Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much of race technique is exclusive to racing?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My point above, about the reason for turning, and it being obvious why a racer turns was this: The requirement of of a racing turn decides what is a good turn. It includes keeping accelerating whenever possible. But if someone else has a different requirement, is what is a good turn necessarily the same?
I am merely raising the question; I don't know the answer.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowball, There are racing turns which are necessary to control or even reduce speed as well as turns which build or maintain speed.
So in the winter a whole two hour session can be spent practicing skidding. !! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think the essence of this thread is that no one strand of skiing has pre-eminence over any other, be that racing, bumps, off piste or whatever the other one is. Toofy Grin Some enjoy high/low level off piste more than high/low level piste and some vice versa etc.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 3-12-09 19:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well sure, I'd drink to that.
However I remember a friend of mine doing the SCGB piste test for the gold level badge. She was failed because one (yes just one) of her turns wasn't carved. There was an assumption there that only a carved turn could be a good turn and nobody asked if she had meant to not carve that turn.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowball, yep, a precisely steered skidded turn (getting range, rate, distribution, duration and blend of steering elements right) can be much more difficult to perform than a carved turn
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball,

Quote:

It includes keeping accelerating whenever possible

I would say that acceleration - whilst desirable, comes a long, long way second to skiing a good line and staying in the course. You can't win if you ski out !

And, assuming you were learning to accelerate - that's mostly about maintaining balance along the length of the ski - which is a skill you also use in (for instance) skiing breakable crust - in the case where you have no choice but to break through...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowball, Don't know when that was, but all the french juniors I know ski off piste a lot because it helps balance and reactions, and is fun! Perhaps that's why we're not doin gso well?? OTOH it may have been a while ago, but I know that Jess is still at it.

horizon, You certainly skied better than that when you were here - much more graceful, if a bit old fashioned. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, Jess told me that in 97.

Not typical of Horizon then - that was 05 and he has been more fluent and stylish every year since. (Embarassed < OK Cedric, I have done your blushes so you are spared having to do them.)

We must have a thousand photos of us skiing off piste but that was the only occasion any have been taken on piste (we had just come from climbing out of a very interesting canyon).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
T Bar, I'm away for two weeks in January, so I probably won't catch up with you at Bellahouston until February. hope that you enjoy race training.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ayrshire Andy, Cheers
Hope I can get there, just knackered my back and not walking properly yet. Still should be OK for Jan.
If you are off skiing have a good time. snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy