Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada end of january

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Never been before,what temps are normal this time of year? I know it can get really cold but what is the norm'? I've got an option on some good deals to Banf, Lake Louise or Panorama. Also, what is the best resort all round e.g skiing,food,apres ski and prices?
Cheers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Went in late January 2008 (27th I think) and it was -28C in Calgary - our noses were freezing as we waited for the transfer bus. The immigration guy was joking with us that it would be -40 on the hill, and apparently the lifts had had to close just before we got there as they couldn't work in the cold. Fortunately it warmed up over the week, I think the first day at the top of Goats eye it was about -20C but by the end of our week it was about -10C. To be honest, unless it was windy it didn't feel too bad, I just wore a layer more than I usually do. I usually get too hot anyway when I'm boarding and have to open the vents on my trousers. Taking your gloves off was a bad idea though!

I've only been to Banff (3 times) but it's a great town, plenty of bars and restaurants, and it's extremely cheap compared to the EU resorts. I think the Canadian $ has held up better than the Euro as well, so you'll be saving there. The lift pass is expensive though, getting on for £250+ but you do get the transfer bus to the hill included in that.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have been to Banff a fair bit, everywhere from -40 to a few degrees below.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
andyjc,

As Loyalroyal, says waring the right clothing can combat the extreme temps. Skied in -20 at Lake Louise. Never felt cold except for taking my gloves off. It is incredibe how cold your hands can get in a few seconds!!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Temperatures can vary quite a lot. Below about -27C you need to cover all your exposed skin. Could be as warm as freezing or as cold as -35C. Probably more likely to be in -10C to -25C range.

Panorama would tend to be a few degrees warmer than LL or Banff.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
andyjc wrote:
Also, what is the best resort all round e.g skiing,food,apres ski and prices?
That rather depends what your priorities are. Do you want to give us some clues about your preferences? What kind of skiing do you like? What kind of apres ski do you enjoy? Do you want haute cuisine or something cheap and edible?

Panorama is usually warmer than LL/Banff. It has fantastic advanced skiing but little to commend it to a UK-based intermediate as you can cover all the groomed runs in a few hours of fast skiing. Apres ski will be little more than a beer and a hot tub. You stay by the slopes so it's very convenient but you have no real restaurant choice. It's my idea of skiing heaven, even though it has a well-deserved reputation for ice. It's also the only ski resort that I've ever bothered to visit more than once.

I haven't skied LL/Banf although I've visited the town and read the books. It's likely to be much better for you if you like groomers or a choice of restaurants and don't mind faffing with transport after a hard day's skiing. Take your thermals, though - several layers of them. Personally, I find Banff town to be a tourist trap - albeit a reasonably pleasant one - and I'd rather base myself elsewhere. My view is a minority one, though.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy