Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Porte du Soleil black runs

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

We are off to Ardent (Morzine) for Christmas snowHead

On our last trip, I did a couple of the easier blacks and was more or less fine, so I want to do more of course but I need to avoid the more extreme ones and any moguls.

Is there any sort of gradation of the blacks in PdS, or is anyone able to suggest a few of the easier blacks to give a go and some that I should definitelt avoid Shocked

Cheers,

Simon.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
simonx, Avoid the Swiss Wall if you don't like steep mogulled blacks.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Conditions vary quite a lot on the Wall, I'd give it a go if its not too icy, bumpy or busy which you can just about see before commiting to.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Avoid the Swiss Wall if you don't like steep mogulled blacks

+ 1

On my last trip to PdS I stood at the top of the wall debating whether to do it - in the end I got the chair-lift down (big old scaredy-cat, aren't I!).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

in the end I got the chair-lift down (big old scaredy-cat, aren't I!).

I did too. and was glad I had because the snow conditions were really rubbish - very, very, bare with lots of rocks. It wasn't very mogully - I don't think there was enough snow for big moguls! Most of the people skiing down looked like they were having no fun at all and several looked like they definitely shouldn't have tried - the chances of somebody who shouldn't be there falling above you and careering down the slope must be quite high, even if you're managing it OK yourself. In good snow it would be a different story, I guess.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
simonx, very few of the PDS blacks are consistently pisted - they're all usually left to mogul. They do, though, seem to have gotten into the habit of pisting one or more of the blacks in the Les Gets bowl on a Thursday evening - so that the ESF instructors can "do a black" with their groups on a Friday. (Cynical, moi?!)

As above - avoid the Swiss Wall.

The Coupe du Monde in the Hauts Forts sector of Avoriaz isn't usually too bad and has the benefit of being generally underused.

There is a very steep red called Rhododendrons that drops down in Plane Dranse. The top 200-300m are certainly worthy of being called a "black". It is very steep at the top. But always pisted. And you can walk the 150m back up the track if you don't like the look of it. It is also usually very quiet as it's not obvious to to get to it...

From the top of the Ardent bubble take the Chaux Fleurie chair. At the top of that chair turn left and aim for the top of the chair on the ridge. Once you get by the top of the chair on the ridge you'll see a track along the ridge. Follow that and turn right after 150m down the obvious piste.

Another good, steep, sustained red is the Linga piste - down to Linga (near Chatel).

From there I'd suggest moving onto the "Snow Cross" bumps under the Fornet chair.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks folks, especially FlyingStantoni - getting excited now I shall have to download a piste map to study!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Take a trip up to the wall and as Frosty, says commit or not when you have surveyed it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
simonx, I'd second FlyingStantoni's, Coupe du Monde recommendation, especially in the morning before too many have been on it. As the names suggests it's the old World Cup run and I love it! Good hangover cure of a morning I often find...!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
another surprise was trying to edge to see the bottom of Boquetin from the top - on Mont Chery and deserted (couldve been a reason for this) with huge moguls. Top 50 metres was as bad as The Wall. I did both cos i was on a black run ticking mission. Absolutely must do black on Chamoissiere chair on Nyon - i did it rep[eatedly with a big grin and the view from the top was cliched, but AWESOME!!! If i knew how to upload photos i would
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
simonx, avoid the "new" one in Torgon. From your description, you won't like it.

Although bumpy, if you want to practise bumps, you can't go far wrong with the top section of Renard (Linga).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bitoffluff, seconded re Bouquetin. Took me years before I finally cracked it, now it's just a test to see how I'm doing that week. But yes, the inital drop is erm, discouraging. Shocked
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thanks for the good info everyone ... any further PdS black run info appreciated Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's a good long black run called Les Renards near Plaine Dranse which gets very mogully - I remember it being pretty hard work although I've not been back there for a few years now. You can see most of it from the chair on the way up to see what it's like.
Avorinet.com says
Quote:
For bumps try the black run Les Renards closer to Plaine Dranse which is accessed via the TS de la Chaux-Rosées. This is a wide, mostly, and very long run of varying gradient – super steep in places. Best of all is that the moguls are such that you can get a nice rhythm going.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
"super steep in places" & "mogully" ..... that's the type I need to avoid!
snow report
simonx, there's quite an easy, and very hidden, black run from the top of the bubble station above Chatel (Linga) to the bottom. As you ski down the Linga as per Mr Stantoni's suggestion bear lift after the bottom of the first chair. It isn't steep and has nice small bumps. Also the back of Mont Chery is fine, except the Bouquetin; a great run but perhaps not for you.
There's even a token black on the front of Pleney, very short and pisted nearly always.
Then there's the mini wall which is in Les Crosets and runs from the top of the very slow two man chair that runs towards Linderet. At least I think it's still a black, always used to be.
You could try Combette, starts halfway down the Arare, not steep but bumpy.
To avoid, Machon, next to the world cup run. One of the best black runs I have skiied anywhere and more difficult than the wall IMO.
snow conditions
zzz, Agree, I find the Combe du Machon much harder than the wall! It is the view I get every morning in resort looking out the balcony. In the summer when you can actually see the gradient it scares me. Not as long as the wall, but well and truly a "brown" run!
snow conditions
I did a load of nice Black runs on the steep hill just across from Avoriaz.
Interactive map http://www.avoriaz.com/station-alpes-france/modules/plan-des-pistes/index.php?lg=uk
says one is called Crozats, all from the Secours lift.

I went down the Swill Wall in 2008. Conditions were really good though. At that time I'd never fallen down a steep run so was ignorant of the risks. Since then I've slid all the way down a steep run on my back, so maybe wouldn't be so keen now.
ski holidays
tomstickland, The Combe du Machon is to small one on the left of the three you are refferring to! Short in length but steep, steep, steep!
snow report
Roy Hockley, combe du Machon is not that short... Lovely bumps.
ski holidays
under a new name, Well it is compared to Coupe du Monde and Crozats, but it is steep (or have I already said that!!! wink )
latest report
Roy Hockley, oh ok then, but only if you're including the lower section of Crozats.... wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy