Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt skiing - too tough for kids?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi - we are in Cervinia next weekend where, by all accounts, there is some skiing but limited due to the time of the year. Shame, as we went a few years back and enjoyed the long, easy blues for confidence boosting.

Our kids are 6 and 10 and completely fine on blues and not too shabby on reds as well although probably better off on less steep. If we venture over the top to the top part of Zermatt are we biting off a lot?

Also, arent they just drags and T's?

All inpuits welcome.

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peter Leuzzi, They would be able to cope with the runs at the top as their is nothing that steep. You're right that all the lifts at the top are drags and T's, but you can ski down to Trockener Steg to catch the Cable car or a chair. You will need to take a drag back up to get back to Cervinia though.

Edit: Thinking back I think you can ski back to Cervinia from the top of the cable car from Trockener Steg, rather than taking the drag.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
geepee, thanks. Assuming we did everything you have said skiing down to the Trockener Steg (BTW - will that all be open?) is the final drag back a poma or a T? Long? Tough? Steep?

Are the T's and drags up there easy and not energy taxing? I kind of assume that as its a glacier it won't be all too steep.

Sorry about all the questions, but rather know now rather than have a cheerful surprise there!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter Leuzzi,
The T- bars are very long but not difficultor steep. I think they are all t's rather than pomas. You do have to be aware of the weather, it can get very cold and windy up there you really are at altitude. In my experience this is likely to be more of a problem for most than difficulty with the tows or slopes.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter Leuzzi, The cable car will be open if the glacier at the top is open as it's the only way up to the top from Zermatt. I noticed on the website today that the top lifts aren't open today, must be due to the weather.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Thinking back I think you can ski back to Cervinia from the top of the cable car from Trockener Steg, rather than taking the drag

anybody verify this? I can't make that out on the Piste Map. How would you do it?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Peter Leuzzi, I'm pretty sure there is a red and a blue from the top of the cable car across to Plateau Rosa/Testa Grigia which is the crossing point back to Cervinia. I'm sure someone will be along soon to verify.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You don't have to use those T Bars at all. There is a chair gives access to much of the glacier area and return to Cervinia can be made via the cable car. I pretty much skied all of Zermatt last February and didn't use a T Bar once. I also had a couple of trips over to Cervinia, again without using a T Bar.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Colin B, good stuff. You must have done Ventina then? How tough is that? I know its long but is it a steep one/tricky one at all for the kids?

Are the reds on the Zermatt side near the top crossing tough? If there is anything to avoid it'd be good to know in advance.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Peter Leuzzi, Can't remember using that one. I think I entered Switzerland on the Testa Grigia Run which was pretty gentle. That takes you onto some of the main glacier runs down to Trockner Stegg or you can branch left down towards Furgg. I can't remember any being particularly steep. Entering Italy from the cable car I think it was via the Matterhorn glacier paradise run. Remember it is very high up though (highest piste skiing in Europe) and can be very cold and windy. My 13 year old daughter found the near -30C a bit challenging last February.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Peter Leuzzi

There are 2 ways you can get to Zermatt from Cervinia: the first is by using a series of 3 chairlifts from Plan Maison, just above Cervinia; the second is by taking a gondola from Plan Maison and then a cable car. Both routes drop you on the glacier that leads down to Trockner Steg in Zermatt. Using the chairlift route, there's a rather narrow steep shute that you need to take to get onto the glacier which your kids may find a bit tricky. The cable car route is fine - gentle all the way down to Trocknersteg. You do need to be careful though if it's misty on the top as it's easy to get lost.

As has been said already, there are chairlifts on the Zermatt side as well as T bars (which are not steep).

Getting back from Trocknersteg to Cervinia, you can use 2 very long but gentle T-bars to take you back to the border, or take the stunning cable car to Klein Matterhorn. It's almost 4000m so you may feel a bit dizzy walking through the tunnel from the cable car to the piste. From there it's a slightly steep but very wide red down to Testa Grigia on the Italian side (this is the sumer ski area) from where you have a choice of the Ventina run or the route via Plan Maison. The Ventina is a great run - red all the way; a little steep perhaps at the top but again very wide. People in my party who were early intermediates coped with it fine.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peter Leuzzi, just wanted to add that the Klein Matterhorn cable car can close in high winds, if it does then you will have to return via the 2 Tbars which as others have said are long but really gentle.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Everything at Zermatt will be fine for them, given 'not too shabby on reds' being true.

All the serious stuff is yellow 'itineraires'. The black runs there aren't as hard as they make out (except by virtue of being quite busy in a few cases). You'll be fine.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pjd,
Quote:

The Ventina is a great run - red all the way; a little steep perhaps at the top but again very wide

Have you by chance skied 3V's. If so, what would Ventina compare with?

Am getting the impression the kids will be fine thanks to everyones comments and feedback.

Quote:

From there it's a slightly steep but very wide red down to Testa Grigia on the Italian side (this is the sumer ski area) from where you have a choice of the Ventina run or the route via Plan Maison

Whats steeper - Ventina or the former?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Peter Leuzzi

It's a while since I've been to 3V but the Ventina from memory the Ventina is a bit like a long version of the Creux run down from Vizelle . I'd say that both the Ventina and the run down from Klein Matterhorn are 'average reds'. Just watch the weather conditions: the top of Klein Matterhorn is not a nice place if it's freezing and windy.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy