Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If the ski mojo is so good why are there so few stockists?

Poster: A snowHead
Being 40 means I can't quite ski with the same energy as when I was 15 so I was looking at the website for ski mojo. It looks interesting, its claims sensational but when I searched for stockists there were so few-why?

Why aren't the big guns of UK ski retailing stocking this item? I would have thought Snow and Rock and EB might stock and fit it but apparently not. Any ideas guys?

Also, is wearing one 'cheating'?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kevin mcclean, Ask Frosty the Snowman, he likes his one. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kevin mcclean, they sell direct. No need for suppliers. I have a Mojo, it is superb.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alastair Pink, Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
looks jolly fiddly to fit? I saw the fitting video-a bit of a kerfuffle?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kevin mcclean, but skiing is a kerfuffle. Sorting out your boots, your bindings, etc.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, that's right, pam, I suppose..........

It gets more of a kefuffle as you get older. Still, it wastes time on the hill so it's not all bad.......
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I felt a bit of a kn0b the first time I wore a helmet, but it only lasted 5 minutes and I have never skied without one since. Don't think I would ever get over feeling like a kn0b wearing one of these. YES it is cheating, at least if you are able bodied.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There-a definite answer! Thanks.

Concept of 'cheating' is an interesting one.

1. The carving 'revolution' was berated as cheating-it's not now. Of course all skis are designed to carve, even the skinny ones I learnt on in 1980.
2. Fat boy skis in 1989 were seen as cheating-it's not now
3. Derbyflex plates were seen as lazy ways for recreational skiers to get edge angles-now this sort of thing is pretty common.

Is the mojo a cheater method really? Time and attitudes will tell........
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kevin mcclean,
You make a good point. Just can't see it catching on, in fact it hasn't I first saw it at the ski show, think it was 3 years ago
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think I'm inclined to agree with you. I remember reading quite a bit about this a couple of years ago and I am surprised the retailers haven't bitten on it. There must be a reason? I would've thought it would have been a boon with middle aged skiers whose imaginations far exceed their fitness levels. Anyhow, perhaps the retailers don't see a big market for it, or perhaps the product is a real fiddle to fit.

Enlightenment anyone?

I am thinking of buying one........!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kevin mcclean wrote:

I am thinking of buying one........!

Then look on Ebay
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Isn't the answer to the first question simple? They will make more money by selling what is a niche product direct to the punter. Big chains might demand onerous terms or sale-or-return. You don't see the skiers edge machines on sale all over the place. People who want them know where to get them. There is a review of the mojo in S&B this month which is pretty close to advertorial IMHO.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great-thanks!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Derbyflex plates... recreational skiers...

Shocked Riser plates perhaps but full on Deflex for punters? Don't remember that happening.
snow report
Quite-but the derivative for punters is perhaps what I'm getting at.
latest report
Quote:

YES it is cheating, at least if you are able bodied.

But if you have damaged, arthritic, knees you not able bodied, are you?
snow conditions
kevin mcclean, If you are only 40 I would suggest you spend a bit more time keeping fit
ski holidays
is it basically like a hip replacement? I cant understand it
ski holidays
Riverman, well, I am fit, have lots of experience and I suppose I have my own reasons for thinking about it.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 29-11-09 11:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Kel wrote:
I felt a bit of a kn0b the first time I wore a helmet, but it only lasted 5 minutes and I have never skied without one since. Don't think I would ever get over feeling like a kn0b wearing one of these. YES it is cheating, at least if you are able bodied.

The mojo gives on a bit more power and energy in the knees for those that don't have it. By the same rational it also reduces knee pain for those that suffer. Not really sure what the big deal is here; either you have bad knees or you don't Puzzled The original fixing takes about 30 minutes and requires a bit of thought but is fairly easy. Putting the mojo on before sking adds about 3 minutes, clipping the rods on prior to skiing takes 30 seconds. Both of these are a slight inconvenience...but if you have suffered proper knee pain either during or after skiing then you will know that £250 and a bit of faffing aboout is a tiny price to pay.

I don't think those without arthritis can understand how hard skiing can be on the knees and therefore may be puzzled as to the benefits the Mojo can bring.

Kel - you should think about feeling less knobs Toofy Grin
ski holidays
latest report
Kel, "cheating" is a rather peculiar word to use about non-competitive sport, isn't it? If it were somehow "not cricket" to take steps which help compensate for physical imperfections then what about hours and £££££££££££££ spent on footbeds, boot canting, etc. If you've got bandy legs, then you should just jolly well learn to get your skis flat on the snow without fiddling around with your boot cuffs. Is that it?
snow conditions
I suppose a lot of it goes back to arguments suggesting that acquiring the skills for skiing should somehow be a tortuous process. 'Short cuts', being aided and abetted by 'revolutionary equipment' is somehow by-passing the almost monastic processes of reaching skiing enlightenment (for example when I skied on 205cm skis off-piste skiing took longer to pick up whereas now popping on a pair of oversized planks by-passes this torture).

There is an unfortunate inference about suggesting that reaching skiing nirvana ought to involve pain-why?

I think I might by a pair, if only to wear them in the pub.
snow report
I would be keen to here off users experiances with the mojo. I am fit 33yr old male 6ft 14 stone, i have no problem skiing all day on blues and reds. But i do suffer when charging blacks run after run or in powder. Burning thighs and general my legs have gone to jelly feeling if ya get my drift.

If the mojo would help alleviate or stave off the burning thighs for a little bit longer, whats not to like.

Yes if i was skiing all winter, i would get ski fit and have no doubt i could charge the blacks for a bit longer with out aides, but sadly i live in the Uk and have to work for a living and if i am lucky i get 2 ski holidays a year. So getting totaly ski fit as if you live in a resort and can ski every day is sadly not an option. And the only way to get propper ski fit is to ski, going to the Gym, running etc all help a bit but are no substitute for the real thing. With the jaring, bouncing about over bumps etc.

if a mojo user replies to this and says that it will be ideal for what im after, and it can make my 2 1 week ski holidays more enjoyable as i can take on the steeper terrain for longer whats not to like..........................as they say in the dragons den "im in"
ski holidays
depthjunkie, I'm not sure why living in the UK means that you can't get ski fit. I live in the UK, and I'm ski fit.
latest report
I'd ask what on earth 'ski fit' means if I wasn't absolutely certain that the resulting discussion would entirely sap my will to live.
snow report
I am ski fit, as i said i can ski blue-red all day long, all week with no bother along with a few blacks mixed in for good measure throughout the day.

But charging hard on blacks and off piste all day run after run i get thigh burn and jelly legs after 3-4 consecutive runs and need to stop for 10mins to get the feeling back in my thighs, if the mojo helps with that and keeps me going longer whats not to like?????
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard wrote:
I'd ask what on earth 'ski fit' means if I wasn't absolutely certain that the resulting discussion would entirely sap my will to live.

Laughing Laughing
snow report
Quote:

if the mojo helps with that and keeps me going longer whats not to like?????

£300 and the fact that you have to drill your boots would certainly give me pause for thought.

Personally although getting old and a bit creaky and unfit I will probably give it a miss for now, I would rather spend the money on something that will improve my skiing such as lessons. Having read the bumf and looked at the web site I have discussed it with my wife whose knees do suffer when skiing. She is not keen on the bulk of the device though and the slight faff factor in fitting.
latest report
Lizzard, So I take it you've not changed your view from the original thread about the Ski Mojo:

"I have to hope that even at 72 I won't be senile enough to pay for the privilege of having a stick up my bum. "

Toofy Grin
snow report
kevin mcclean wrote:
There is an unfortunate inference about suggesting that reaching skiing nirvana ought to involve pain-why?

Because those who reach there via "path of pain" doesn't want it get all crowded by the masses. Very Happy

Quote:
(for example when I skied on 205cm skis off-piste skiing took longer to pick up whereas now popping on a pair of oversized planks by-passes this torture)

It's worse than that. The clueless skiers on fat planks mess up the powder for everyone. That's in addition to the clueless boarders that are already doing that.

That said, I'm all for technological aids. And when I said aid, I would include equipment, lesson, AND FITNESS.

(I'm much fitter than my parents at the same age. And I do everything I can to stay as fit as I can. So I'm hopeful I'll be MUCH FITTER than my parents at their age. My Dad had to quit a lot of what he like by the time he reach 50. I don't plan to. Though even my parents are getting the message and are doing their best to stay as fit as they could despite decades of neglect)

Equipment is the easiest to get. Just put down some money and you have it. No need to do boring drills or worse, sweat and soreness in the gym! But equipment may mask technique inefficiency and poor fitness which in later years will severely limit your ability to enjoy the same. So, while I'm no subscriber of the "path of pain to ski nirvana", I would first question the "benefit" of many equipment as to whether it's for the best in the long run.

If a new equipment benefits both the fit and unift, the technically proficient or deficient as well, I'd say it's probably a good technological advance that will stay. But if it primarily benefits beginer or the unfit, I'd suspect it maybe a short cut that lead to dead ends rather than nirvana. i.e. marketing fad put out by the manufacturer for the sole purpose of seperating your money from you! Wink

(Not saying the Mojo is a fake. Just answering the random mussing of why new advances in equipments are always being knocked by the "old timers", some correctly some not)
ski holidays
I am fairly fit for my age - I can walk quite a long way up a mountain at a decent pace, and I do a fair bit of exercise, especially when the ski season is coming up. I can strengthen my leg muscles, to support the knee joints, I can do side planks etc etc etc. I am limited only by how much time and effort I am prepared to put in. However, the knee joints are not terrific. After a hard day, especially if the snow is quite hard, they are very puffy, and hot to the touch (you can feel the heat through a pair of heavy denim jeans).

No amount of "time and effort" can do anything about that - rest (and ibuprofen) is the answer. I'm not overweight (as lots of people with bad knees are, and it puts huge extra strain on the joints). My knees have arthritic damage, and that's that; it's not bad, compared to many people, but it will only get worse. As far as I'm concerned the mojo, if I decided to get one, would be absolutely nothing to do with fatigue, or fitness. It would purely be to give some artificial aid to my knee joints, and would mean that they carry less weight and take less punishment (I use walking poles in the summer for exactly the same reason, especially going downhill).
ski holidays
So, nothing to do with this fella then?
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Kel, "cheating" is a rather peculiar word to use about non-competitive sport, isn't it? If it were somehow "not cricket" to take steps which help compensate for physical imperfections then what about hours and £££££££££££££ spent on footbeds, boot canting, etc. If you've got bandy legs, then you should just jolly well learn to get your skis flat on the snow without fiddling around with your boot cuffs. Is that it?

"Cheating" it was the reply to the original post. Footbeds for me at least was not intended as performance enhancing purchase, bought them for comfort. If I were YOU with YOUR knees then I would almost definitely have a Mojo and anyone observing would probably think, good on her she wants to go skiing so much she is prepared to wear those ridiculous looking caliper thingamyjig's. But for someone buying just because they are out of shape for their age then IMHO it's as you say"just not cricket".

Wonder why they are not endorsed by a famous ageing ex downhill racer, having a picture of Franz Klammer on the box would give them some cred.
snow report
Ah, the Mojo thread returns. Frosty the Snowman, did a nice review of it.

Quote:

Don't most threads here have that effect on you Lizzard, ? You know it is partly the attraction.
snow report
http://www.skiallday.co.uk/sm/
snow conditions
I,m 59 on a ski season in st anton, have skied for last 60 days so am very "ski fit" but my knees are knackered from years of skiing and hurt . Tomorrow I am going to try out these Mojo,s if they work I hope to ski the next 90 days still "ski fit" but having more ski fun, which is what it,s all about.
ski holidays
Just get them - I've had mine for 4 years and love them! Worth every minute of the extra 3 getting dressed in the morning....
snow report
I would have stopped skiing were it not for my Ski Mojo, because of Sheree age and lack of fitness. The difference the kit makes to a day’s skiing is just amazing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy