Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Tyres

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know there are loads of posts on here about snow tyres but...

Do people think it is a worth while investment if you are going for the season??? I have snow chains but can't decide if it is worth the money or not as I am unsure how much I will use the car in bad conditions as Ill take the bus!

Any advice welcome
Cheers!

p.s. not worried about weather it is the law or not! wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dry Boy, Going for a season. Yes.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sure you mean "Snow tyres" and not "winter tyres"?

Will you be classed as a resident or a tourist/visitor?

If you decide not to put winter tyres on it probably better you leave the car standing during the winter months. A sudden change of weather could catch you out and then there could be insurance implications.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Definitely. You will get very bored with chains in extremely short order, and without winter tyres you will certainly have to use them. You may find that they are cheaper here than in the UK, and you should get a few quotes because prices vary wildly - eg I was quoted 325€ at one place for four tyres plus fitting, but ended up paying 180€ at another.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeap Winter tyres!

Not too sure on the tourist/resident!

I have a room booked for the season but my car insurance will be with Liverpool Victoria, in England as they give you 180 days in Europe.

I drove down before to france with ordinary tyres but was only there for a week.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes - my winter tyres went on earlier this month. There is even a possibilty that my local resort will open this weekend for some lift served skiing. Keep an eyo on:

http://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk/

but at the moment they are saying

"Weather permitting, we hope to open for snowsports this weekend, running the Ciste tow and Ptarmigan tow. A run to the middle is not possible, but this may change with continued snowfall. There are some high winds and blizzards forecast-visit Colin's blog to read today's update from Ski Patrol."
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB wrote:

Why would it matter? Winters play easy on tourists/visitors and not so easy on residents?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Unless you need use of your car eg to get to work every morning I wouldn't bother with them. When buckets are coming down just get the bus (if it's running!).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
primoz wrote:
DB wrote:

Why would it matter? Winters play easy on tourists/visitors and not so easy on residents?

It's a gray area and the law appears to be easier on tourists than residents here in the winter. Residents are almost certainly going to experience central european winter conditions more than a tourist.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dry Boy

Don't bother given you are (a) Not working and (b) staying in Moulin - I had them in Plan Peisey last season (some 300m higher) and probably only really needed them 2-3 times. They were nice to have on the morning you wanted to meet a 10am flight in GVA as you were confident that you could get down the hill without chains, but if you're not doing that often then I wouldn't worry. When you want to go down to Super U in Bourg you just pick a day when it's not snowing...

The roads are cleared pretty quickly, and come mid-late Feb it's all melted down there anyway. Do get some chains and practice putting them on before you go.

HTH
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy