Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria /Italy, which resort

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,
Don't post on here much just lurk in the background and read, but as I know there is a wealth of knowledge here on snowheads, i thought I would ask you good people for some advice.
My significant other and I are planning on a trip for a week 2nd or third week in January,looking for a last miute bagain booking bewteen Christmas and new year (Tour op offers). This will be our third season skiing and having done Bulgaria, Tignes and Sierra Nevada in our first season and Banff, Tignes, La Plagne, and Sierra nevada last year.
We are looking for somwhere a little different this season (although i'm off to Tignes again on Monday for 3 days)
We thought we'd like to try Austria or Italy for a change as the budget is much tighter this year.
Our requirements are,

1.At least 100+km of pistes, to suit us both I'm an upper intermediate (reds and easier blacks) and the missus is a lower intermediate (blues and easier reds).
2.Cheapish eating and drinking(cant afford the 6e pints in france)
3. Reasonable Apres, we like a couple of pints after skiing and maybe a few more after dinner in a lively bar if we are not too tired (too old for partying all night so discos not nessesary)
4 Comfortable B&B, chalet or half board accomodation(not luxury just clean and tidy)
5 Easy access to the slopes desirable but not essential. dont mind a ski bus too much, but wont be hireing a car
We'd got our shortlist down to these after doing a bit of research.

Austria :-Kaprun, Soll, Saalbach- hinterglemm, Mayerhofen

Italy :- Bardonecchia, Sauze d’Oulx, Arraba, Canazei.

I'd like your comments on these resorts or any suggestions for others I may have missed
Obviously the snow is a factor but as i am booking late I can take the conditions into account at the time of booking.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 26-11-09 21:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rookiemark,
Havent been there but would have thought Kaprun & Mayerhofen do not meet your prerequisit No. 5 .
Cheers
Mitch
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rookiemark,
Sorry, just saw the 'not essential' element of no. 5.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
While it isn't exactly ski in ski out, most accommodation in Mayerhofen is within a few minutes walk of the Penken gondola and the resort has an excellent bus service. In every other respect including price I would have thought that it meets your requirements perfectly. I know it meets mine and will be there again at Easter.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Corky, Thanks for your reply, I have actually been to Mayerhofen in the summer, for walking/cycling so I know the resort layout pretty well and although it is on our shortlist we would possibly like to try somwhere different. Having said that if the snow is good and the price of the hol is right we would certianly return for Skiing this time.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Rookiemark, Kaprun is fine for a couple of days or if snow is in short supply lower down. In view of the height and lack of trees it is not great in snowy or windy weather though combining it with Zell am See would make it a better bet.
http://www.zellamsee-kaprun.com/en

From your short list I think Saalbach http://www.saalbach.com/en/winter.html would tick all your boxes as far as Austria is concerned. I've not been to Mayrhofen but am told that it is a very young crowd and very party animal?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not been but people who have been to kitzbuhel with similar requirements to yours have raved about it when the snow cover is good. Have not always heard rave reviews of the snow cover.
List looks sensible, personally I would wait till even closer to departure to pick a bargain and get the best snow.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rookiemark, I would steer clear of Austria........ wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
T Bar, Yeah i should have put Start looking for a last miute bagain booking bewteen Christmas and new year, Thanks for the reply though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The only place I've been to which fits your requirements is Kitzbuhel. If you stay in a hotel at the Hahnenkamm end of town point 5 of your list is covered too.

I've also been to Courmayeur which fits three of your requirements but you'll almost certainly need a bus and cable car/bubble lift to get to the slopes and the ski area is more like 60km. But the après, accommodation and ambience are excellent.

I shall watch this thread with interest, you have many similar requirements to me.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you added Selva in Italy (which fits all your criteria) you could increase your chances of finding something, as plenty of TOs go there.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rookiemark, I would have thought Saalbach would tick all your boxes and there's more uplift from the town that the other Austrian resorts. Can't comment on the Italian resorts as I've not been to them. Worth looking into Gerlos (not too far from Mayrhofen) too http://www.gerlos.at/en/gerlos/winter/start_winter.html Not been but was a whisker away from booking for this years trip. www.ineedsnow.com good for independent reports on all things Austrian
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dk100 wrote:
Rookiemark, I would steer clear of Austria........ wink

I totally agree. This way there's less people on slopes and much more fun for me Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Robboj, you're right Mayrhofen is full of young party animals like me and my 7 mates (42-46) Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
queen bodecia, Looked at Courmayeur, but a mate who has been, and has skied with me, said i would need more milage than the resort offers to aviod getting bored.Having said that we will look at it if a cheap deal comes up. Will,look at Kitsbuhel if the snows good though.
RobinS, I'll do some research on Selva. Thanks.
edited for spelling
ski holidays
Id like to put my suggestion down for Schladming in Austria.

Fair sized resort with decently priced food and drink (Although anything else is expensive)

The main reason i suggest Schaldming is because the last Tuesday of January you have the Mens World Cup Nighrace which is an unbelievable couple of days entertainment. You can stand on the side of the piste with 50,000 other (mostly drunken its fair to say) ski fans for only £15 and see the likes of Body Miller, Benny Raich, Mario Matt etc.

Put it into Youtube and you'll see loads of videos.
snow report
any where on the via lattea is good for mileage. plenty of variation and next door to a french resort (forgot the name) and had some fantastic powder with empty slopes. but night life is not that of the traditional germanic regions. a bit chavie if you ask me.
snow report
bertiebasset, that's not me!!! I'm not sure I like having an impersonator...
snow report
Hi Bertie, seems we have very close names. Will change mine if you like.
latest report
bertiebasset wrote:
Hi Bertie, seems we have very close names. Will change mine if you like.

thanks for the offer, that might make things less confusing...
snow report
no_snow_in_swindon wrote:
Id like to put my suggestion down for Schladming in Austria.

Fair sized resort with decently priced food and drink (Although anything else is expensive)

The main reason i suggest Schaldming is because the last Tuesday of January you have the Mens World Cup Nighrace which is an unbelievable couple of days entertainment. You can stand on the side of the piste with 50,000 other (mostly drunken its fair to say) ski fans for only £15 and see the likes of Body Miller, Benny Raich, Mario Matt etc.

Put it into Youtube and you'll see loads of videos.

no_snow_in_swindon fellow swindon dweller Madeye-Smiley Are you in Schladming for the nightrace this January ? If so, perhaps we should meet up for a beer and / or slide ?
snow conditions
bertiebasset, The name of the French resort is Montgenevre. A rather charming resort with some good skiing, I happened to learn to ski there.
snow conditions
Timberwolf,

Dont know yet. We are off that week and Schladming is the resort of choice because of the nightrace, however due to finances we going to have to make a last minute booking (Got some shares vesting the previous week that i can cash in)

We're going to plonk ourselves in the travel agents on the wednesday or thursday of the week and see what comes up, but will be trying for Schladming as we had a great time last year. I'll keep you posted.
snow report
no_snow_in_swindon, good stuff, hope you're successful....
snow report
no_snow_in_swindon... I have got availability over that period at the mo... train shuttles are also running between radstadt and Schladming for the race...
snow report
flangesax,

Funnily enough i was looking at your website the other day and it does look perfect for what we're after. But as i said, we wont be able to commit to anything untill that week leading upto it.

However.... I did enter your competition the other day!! Little Angel
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy