Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who are the top ten all time best British ski racers?

Poster: A snowHead
nbt, that list was just Olympics, not WC. That 2nd is obviously the best individual result in alpine racing (excluding speed skiing Wink ).

For WC standings, this FIS page gives filtered output for overall standings, year by year, but there doesn't seem to be a way for looking at tabulated historical individual performances grouped by nationality.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GrahamN, thanks for clarifying, I did wonder Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If we are going for ´future´talent, then its Ed Drake, check out the amount fo WC guys he beat at Reiteralm earlier this month. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
....Don't forget Dave "Rocket" Ryding for future talent!!! Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Smokin Joe wrote:
Sean Rose
What about David Lilly? He finished 5th in the 1987 Austrian Champs...with a start number of 227!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As this thread has recently been bumped, I just thought I'd mention that the first Wengen Lauberhorn combined (ie downhill and slalom) winner in 1930 was Bill Bracken . Unfortunately, the British haven't been too successful in the Lauberhorn races since then. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd say Divina Galicia, She competed in the Winter Olympics for Britain in 1964 in Innsbruck, in 1968 in Grenoble and in 1972 in Sapporo, and in the latter two occasions was the captain of the British team, furthermore she returned to the Winter Olympics in 1992 and competed for Britain in the speed skiing event. She held the British Speed Skiing Record of 125mph from 1995 until 2007 when it was broken by just 1mph by Caitlin Tovar who sadly died just a couple of days later, Divina managed 2 World Cup Podiums in Downhill plus 6 DH top 10's, 9 GS Top 10's and even a Slalom top 10, In The winter Olympics in Grenoble in 1968 she managed a very creditable 8th in GS, at the World Championships in 1970 she managed a 10th place also in GS and in 1972 at Sapporo she managed to achive 7th in GS and 15th in Slalom.

By the way her best year was probably 1968 where the FIS ranked her 11th overall female skier, 6th in DH and 10th in GS
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
and after that (or perhaps at the same time) she drove race cars to a very high standard, driving then current F1 cars against the then F! drivers, but in non championship FIA sanctioned races....quite a gal!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rungsp, and then a career in truck racing...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
and didn't she have a go at land speed record once? Or am I imagining that?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Emily Sarsfield ... seems like she may be one to watch!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
letelemarker, fingers crossed Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think Emily was the first ever British female skier to win a Europa Cup... Not bad going!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
letelemarker, good luck to her but you're getting carried away - she finished 32nd in the world last year in skier cross. There were only 45 skiers ranked.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
She finished 14th in World Cup last season
ski holidays
letelemarker, no 32nd. She did finish 14th in a World Cup race (Grindelwald) and she was 19th in the World Championships. Currently ranked 30th on the FIS points list for skier cross.
snow report
A 14th finish in World Cup is a good result in my eyes!
snow report
Alain Baxter but for a levo rotated bloody inhaler would have won an olympic medal, slalom where turns count and he was the best Brit I've ever seen turn a ski.
snow report
Some stats on British xc skiers in the olympics. The best (on % behind winner) is our present leading xc skier Andrew Musgrave, with Andrew Young in 8th place who is probably our no 2 xc skier at the moment. Which makes Mussy our best xc skier ever.

Olympics Year Athlete Distance Style Time Time behind % behind Rank of winner winner British Olympians
Vancouver 2010 Andrew Musgrave 15k Free 36:32.4 02:56.1 8.73% 1
Calgary 1988 John Spotswood 15k Classic 45:47.3 04:28.4 10.83% 2
Vancouver 2010 Andrew Musgrave 1.5k Sprint Classic 03:58.4 00:23.9 11.12% 3
Vancouver 2010 Andrew Musgrave 30k Pursuit 24:07.9 08:56.5 11.89% 4
Albertville 1992 Dave Belam 25k Pursuit 13:48.0 08:10.2 12.45% 5
Squaw Val 1960 John Moore 15k Classic 58:35.0 06:39.5 12.82% 6
Sarajevo 1984 Mark Moore 30k Classic 40:22.2 11:25.9 12.85% 7
Vancouver 2010 Andrew Young 1.5k Sprint Classic 04:02.2 00:27.6 12.87% 8
Albertville 1992 Dave Belam 30k Classic 33:15.6 10:47.8 13.09% 9
Sarajevo 1984 John Spotswood 15k Classic 46:53.7 05:28.1 13.20% 10
ski holidays
So much for the table code!!
ski holidays
Alain Baxter
latest report
Surely for consistency it has to be Martin Bell. Can you imagine us having a downhill racer at the moment constantly pushing for top 10 places ?
latest report
It must be Esme Mackinnon she won gold in both the Slalom and Downhill events at FIS Alpine World Ski Championships Toofy Grin
ski holidays
livetoski, in 1931 but, yeah.
ski holidays
I think David Ryding has a lot of potential
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy