Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz - 2nd week in Jan

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi snowHead 's,

Well after going skiing last season for the first time in years (a fantastic week in Meribel in spite of me missing a day's skiing due to norovirus!) I'm well and truly hooked again, so am finding myself about to book another January trip.

Have pretty much settled on Avoriaz, it seems to have a good combination of altitude, snow record, number of runs for intermediates (we'd get a PdS pass), ski-in ski-out and transfer time from Geneva. We're not looking for a big party town either so limited apres ski isn't an issue.

Its just 2 of us and we want to go self catering to keep the cost down. I've been slightly frustrated to find that all the accommodation the TO's have on their books for Avoriaz seem to charge a supplement if there are only two of you (they seem to think that 4 ought to share a tiny studio!). I get the impression that accommodation in Avoriaz is a bit of a monopoly so our choices seem quite limited. Is that other people's experience, or does anyone have any advice on places I might be missing?

Otherwise we are looking at about £360 each for a week s/c (including flights and transfers) which I guess isn't too bad...

Also if anyone has any advice on Avoriaz in general, particularly good places to hire skis or a nice bar to try that would be great!

Many thanks (and happy skiing!).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mattgcp, there'll be plenty of apartments you can rent direct, rather than through a TO - paying a fixed price for the apartment, regardless of how many are in it. However, if you books flights and accommodation separately you will have to get yourselves to Avoriaz - and transfers are always quite expensive, no matter how you do it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hiMattgcp, i ended up going out to avoriaz on my own last year due to several reasons. i had the same problem, i looked at staying at the bottom of the cable car that goes up to avoriaz, les prodains i think its called. the accomodation was in your price range and it almost ski in-out. In the end i actually ended up staying elsewhere in a catered chalet due to the fact i was on my own and wanted to meet up with other people. i paid £400 for accomadation in a chalet, hot tub, lovely food and a free bar which is a bonus. it was one of the nicest chalets i have ever stayed in, worth a look and they drop you off and pick you up at he lifts each day. its called Chalet Jules ---http://www.ouiski.co.uk/chalet_jules.php the owner is called roger, a really nice guy. just say to him your budget and he will try to sort you out. This may play to your advantage as mid jan it will be dead there like last year. Also where they drop you off at in a morning (ardent lift) gives the best access to the whole of the portes du soleil. Any further questions just give us a shout and i will try my best to help, cheers rick
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mattgcp, if you are finding accom a bit tricky to get for your price/numbers in Avoriaz you could stay in Morzine which is in the same region and will have a cheaper transfer too. When I have stayed in Morzine I normally jump on the bus to the base of the lifts serving Avoriaz every other day just to break it up a bit.

Maybe try posting a request in the solutions room for Avoriaz accom on chalets direct http://www.chaletsdirect.com/forum/category-view.asp and see if any one can help you
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Pam. I get the impression that there might not be much scope for further savings if we try to do it all independently (although perhaps that is just me being defeatist/lazy!)

Normally when I go on holiday I wouldn't dream of booking through a TO, but for some reason with this ski trip I'm feeling more inclined to let someone else take responsibility for getting us to/from the airport and resort! I'm just slightly irritated that although some of the hotels in Avoriaz apparently have rooms that are meant for no more than 2 people, the only ones the TO's seem to offer are for 2-4, and so attract these b*&^%dy supplements!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Rick, Ray - thanks very much for the responses, I will do a bit more research into your suggestions.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mattgcp, Book your flights now to GVA.

Accommodation. Contact www.avoriaz-holidays.com ask for Valentina she will help you out. Tell her if you want I told you about them. If it is just the two of you a studio would be ideal although the French have a sense of humour when it comes to size of apartments!!

Transfers can be done with fellow snowHead s Try Dallypaul and Morzexpress

This will work out the best for you and as you are going in a cheap week you should easily get a deal with accommodation. All depends on what you can get your flights for!

Good luck and keep us informed!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy