Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What DIN are your bindings set at?

Poster: A snowHead
Haggis_Trap, not Markers? Wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Well here is a handy marker / salomon DIN calculator for everyone...

http://www.dinsetting.com/

Though I reckon most pre-releases are perhaps caused by either

- badly adjusted toe or heel piece.
- snow & ice on the boot sole after hiking (eeeeeeek !!!)

Or walking from the bar Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I ski on DIN 7 and I'm 1m77 66kg BSL 317. At this height and weight I'm at max in both height and weight categories in the range so I go up in one category. I was on 5 and had a lost ski incident like the OP when I really shouldn't, losing a ski in more serious terrain can be pretty bad so I went up to skier type 3 (which I should have been anyway) and also realised I was top in both height and weight categories so went up in one of those which makes it 7. There is no reason you can't carry a screwdriver and drop it down a bit for piste skiing.

One the boot wear issue, if you have good bindings they usually compensate but it is still worth keeping an eye on.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 28-11-09 17:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
5'11, 82kg. Can't remember boot size (I don't keep them here) but I take a 10.5 shoe. 24.5 rings a bell, but not sure if it's the right bell. 9 at the front and 10 at the rear. Found I was releasing more often from the rear than the front, so went for a differential.

Generally, I'll only lose one if I get tired and start fighting with them (and my boots) in bumps. or I jam an edge in hard somewhere (usually bumps again).

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 27-11-09 23:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
narc wrote:
.......One the boot wear issue, if you have good bindings they usually compensate but it is still worth keeping an eye one.

Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, My grammer cud do better Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not sure if this is any science behind this but I was told years ago that a good rough guide is:

Everyday piste skiing - DIN = weight in Kg /10

For off piste or racing - DIN = weight in stones

Always worked fine for me over the years although I am prepared to stand corrected by the more clued up out there!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
greg66, 24.5 would be ubber ubber tight!

narc, I guess you mean self-adjusting toe heights? Doesn't wash for me, the AFD is very important.

SkiTigger, that's pretty much spot on actually. I still use it as a rough guide.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
parlor wrote:
greg66, 24.5 would be ubber ubber tight!

Heheheh. Yes. You might have a point there. 24.5 would put me in a size 5 shoe. I like 'em snug, but FFS...!

I won't try guessing again. I'll look next time I'm in W.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
90kg, 6'1", BSL 325mm, DIN 9-10.

I can't remember pre-releasing in the last few years
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
88Kg, 5ft 7" BSL 315mm, DIN 6.5. Was at 6 till last year when I had a couple of unexpected releases.

I remember the days of turning the binding up 1/2 a turn at a time untill you couldnt kick your foot out (NO markings then), mind you they also had leashes instead of brakes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DIN 4
Weight 55 kgs
Height 5'4
Ski length 1.55
Off piste, trees, burried fallen log = knee surgery.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm intrigued by the OP, and why he had to ski the whole of the vallee blanche with only one ski. Did the other one fall down a crevasse? Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dulcamara wrote:
demos, I have seen a few people turning their feet out of bindings around 10, this would worry me, does it happen with all bindings or the ones you are on at the moment?

Mate had a pair of LOOKs he could turn out of at 8/9, changed skis and they were fine.

It's really with rental bindings that I've had the most trouble. Some plastic Salomons I've tried didn't hold at all (they ended somewhere at DIN 9)and once loosing the skis on a steep when turning and barely recovering without major damage made me very scared of prerelease. I'm on 914s and they're solid.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scarpa wrote:
I'm still on a 7.5 but I'm 73kg and ski with a very light touch... I've fallen over so many times that I just tend to roll and keep the legs clear.

snowHead I thought I was the only loon out there who did that! I'm always impressed with myself when I can roll and keep both skis on.

I'm only on a 7ish but I never pre-release - famous last words obviously!

I'm going to read in to the "low" DIN, that I'm one of those people who is smooth with correct technique!
latest report
I am rather heavy Embarassed (close to 100Kg). I can't remember my boot sole length, but my shoe size is a UK 9, I think Mondo 27.5.

I have always skied on 6.5 or 6.0, and have never had a true pre-release on those settings. (I have popped out once or twice when I hadn't actually clicked in properly, but that isn't the same thing).

I have never been an aggressive skier, but I rather doubt my technique is particularly smooth either.
snow conditions
davelebus wrote:
I'm intrigued by the OP, and why he had to ski the whole of the vallee blanche with only one ski. Did the other one fall down a crevasse? Puzzled

I was skiing the Grand Enver du Plan, also known as the Col du Plan. We were on the 3rd pitch & the temperature had increased massively due to a large temperature gradient so we went from skiing light powder up top to isothermic wet heavy snow. i had a tip dive under a piece of crust & couldn't recover ended up taking a fall. Ski disappeared under the snow. So i started digging for it. After about 20 minutes there was still no sign of my ski & then someone cut a wetslide nearly directly above me. Which ran down within about 20m of me, i'd have been in a lot of trouble had i been in it's path. At this point i decided that the only sensible thing to do was get out of their & quick. Which necessitated unfortunately skiing to the rest of the route to the Requin on one ski & skiing out the rest of the vallee blanche on one ski.

For reference sake i was just below where it says "Glacier do Envers du Plan" in the picture below.

So to paraphrase it was an extremely unpleasant experience in an extremely unpleasant place. After that i vowed never to be in that situation, or worse, again. Sometimes there are worse things than the possibility of blowing a knee. Which incidentally usually happen in slower speed crashes typical of those had by beginners & intermediates.

As to the smartalick above who said why don't i just weld my boots to my skis. Well that wouldn't be very practical when going for beers at lunch or apres, would it now?
snow conditions
frank4short, bvgger! Not good, not good at all. Still unconvinced requiring a heli-evac with (a) blown knee(s) in that situation would be an improvement...but welll done you for getting down on your own.
snow conditions
non release, so no stupid numbers here to worry about.
snow report
Oops, not good! Bet you wear powder trails now, along with clamping in hard.
snow report
Quote:
As to the smartalick above who said why don't i just weld my boots to my skis....

Welding ?
Real super heroes just remove the springs from their salomon bindings wink

Ski on a glacier in one ski = bad guy. Sounds epic.
Though not as dangerous as taking a snowboard off to hike out!
ski holidays
5 foot 9, 66kg (I think...), DIN 9, one up from the charts, but I ski mainly offpiste and hate losing skis, especially when you're a long way from lifts/pistes.
snow report
clarky999, That is more than one up from the charts, unless you have really titchy feet
snow report
I can't remember my boot size, but I don't think my feet are that small... size 8 I think, maybe 9? Could have the weight wrong as well lol, it's been awhile.
latest report
clarky999, Well I am the same height as you, but heavier (95Kg+), size 9 shoes - boot sole length 314mm.

As a type 2 skier, the calculator above says my DIN setting should be 6 aged from 10 up to 49, or 5 if 50 or older (I will be 51 in the middle of my next trip).

Even if I put myself down as a 3+ skier, it only goes to 7 for age 50+, or 8.5 otherwise.

If I plug in your weight, it would only be 7 even for a type 3+ skier at a younger age. And "type 3+" already means you are "up from the charts"
snow conditions
As a 65kg red run skier I bought new boots today in a Mondo 26.5 and the guy who adjusted my bindings lowered the DIN to 5.5
snow conditions
At type 3+ at my age (20) that chart has me at 7 (if I put 66kg as the top limit) or 8.5 (if I go to the weight band above). I can't remember my exact weight 66kg rings a bell, and it's defo around there That was setting my sole length the same as yours, I can't be bothered going to work mine out lol)... I've had bindings fitted to skis at two different shops, both of their charts have said 8. It's probably more likely I have my weight wrong than my DIN wrong. Anyways, they still release when I've needed them too, but not prereleased for a while, so all seems good to me.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy