Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

e s f

Poster: A snowHead
hi new to the forum just wandering if anyone knows about e s f les arcs 180 level 4 lessons i have been skiing about15 times so i can take on most pistes well but i am wanting to try some off piste just wandered if the level 4 lessons would do that .i do not rearly want to do private lessons as it works out very expensive when on your own thanks charlie Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you can, I'd try and source a qualified British instructor-if there's one in Les Arcs 1800 (haven't been in about 20 years).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Little Angel are british ski instructors better than french e s f instructors arpart from the laungue barrier
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
charlie26 wrote:
Little Angel are british ski instructors better than french e s f instructors arpart from the laungue barrier

Most certainly not,Only the red is recognized and to be to be taken seriously in France wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
charlie26, There's a lot of snobbiness about ESF with some horror stories doing the rounds of rude French instructors skiing away from ridiculously over-sized groups etc.

For what it's worth i've had private lessons with them in a number of resorts over the years and have always found them excellent.
Last season we went to Courchevel and were told by the holiday rep to avoid them like the plague because of the over-sized groups. On my advice my mate who was an absolute beginner had lessons with them anyway and ended up in a HUGE group of 3! And was skiing black runs by the end of the week and couldn't stop raving about his instructors.

I can't comment on the Les Arcs one or the particular lessons your looking at but based on my experiences i think they are a decent ski school with decent instructors. No doubt somebody will be along to contradict me soon snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fastandicy,
That ESF have a lot of very good instructors is something that I agree with, I have had some great lessons with the ESF as well. Unfortunately I don't think that complaints about group size are just from anti ESF snobs. Clearly there are variations in practice from resort to resort but seeing groups of 10-12 and sometimes higher is commonplace.
The stories of them abandoning skiers are rare, but they have been reported by too many people including friends of mine to be dismissed entirely as hearsay.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
T Bar, agreed.
I'm not meaning to say that these incidents have never happened but i tend to go on my own experience of a company and i have always found them excellent. I think for an organisation of that size operating in that enviroment the fact that complaints are rare is a measure of how good they are.
As i said, this opinion is based only on my own experience. As a wise man once said "Opinions are like back bottoms. Everyones got one and they all stink" Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have only good things to say about them. Taught me to ski, within my second day of snow I was doing a basic form of parralel turning.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ESF groups in school holidays (kids groups particularly) routinely have 12 people. That's a fact. However, in quieter times you may well have a much smaller group. All their instructors are excellent technical skiers and many of them will also be good instructors. It's a bit "luck of the draw" but if you are an advanced skier you are much less likely to find yourself in a big group. Telephone the ski school, tell them what you want to do, and ask what they suggest. Bear in mind, though, that if your fellow pupils are French then the instructor will spend most of his/her time speaking French. Fair enough, really. The only time I've had a private off piste lesson with an ESF instructor I think his English was probably marginally better than mine. wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think it depends on what type of learner you are and what type of instructor you get. If you are young and fit you'd probably be fine with ESF. I had very good adult group lessons from ESF in Vallandry (half term Feb 0Cool - they assigned two instructors to the beginner group of about 15 or so people. We stayed together for day one and then split with the instructors deciding on who was in which group. The only problem was that the instructors had absolutely NO idea why anyone might find skiing difficult, because neither of them could remember learning - they were both plonked on skis as soon as they could stand up. This meant they had limited patience with older or less fit learners and one lady was dropped from my group mid week because she couldn't keep up and wouldn't have managed the lesson planned for the next day. At least they didn't just abandon her mid lesson. I have heard of people being left to find their own way home because their group disappeared off without them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Suspect level 4 won't be very busy, and would be quite interesting. Level 2 in Tignes was busy, but we did some off piste (vallee perdu) etc. Grand ski/level 4 sounded interesting as did L3 (but not for me, I'm a wuss)!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
charlie26, Welcome to snowHead

I'd suggest you PM rob@rar, who has an apartment in Les Arc 1800, & is also a qualified instructor himself. He shadowed some of the instructors in the area during his training, so I know he will give you excellent advice.
Have a great holiday Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My wife had a 1-on-1 snowboard lesson with the ESF in Oz en Oisans this year. I watched from a far and was very disappointed. He tried to get her to ride a drag. She fell over about 5 times; the instructor didn't offer any advice, and then finally gave up. She spent the rest of the hour being given minimal input and only being able to use the really basic beginners slope. I achieved far more with her in the same amount of time, and I'm only an intermediate.

My daughter, however, has been with the ESF twice and I have no real complaints.

It seems to be the luck of the draw as to the instructor you get.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
a friend highly reccomends "Bruno" the trainee instructor at Arc 1800 who will scare the poo-poo out of you off piste!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bring on Bruno Toofy Grin
ski holidays
charlie26, when are you coming to Les Arcs. If you can ski all pistes then level 4 should be ok for there advanced groups. Like all ski schools, you get good and bad instructors and the group size does depend on what time of season it is. At level 4 there might not be many English speakers in your group but if you ask for an English speaking Instructor and make sure you get one then you should be ok. There are also a number of other ski schools in Arc 1800. See the link on the Snow reports page under the thread Les Arcs 2009 / 2010.

If you prefer to have private lessons PM me and I can give you names of very good english speaking instructors in Arc 1800, some work for ESF. There are a number that we use all the time for off piste trips.

Hope that helps. Depending on when you are out might see you in Arc 1800.
latest report
charlie26, See what ski new generation (in vallandry) are offering for the week you are out. Small school, great instructors. You would struggle to make an 09:15 meeting in Vallandry, but for all their later classes you should be fine. They are flexible enough to set alternative meeting points if that works better for the whole group.
snow conditions
i arrive on the 23 jan i have spoke to new generation ,but they only have private lessons which ithink will workout to expensive it will take a few days to get a grip with the powder .one thinks Razz Shock
snow report
Quote:

it will take a few days to get a grip with the powder

there might not be any powder of course! Other kinds of snow off piste, though.
snow report
this year they will be lots of powder, keep the faith,
ski holidays
I have skied many times with ESF and they have taught all of my children - in several resorts but mostly Les Arcs recently. I think they have been absolutely fantastic. When we go to France we are quite happy to 'do as the French so' - yes, sometimes this is a little different to the Brit way, but hey, we can get that at home! Sure they have a generally quite focused attitude to skiing and tend to take a no nonsense approach to children who want to spoil it for everyone else - but we've always felt that's what we are paying for.
latest report
velodocuk, quite agree, they taught me when I was young, now they teach my neices, nephews and my friends kids and they are already becoming very good skiers or boarders, it just depends on the attitude you have towards there way of doing things. But you do sometimes get a bad instructor, but that can happen anywhere. If that happens, make a fuss and it should be corrected quickly.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy