Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What skis to buy???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Folks,

I am thinking about buying some skis but don’t really have a clue what to look for. I am not even sure if it is worth my while in terms of cost but have read lots of posts talking about the benefits of owning your own skis and I think I am getting swayed that way.

I am about 5ft 11, weigh 75kg’s and am fairly fit and active. I am not sure what you would class my skiing ability as, I am guessing the middle to upper end of intermediate. I can get down almost everything and got the carving going over my last 2/3 trips.

In terms of what I ski, well that’s very much dependant on who I am out with and the conditions. If it has just dumped then I love messing about off-piste in the pow but also love a bit a speed and ripping up the red’s and blacks. I like hitting a few small jumps but am shocking when it comes to landing them (the same can be said for moguls). I have no aspirations for getting into the park though!

I have been skiing for about 5 years and try to get as many trips as possible. This year I have Avoriaz booked for Jan, just about to book the 3 V’s in March and will try and squeeze in a couple more days just before the seasons ends in April.

So the million dollar question… should I buy some skis? And if so what sort of a ski should I be looking for? I am guessing all mountain? Can anyone recommend any brands?

Thanks in anticipation for your wisdom and thoughts.

Bye
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i give it 10 minutes before someone tells you to buy boots first (expensively fitted by an expert of course!) rolling eyes rolling eyes

Any skis you've already been on on hols or whatever might be a good place to start in terms of getting a general idea for yourself of what you might buy, and if you're getting 3 trips in this season, maybe buy a pair out there during one of the trips (you might get a deal or two late in the season)

personally, I like Movement & Volkl skis, but everyone will have differing likes (that will probably change over time anyways!)

good luck!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

i give it 10 minutes before someone tells you to buy boots first (expensively fitted by an expert of course!)

Fear not... the boots were purchased two seasons ago and worth every penny and then some Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I asked almost the same question last week Very Happy (http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=57392) Very Happy

the list I assembled was....deep breath..:

Rossignol Bandit
Head Peak 82/ monster im82
Movement spark
Scott Aztecs
K2 apache recon
Volkl AC30
Dynastar Sultan 80 or 85
Fischer Watea 78 or 84
Salomon Tornado

all these could do the job for you but a demo is essential is the advice I have received and am acting on...

good luck
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
barry wrote:
personally, I like Movement & Volkl skis, but everyone will have differing likes !

Dynastar legends or the new Sultans. Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
barry wrote:
i give it 10 minutes before someone tells you to buy boots first (expensively fitted by an expert of course!) rolling eyes rolling eyes

Puzzled

Fitting's free.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try everything spannershy said, I also vote for the Dynastar Legends or Sultans, in my view the Sultan 85 is probably the highest performing all mountain ski available, maybe you would prefer the softer Sultan 80's. Don't rule out last years Legend 8000's though, they're a cracking ski, I used them as my teaching/psite ski last season, but have now upgraded to the Sultan 85's via warranty issues.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the responses folks. Will start having a wee looksie at what you have suggested but just one more question.

What length of ski should I be looking at?

I am now kicking myself for not paying more attention in the hire shops because I never thought to note what make/model the ski is that I have hired Embarassed
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Minimum 170, upto 185ish depending on how you like your turns...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sunshine81, Liberty Helix (in a 176) ?

I have some for sale in the Buy/Sell area if you're interested.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd recommend the Nordica Hot Rod series (I have the Nitrous and they handle pretty much everything). Also tried the Dynastar Contact 4x4s this season and they're awesome.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy