jamesSKI, Hi James, if you have a copy of the correct paper work you should be OK, I would always say better to show that you have all the correct paper work and are being up front about it. The correct paper work can be found on www.abs-airbag.com go to the service section and click on ABS carry on info section.
Hope you have a good trip to Canada
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have been trying to find Info on taking ABS into the USA but have totally lucked out
Are you saying it is OK to take European ABS into the USA so long as you inform the Airline

Do you need to inform the Transport Safety Agency?

Jezmd
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jezmd, Welcome to Snowheads,
Quote:

Are you saying it is OK to take European ABS into the USA so long as you inform the Airline

Yes its fine as long as you inform the airline that your traveling with an "avalanche rescue backpack" do this via email at least 2 weeks prior to travel and then print a copy of the email you get back and take it with you, along with 2 copies of the IATA regs, one copy with airbag and the other with you.

Allow extra time for checkin, as you may get a call to outsize luggage to explain the airbag. DO NOT try and take on as hand luggage, whatever the regs say.

If you need more info just give me a call anytime
Toofy Grin well not to late
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Have you taken ABS to America - We had a reply from the US embassy in UK stating that compressed gas cannisters can only be taken by registered couriers

Jezmd
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You are not allowed to travel to or from America with ABS canisters. Not even empty ones. I read everything and filed everything 2 weeks ahead of time. But the TSA says that if they cannot see the bottom of the canister in order to check if it's empty. They will take it. Regardless of the fact that it's IATA approved. (This does not cover America and Canada) It is not allowed to be brought on any airplane traveling in the states. So even sending it is prohibited according to the TSA supervisor at Jackson Hole airport.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/compressed_gas.shtm

They also said that they will clarify these rules as he admitted that it's not very easy to understand that IATA and TSA have different opinions about the issue.

You might be lucky, but you might also loose it. (I myself was lucky since I could leave the cylinder over there at a mates place to use next time I go) But it get's expensive in the long run when you have to place cylinders on every resort you plan to visit. ABS should really have a rental deal with resorts. So you just return the cylinder when you are done skiing....

//Daniel
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cHRNO, Interesting post you may have seen the thread about flyng with avalanche rescue backpacks here http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=72233
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
livetoski: No, thanks for giving me the link. To add some things (That I will also add to the other thread) the TSA officer said that it was perfectly fine to bring the handle into my carry on. Without any further questions.. I asked and said what it was but that didn't seem to matter. Only problem was the cylinder.

The land of double morale anyone?...

//Daniel
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy