Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

powder skirts...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
would it be so tragic if I got myself a technical jacket that had no integral powder skirt? This was suggestion of shop staff at Ellis Brigham. TBH I don't do much if any off piste and don't do a lot of falling over. I spent a rather fruitless hour in Ellis Brigham trying to get a women's shell jacket that had all the criteria I want these being: Pass pocket, decent hood, powder skirt, taped seams, no fur, no glitter, no sequins, not white. The only one that looked anywhere near it was an arteryx one, but this brand only goes to L and I need XL/16.

So, do I try to get a ladies walking jacket instead sans skirt. Please don't recommend I try men's for as I have pointed out before, they are always way too long in the sleeves by the time you have factored lady hips into them.

Ta.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go skirtless...!! wink wink

Skirts are great for powder days and to stop upward breezes. Otherwise they are unimportant and just a handy 'extra'. Same with snow cuffs really...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skirt is nice, but one of the last things I would look for in a jacket if I stuck to the piste.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
MarjMJ, I have powder skirts on a couple of jackets and I scarcely ever remember to do them up. And I especially didn't remember to do them up on rare occasion when I fell in the powder (not because I'm so good, but because I ski mostly on piste). On those occasions it's the snow down the neck that I find particularly unwelcome. General comfort is far more important, plus a hood that isn't ridiculous. I like nice cosy cuffs round the wrists, though.

But I do fall down not infrequently on-piste. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've had both, if I really like a jacket that doesn't have a powder skirt it doesn't put me off buying it. It's a 'nice to have' IMO.

Having said that if I know I'm skiing powder I will try to wear a jacket that does have a skirt. I finally managed to get some bibbed trousers that weren't black this season, quite happy about that, I'll have the perfect seal this season!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Powder skirts are not that important, unless you fall a lot offpiste. An adjustable draw cord at the bottom seam works quite well in my experience. One jacket I have has a skirt that unless it is done up stops the jacket from being comfortable, the rubber anti slip seems to drag it down.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Having seen my better half spend quite a bit of time looking for a jacket with pretty much the same list of criteria she's just bought a North Face Fontaine.

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi?prod_code_in=306917

Looks like it meets all your critieria and the large is listed as being size 16. But maybe this is too softshell if you're looking for something more waterproof?

I have an Arc'teryx Fury softshell jacket which I bought in preference to the hard shell ones (I find softshell more comfy) and have had no issues with it not being waterproof enough for skiing. Wouldn't trust it for a day walking in the rain though!

Your "no fur, no glitter, no sequins, not white." did make me smile. Women's ski wear does seem to have gone a little fluffy of late!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MarjMJ, I ski (and fall) off piste most of the time - and don't think I've ever had a jacket with a powder skirt. I don't think I've ever had a "ski jacket" either - I always have fairly technical hiking/climbing jackets (ski jackets are way too hot and bulky). Powder skirt is maybe a nice to have, must mostly irrelevant. Just make sure there is a good drawcord at the bottom seam.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
MarjMJ, I have powder skirts on a couple of jackets and I scarcely ever remember to do them up.

MarjMJ, I have powder skirts on a couple of jackets and it's very rare that they will actually go round me to do up Embarassed
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My powder skirt, even done up as tight as it goes, doesn't seem to keep the snow out very well when I fall on the piste - so I don't think it can make too much difference. That problem was there even before I lost weight, so I suspect I will end up with lots of snow up my jacket and down my trousers this year!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks everyone. Gadge, Thanks for the link. They didn't have that one in the shop [and I am certainly nowhere near the wasp waist shape that the pic shows - must be expecting a lot of Edwardian ladies going out on the piste!]
eng_ch, I sympathise.

Having seen some of parlor, 's gnarly jumpy pix from last year, I feel honoured by your comments snowHead snowHead .

FWIW on the arcteryx homepage they do have the particular jacket I was looking at in XL, which apparently is stocked by S+R, BUT...only in white... Evil or Very Mad

May have to take flangesax, advice NehNeh Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I had a jacket without skirt so used the drawcord round the bottom instead. The only issue was that it was a longish length jacket and so the drawcord kept sliding up over my bum to my waist, and with my trousers slowly migrating downwards throughout the day (bit too big for me), I did sometimes end up with snow down my bum, but not up my jacket.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great if you you take a major stack in the powder (and if you say otherwise you haven't taken a proper stack), but unnecessary onpiste.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy